Updates Orbital Sciences' Cygnus CRS Flight 1 through Flight 8 updates.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow... Never seen that happen. This is going to seriously effect Orbital Sciences. Is there any news on why it failed... I know its a little early but.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Damage should be only to the pad area, as announced and as somewhat clear on the stream. The rocket got into the air but didn't really move laterally before falling back down.

FWIW, your current signature has never been more relevant...just sayin'....

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Wow... Never seen that happen. This is going to seriously effect Orbital Sciences. Is there any news on why it failed... I know its a little early but.

Way too early to know for sure, but the initial failure looked like it was on the NK-33 engine.

If so, this might very well be the final end of that engine.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Unverified sequence of events on Wikipedia:
At T+3 seconds a fireball is seen coming out of the main engine section. The vehicle experienced a loss of thrust and quickly began to fall down to the ground; at T+6 seconds the rocket exploded, destroying the spacecraft and damaging the launch facility.
Which matches what I thought I saw.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Unverified sequence of events on Wikipedia:

Which matches what I thought I saw.

Because it was just written by someone that saw what you saw. Nothing more.

Wikipedia, for something that happened 10 minutes ago. Seriously?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Wikipedia, for something that happened 10 minutes ago. Seriously?

Of course. Wikipedia gets a surge of edits for any breaking news.

Just looking at it for the sake of looking at it; not expecting any useful info.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The Castor 30XL sure burned along time.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
So, real quickly, I saw that Orbital had a new advanced cygnus launch on the 130. Will they do that now that this rocket is downed? If it is an engine problem, will they have to trash it? If so, it will take them a long time before they set that up again.

MattBaker

Reaction score
before Antares-120 ok, now new Antares-130 crash :facepalm:

The change was a new upper stage. This launch failure seems to have been a problem with the first stage. So I don't see how the new upper stage is relevant.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My guess is from the refueling.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Well, it defiantly looks like the engine exploded. Whether that was the cause or an effect of something else, I don't know.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
So, a couple of questions.

1) Does NASA lead it's own investigations? Were the shuttle investigations NASA run, or does the government do something else?

2) Do you think NASA will post a video of the failed launch? Yes, it may be a failure and a humilliation to Orbital, but the explosion was quite intense and worth watching again.

3) Also, the lead engineer stated over the intercom on NASA TV that there were some "classified" things in cygnus. Does anybody know what in the world that was about? (No invasion of government privacy.)

SpaceEagle

GEP Reborn Project Manager
Reaction score
I think the defueling yesterday after that boat:censored: incident may have did something to the engines.

:cheers:, SpaceEagle

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like a combustion chamber or turbopump catastrophic failure...

GigaG

Reaction score
So, a couple of questions.

1) Does NASA lead it's own investigations? Were the shuttle investigations NASA run, or does the government do something else?

2) Do you think NASA will post a video of the failed launch? Yes, it may be a failure and a humilliation to Orbital, but the explosion was quite intense and worth watching again.

3) Also, the lead engineer stated over the intercom on NASA TV that there were some "classified" things in cygnus. Does anybody know what in the world that was about? (No invasion of government privacy.)

1. I don't know.
2. Whether or not NASA does, it has already been posted to YouTube.
3. I did not know that... maybe a classified payload a la early Space Shuttle DoD missions? I was thinking an experiment of sorts. You would think it would be on the Cygnus itself, as I doubt the US would want to bring its classified material aboard the ISS, given the US' current state of relations with Russia.

As for the explosion, I find it ironic that this rocket, which used engines which were based on Soviet N1 engines, failed in a similar manner as the N1-5L disaster. (Not to badmouth Russian engineering - Russia makes some pretty great engines!)

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The change was a new upper stage. This launch failure seems to have been a problem with the first stage. So I don't see how the new upper stage is relevant.

...unless of course the heavier load on top caused gimbals problems and kaboom, but that would mean some serious design flaw at OSC.

Since the engines were all test-fired before integration, one major line that must be checked is if something was left over inside the engine (this sounds so......Russian, except that it happened on an Ariane 4 in 1990 as well, which were it not for the FTS would have crashed into Kourou town center).