General Question On board docking systems?

chevelle505

Reaction score
So in one scenario on endeavor I can dock with the ISS…then I tried it with Atlantis and she just bounces off the docking port. I noticed on endeavor the docking ring was extended, however on Atlantis it is not. Managed to find power and circuit breakers for the APDS, however I cannot get the ring to extend (I assume this is my problem). What needs to be set up so it will dock? Tried to press the extend ring, unlock latches etc..nothing happens.

Attachments

• IMG_6201.jpeg
    IMG_6201.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6200.jpeg
    IMG_6200.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 3

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am assuming this is the SSV and 2016? Can you post a scenario

chevelle505

Reaction score
yeah, its SSV In 2016...heres the scenario. still combing through all 52 pages worth of manual in sections 8 and the two on 9 trying to speak nasa's language. I really appreciate the help!! Ive powered everything up as far as I can tell, just keeps bouncing off.

Attachments

• (Current state) 0001.scn
    32.2 KB · Views: 1

chevelle505

Reaction score
Any chance that scenario worked for ya? Sorry..I’m going through the manual but I can’t seem to get the docking ring up. I assume that why it’s bouncing off the ISS port

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Any chance that scenario worked for ya? Sorry..I’m going through the manual but I can’t seem to get the docking ring up. I assume that why it’s bouncing off the ISS port
For one thing, the ODS docking ring is not extended. This is normally done on Flight Day 2 (launch is FD1). So you need to do all the steps in STS-129 RNDZ checklist on page 8-4 and then the steps on 8-5. Then do the steps on 8-8 and 8-9 up to step 5 stopping at DOCKING RING RETRACTION (NOT MATED). The checkmarks just means "check and verify" as those switches/circuit breakers (CBs) should already be in those positions, if not, reconfigure to match the positions in the checklist. TB means "talkback", they're the little status windows that show the current configuration of particular system like "ON" or "OFF".

chevelle505

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Went through the checklist 3 times..still nothing. Under panel A7L what is CRT? I’ve got back and forth between both panels A6L and A7L and even said to heck with it and powered up everything…nothing.
I’m at a loss.. I can get the latches to open/close but ring will not extend.

Attachments

• Scrshot6205.jpeg
    Scrshot6205.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Scrshot6204.jpeg
    Scrshot6204.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 7

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
what is CRT?
That is the computer display, which would show some more indications to the astronauts, but the display for the APDS isn't implemented yet.

About the ring out, doesn't the section "DOCKING RING EXTENSION" on page 8-8 work?
I'm not sure but you are running everything in the APDS section, when in fact that is just a compilation of several procedures that are referenced by other (higher-level) procedures. On the Approach cue card, page 9-7, it is asked to perform the following steps not long before docking:
  • Perform DOCKING MECHANISM POWERUP (APDS), 8-5
  • Perform DOCKING PREP (APDS), 8-7
That Approach procedure is called by the Rendezvous timeline, page 4-21.

The initial activation and ring extension procedures are called for execution... somewhere that I currently don't remember.

chevelle505

Reaction score
Ok, think I have it figured out! Also using the CCTV is helpful but how do I get the docking mfd up on the rear station crt? I can only get the flight instruments etc, and hitting f8 only changes the two in the commanders crt, can’t change the aft pilot station crt though.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Ok, think I have it figured out! Also using the CCTV is helpful but how do I get the docking mfd up on the rear station crt? I can only get the flight instruments etc, and hitting f8 only changes the two in the commanders crt, can’t change the aft pilot station crt though.
The real shuttle didn't have the Docking MFD, they used the CCTV, which is now available whe using D3D9. But you can still call any MFD in any MDU by pressing and holding the right most button on the bottom of the MFD, and then navigate with the other buttons... it's not easy but it works.

chevelle505

Reaction score
Perfect, I knew there was some sort of trick to it. Thanks alot GLS!!