Orbinaut's conference

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if we could find a place to meet, once a year?

Orbinauts from all over the world could meet, exchange ideas, see the latest developments, vote for their favourite add-ons etc.

Just a thought that (in my opinion) was worth posting.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Yeah. Everyone would be talking about their own addons and not listening to anybody else :)

Seriously, the Orbinauts are too much spread over the world. I don't think that it could be possible unless you have country mates nearby.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
There's been a few meet-ups in the past (mostly in Europe). The orbiteer community is still very small though, so 10 'nauts in the same place is an accomplishment.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Awesome idea! Not sure how practical it would be, but it sure would be fun!

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
There are a few things to consider... Cost would be one of them!

But i know that i would definetely pay 10 bucks to get a handwritten signature from Dr. Martin Schweiger on my Orbiter manual!

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah. Everyone would be talking about their own addons and not listening to anybody else :)

Seriously, the Orbinauts are too much spread over the world. I don't think that it could be possible unless you have country mates nearby.

Somehow... i haven't found any Greek Orbinauts yet... That's exactly the reason why whe should meet! Different countries, different ways of thought, all brought together by Dr Martin's vision...

There's been a few meet-ups in the past (mostly in Europe). The orbiteer community is still very small though, so 10 'nauts in the same place is an accomplishment.

Really? It's a start...
I'm actually thinking of at least 100 Orbinauts in one room!
(Book signings, challenges with a trophy, T-Shirts, etc...)

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It does sound like a lot of fun. Maybe we could start by trying this in each large region (Europe, East Russia, West Russia, North Africa, Southern Africa, US/Canada, etc.) and see how that goes. It is something I've always wanted to do. I can see 50 orbinauts in one room, with 2 giant projectors, racing against each other from KSC to Wideawake...

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
It does sound like a lot of fun. Maybe we could start by trying this in each large region (Europe, East Russia, West Russia, North Africa, Southern Africa, US/Canada, etc.) and see how that goes. It is something I've always wanted to do. I can see 50 orbinauts in one room, with 2 giant projectors, racing against each other from KSC to Wideawake...

Agentgonzo would be the winner of that one! lol (hell... 1000 seconds, with a "handbrake" landing!)

Somehow... Dr Martin has managed to speak to ALL Of US, by using the one-true-universal language... (even if some of us don't speak it very well...)

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Agentgonzo would be the winner of that one! lol (hell... 1000 seconds, with a "handbrake" landing!)

I just downloaded and watched that. That was pro, agentgonzo. So epic and well done. How did you time that landing with the hover engines so perfectly? And how did you get it to an angle of attack of 90 degrees like that?

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Probably the best you can hope for is a virtual meeting such as on Second Life or the like. In that regard, this Forum is quite close to that...

For USAians an event like Oshkosh or a KSC launch would be a good focal point to have a physical meet-up.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I think this is a good idea in principle, but something quite difficult to implement from a logistical / geographical point of view. Per-country / region meet-ups seem more successful ventures.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
We've discussed the idea of a meet here in the Houston, Texas at Johnson Space Center, but real life got in the way. :p

Indeed there have been some people who met in Europe and perhaps we can eventually hold a meet here in the states. I am still trying to host one here in Houston, but money is hard to come by at the moment and with the state of our economy I suspect fewer people would be able or willing to travel.

For myself I am just finished with my home this year since Ike hit us back in 2008. This summer I am planning to work more hours than I previously could in an effort to save money for organizing a meet in Houston as I originally wanted to.

Peter3210

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if we could find a place to meet, once a year?

How about a video-conference via webcam in which a dozen or so people each have 2 computers and 2 monitors operating simultaneously? One of the PCs would run Orbiter while the other would handle their webcam. People would initially aim their webcam at themselves to talk about what they've accomplished recently in Orbiter. Whenever they needed to demonstrate a particular point they could re-position their webcam so as to be directed at the monitor running Orbiter. That way they could talk about a specific orbit they have created and then demonstrate the result with a live Orbiter performance on their computer.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
We've discussed the idea of a meet here in the Houston, Texas at Johnson Space Center, but real life got in the way. :p

Indeed there have been some people who met in Europe and perhaps we can eventually hold a meet here in the states. I am still trying to host one here in Houston, but money is hard to come by at the moment and with the state of our economy I suspect fewer people would be able or willing to travel.

For myself I am just finished with my home this year since Ike hit us back in 2008. This summer I am planning to work more hours than I previously could in an effort to save money for organizing a meet in Houston as I originally wanted to.
You know I'm up for a Houston meet anytime. :thumbup: (Of course JSC would be the best spot)
We got lucky in Ike. Just a bit of wet carpet. :)

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Perhaps, Orbinaut meeting in Greece will be exactly what we all need? Greece is nice at all times (so the people who went there say) and in the current economy conditions we all can expect bargain prices in hotels. Also, supporting Greek economy through coming and leaving some of our money there should be a good thing to do! :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Perhaps, Orbinaut meeting in Greece will be exactly what we all need? Greece is nice at all times (so the people who went there say) and in the current economy conditions we all can expect bargain prices in hotels. Also, supporting Greek economy through coming and leaving some of our money there should be a good thing to do! :)

Great idea! Ouzo for everyone!

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
If I only had one weekend free, I'd attend, but I guess it won't happen anytime soon.

[EDIT] Maybe during summer?

Last edited:

Dambuster

Reaction score

Greece is awesome! :thumbup: