Problem OpenOrbiter2024 Testphase User Issues

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
I get no reaction from any of the sliders in the Post Processing Configuration window except the very bottom one and only if I have Sun Glare activated in the Advanced tab. Situation: stock DG parked on Earth/Mars looking up at the sun. I may have missed something so unsure if user error or not.
Or the short of it, what settings do I need to get the Sun to look like this.
0386.jpg

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So, it seems that the docking logic has been changed, and the "trick" to move the docking port (undock, move port, dock) no longer works without side effects. In Orbiter 2016, if the (re)dock was done using mode 0, the attitude rates where changed but nothing major. Now the docked stack goes into a violent tumble. Using mode 1 or 2 changed the speed, which easily would send the vessels to another planet. Tried to "cheat" and save the vessel state before the undocking, to then set it back after docking, but it doesn't produce positive results. Having this logic in Pre-step or post-step makes no difference. Any ideas?

diogom

Reaction score
So, it seems that the docking logic has been changed, and the "trick" to move the docking port (undock, move port, dock) no longer works without side effects. In Orbiter 2016, if the (re)dock was done using mode 0, the attitude rates where changed but nothing major. Now the docked stack goes into a violent tumble. Using mode 1 or 2 changed the speed, which easily would send the vessels to another planet. Tried to "cheat" and save the vessel state before the undocking, to then set it back after docking, but it doesn't produce positive results. Having this logic in Pre-step or post-step makes no difference. Any ideas?
By saving the state, do you mean GetAngularVel and GetElements? That would be my first guess. Although, in O2016 I've been using mode 2 with Get and SetElements and it's been fine (though something sure seems to have changed, so who knows if that's any better).

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
By saving the state, do you mean GetAngularVel and GetElements? That would be my first guess. Although, in O2016 I've been using mode 2 with Get and SetElements and it's been fine (though something sure seems to have changed, so who knows if that's any better).
I tried the pair GetStatusEx() and DefSetStateEx().

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could you show the code that does this "trick" ? I'll look into it. The code that's been working before.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks, I have checked the source codes and there are no changes related to docking routines. What is the severity of the problem ? If I start working on it, it will take quite some time since I am totally unfamiliar with the code in question. Martin would have a better insight. If a fix is preferred then create a ticket with instructions/scenario on how to reproduce the issue.

What is being docked and where ?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Thanks, I have checked the source codes and there are no changes related to docking routines. What is the severity of the problem ? If I start working on it, it will take quite some time since I am totally unfamiliar with the code in question. Martin would have a better insight. If a fix is preferred then create a ticket with instructions/scenario on how to reproduce the issue.

What is being docked and where ?
The severity is that this "trick" is currently impossible to use, as the docked vessels go into a spin. So, AFAIK that leaves exactly 0 ways to move a docking port, which is what is needed. An "official way" to move the docking port would be nice, but I have no problem with a "trick", as long as it works.

In the extreme, I could disable this feature in SSV, which basically would void my last release and 2 month of work making the docking systems... not ideal.

In the SSV scenarios: "Space Shuttle Vessel\Historic missions\STS-126\STS-126 docking with ISS Nov 16.scn" will have the ISS ready for docking. Just move in, and after docking wait 1 minute for the automatic sequence to start driving the ring (and docking port), and things will happen...
Yes, I can open a ticket, and even craft a scenario and vessel that will have "imminent docking" and reduced time until docking port motion. Just let me park the LaTeX work first.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, so the need to move the docking port comes from a simulation of more realistic docking sequence. That's vital piece of information.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Ok, so the need to move the docking port comes from a simulation of more realistic docking sequence. That's vital piece of information.

Yeah, the need to move the docking port comes from need to retract the docking probe or docking ring. This accounts for the vast majority of real-world spacecraft.

It's also worth mentioning (not a feature request, yet at least):
  • Prior to retraction there is some amount of flexibility between real-world docked vessels. (Probably harder to simulate)
  • Many probe-and-drogue type docking systems do not constrain rotation(roll about the docking port axis). For Apollo, for example, docking with a roll misalignment has implications on the SPS gimbal angles. We actually have the ability to calculate the effect on engine gimbal trim angles, but we obviously can't dock with any roll because Orbiter snaps the vessel to a perfect roll angle when docking. (maybe this is easier to simulate, could we just allow an optional kind of docking port that preserves roll before and after docking)
1710001513832.png

Not trying to create extra work for the 2024 release, but it turns out to be a super easy thing to implement and someone really wants to, then that would be awesome to have.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
105mplm.jpg

Yeah, the docking port is initially in the top ring, that moves up and down for several reasons. In the end, the docking port will be located at the bottom ring, where the hooks hold the target vessel.