OMP Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
I would like to thank you for the OMP development.
I've tried the last version today with a friend, he was an observer of my vessel and I got him into the basics of orbital mechanics.
We used Hamachi and this saved us hours of frustration. I say this especially due to the post above.
However, is there any way to enable time acceleration? I'm sure this is a FAQ but I didn't find a recent answer. If the players are only me and my friend and we agree for a time accelaration at a given moment, this should be allowed IMHO.
Any mission in space gets unfeasible without time acceleration.
Also, is the Earth still not rotating?

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I would like to thank you for the OMP development.

Thanks.

I've tried the last version today with a friend, he was an observer of my vessel and I got him into the basics of orbital mechanics.
We used Hamachi and this saved us hours of frustration. I say this especially due to the post above.

You mean the problem with multiple clients on a non-server-LAN behind a not-hairpinning router?

However, is there any way to enable time acceleration? I'm sure this is a FAQ but I didn't find a recent answer. If the players are only me and my friend and we agree for a time accelaration at a given moment, this should be allowed IMHO.
Any mission in space gets unfeasible without time acceleration.

The server admin can set arbitrary MJD values for the simulation. As soon as the server's MJD is far in the future, clients will switch to 2x acceleration. However, this acceleration can then be changed freely to higher values on each client until the server MJD comes "closer" again. During this synchronization period, though, clients will not see each other.

Also, is the Earth still not rotating?

The non-rotating Earth is just a hack to obtain higher precision in the original ORL setup, where everything is tuned for Earth/WIN-bound operations. It is not necessary for OMP per se.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Coldron

Reaction score
Is there anything i can do to get latest OMP to work so i can see people?

I connect to server and people can see me but i can't see them.
This it is something to do with UDP?
I got no problems on connecting or using any other game or applications online.
Using Wifi ( i think it is called ) so my ip ain't static and so can't open any ports my self.

And nice to see you still working on this Face :thumbup:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there anything i can do to get latest OMP to work so i can see people?

I connect to server and people can see me but i can't see them.
This it is something to do with UDP?
I got no problems on connecting or using any other game or applications online.
Using Wifi ( i think it is called ) so my ip ain't static and so can't open any ports my self.

This sounds like outgoing UDP traffic is allowed with your connection, but not incoming from different IPs (and/or ports) than the one of the initial server connection. This is sometimes due to a symmetrical NAT setup. You can verify this assumption by clicking the STUN button in the network tab before doing a connection. It will run a protocol to detect the nature of your NAT setup, and print it in the chat window after a minute or so.

I have also added another mode to the network tab called "custom STUN". You can select that checkbox if you also select "custom port". This mode will use the specified port in the edit field for a STUN connection, and might help if you use a low port like e.g. 123 (which should be open at even the most paranoid NATs). No port forwarding is necessary in this mode.

If it is not helping, I fear that only a repeater system will help you in this case. Such a system would gather all incoming packets and forward them to your machine. As with symmetric NATs, this would mean that the server would have to be such a repeater itself, thus actively increasing its workload exponentially. In addition, the increased latency would also lower your experience.

That said, you are the second one with such "exotic" NAT setup now. I will investigate in implementing such a repeater system in order to get you guys connected, but it will take some time. I would also need you as beta tester of such a connection, because I can't reproduce it that easily myself.

Coldron

Reaction score
Yeah thanks for fast reply.
I think its due to that provider ( in Finland ) has blocked all UDP's and now
making them opened by purchasing small fee per month...or if i understood correctly.
But i try out someday that 123 if someones online.
Thanks again.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think its due to that provider ( in Finland ) has blocked all UDP's and now
making them opened by purchasing small fee per month...or if i understood correctly.

I'm not so sure of that, because if you connect to the server without 0.1x time-acc stuck and without the "no UDP" next to your user name in the "\ls a u d" command, you at least send and receive UDP to/from the server. So it can't be simple UDP blocking.

In addition, if other clients outside the server-LAN (i.e. not Ren) can see your vessels, you will at least be able to send UDP to different IPs over your NAT. The "only" thing left is receiving UDP from different IPs over your NAT through the same port you are receiving from the server already. This is the difference between open cone NATs and symmetrical NATs.

Please try the STUN button in the network tab. If it says "symmetrical NAT", I guess you'll have to wait for the repeater feature.

Coldron

Reaction score
Yep. Says that i'm connecting trough symmetrical Nat.
O well. Thanks for the clarification though :thumbup:

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
One User - Two Objects

I noticed that on the public OMP server, one user had two objects, the ISS and a DG. I have been able to use two computers to get two objects but it appears that this could be done with one computer. I tried using the ADD command but failed. Please help.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I noticed that on the public OMP server, one user had two objects, the ISS and a DG. I have been able to use two computers to get two objects but it appears that this could be done with one computer. I tried using the ADD command but failed. Please help.

Just use your scenario editor plugin to create vessels. They will be automatically added to the session list.

Germanorbiterpilot

Reaction score
Hello.
I've just discovered the OMP. Geat work !
But I also have an issue with it.
On the 'offical' Server (omp.ddns.net) it works all fine and I can fly with my buddy.
But when I start my own Server we both can join, but cant see each other.And if I set the Server LAN option as described in the Manual, I reseve the error: "Administrator shell.
Actual IP ERR"
Because of this error I am unable to join the flight. :(

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
But when I start my own Server we both can join, but cant see each other.And if I set the Server LAN option as described in the Manual, I reseve the error: "Administrator shell.
Actual IP ERR"

If you host a server and a client on the same machine, Server-LAN option is necessary. I think you'll get this error if you did not set your internet IP in the server configuration file:
Code:
<Network [B]IP="xxx.yyy.zzz.iii"[/B] TCP="1515" UDP="3000" Count="500" Web="1580" />
The 0.8 distribution comes with a "localhost" value there, but that won't work. Enter the IP you get when visiting e.g. http://whatismyipaddress.com .

Germanorbiterpilot

Reaction score
Now all works fine. :)
I wasn't aware of a typing mistake in my IP-adress (a blank character) ^^

Here is my next question right away (;-))

How to edit the Scenario of the server to get same Vessels by default?
We would like to have the XR2 for both of us and the ISS.
Our current workaround is to boot up the "DG at KSC"-scenario and edit it on the fly.

Thanks for help.

Tim

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How to edit the Scenario of the server to get same Vessels by default?

Edit the server.xml to have appropriate Orbiter scenario entries in the Location element. Please read the documentation (last page) for a quick recap of what Locations are.

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ignore this message. The download is correct. Cockpit error.

I am attempting to download OMP 8.1. The link Face posted in OMP News downloads face-orl-online-a0ad44ba1768.zip. Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.