OMP Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaceexplorersuk

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to set up a schools server for orbiter multiplayer, The public server is great but UK schools sites that I work at. will have problems connecting to it due to child protection policies. It is a bit of a shame because it is a great teaching tool.

I am having a problem running serverconsole.exe (windows)

I am using an xp
net framework 2 sp1 installed plus the rest up to 4

I have installed a fresh version of orbiter 1000830 and omp 0.7.1 as above.
Client works fine and I greatly enjoy it.
double click on windows/serverconsole.exe returns error signature

EventType :clr20r3 P1 : serverconsole.exe P2 :1.0.0.0
P3 : 4fb69d52 P4 : serverconsole P5 1.0.0.0 p6 : 4fb69d52
P7 : 1b P8 : 1d5 P9 : system.missingmethodexception

running from command returns

Same error plus on command line

Unhandled Exception: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found 'Boolean System.Threading.Waithandle.Waitone(Int32)'.
at Orbiter.Multiplayer.Server.Start()
at Orbiter.ServerConsole.Main(String[] args)

While I am fairly confident about changing the ip addresses and ports within the xml file later on, I am a little out at sea with this. Have I missed something glaringly obvious from the new omp manual or checklist ?

I have now solved this, during the delay of first posts moderation and Below is the apparent solution which may be of use if anyone else has the same problem.

The net frameworks on the initial trial machine were 1, 2 sp1,3sp1,5.5,4,4 extended,4 client.
Tried on a new box with a fresh install of xp and loaded net framework 2sp2

Now works
can anyone shed any light on why this is the case, and hopefully help me find how to implement the billboards for Wideawake on my server scenarios as I cant find any reference to them in the server.xml or scenario, and they seem to work on the public server.

regards
John

Last edited:

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
server.xml

Hi

Nice to hear its working now.
We use several server.xml that are a bit different from the basic one in Face distribution.
I will attach a working server.xml (zip) from the public host and you just have to copy it to your \Server\Windows folder, replace "localhost" with your OMP server IP and change the password inside the xml.

For a basic OMP server on XP, I used dotnet 3.5 SP1, Orbiter 1000830 and OMP 0.7.1, the same as you used.

Hope this will help you set up your schools server for Orbiter Multiplayer.

Attachments

• server.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 447

spaceexplorersuk

Reaction score
Thanks Ren,
that's absolutely brilliant. I'll have a look at the differences and see how the coding works. I haven't written any code for (many...ahem) years so it's a case of getting up to scratch.

I though I was going mad for a while. I have to demonstrate to the department head that orbiter is a good (and safe) teaching tool in January. Hopefully a new generation of Orbinauts on the way. :)

At some point I'll try to release a complete linux iso for the server to take the terror out for schools who want to try it easily.

Many thanks again
John

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
I though I was going mad for a while. I have to demonstrate to the department head that orbiter is a good (and safe) teaching tool in January. Hopefully a new generation of Orbinauts on the way. :)
If you have any problems or questions please let us know!

At some point I'll try to release a complete linux iso for the server to take the terror out for schools who want to try it easily.
Good idea, I been working on install instructions for Ubuntu Server (LTS version) for a while and never finished it. But I could provide you with all the technical information regarding installing mono and OMP on Linux server. I got a school version running on a ESXi and a public OMP running on real hardware. Also made some script to run OMP unattended as a service and more.

Glad to help you
Ren

spaceexplorersuk

Reaction score
Hi Ren,
That would be excellent, no point reinventing the wheel. :lol:
I have just the box for it sitting here, an old dell server.
Have a good festive season,
Regards
John

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
I did send you a PM about a small change you can tryout in your OMPClient.xml.

Its best to have a clean vanilla Orbiter installation in a separated folder and just use the required Addons!
This can also reduce lag and it can make debugging easier.

Please use the OMP Support forum for your reply.
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1065

Yes I have a separate folder for OMP; I've followed the installation guide on your website.
I'll try your "fix" and I'll let you know.

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

The IT proxy (or whatever it is) works like a charm. Thank you for the "fix".

When you people generally ride?

BTW it would be cool to let a player have a permanent ship (stay there at logout) so I could go to the moon in real time.

---------- Post added 25-03-13 at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was 24-03-13 at 21:56 ----------

I connected when there were two other orbinauts. I couldn't see them and they couldn't see me. Yes I have done F9 and they told me where they were but I couldn't see their vessels.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I connected when there were two other orbinauts. I couldn't see them and they couldn't see me. Yes I have done F9 and they told me where they were but I couldn't see their vessels.

Was your time in sync with theirs? Even a 1 second difference between machines will cause vessels to be hundreds of km away.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Don't know, but trying again it worked. Will keep that in mind though, thanks.

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
The IT proxy (or whatever it is) works like a charm. Thank you for the "fix".
Its just a simple change in the NTP section inside OMPClient.xml:
Code:
	[COLOR="Red"]<[/COLOR]NTP Samples="4">
		<Server Address="ch.pool.ntp.org"/>
	</NTP[COLOR="Red"]>[/COLOR]
- Close Orbiter
- Backup current \Modules\Plugin\OMPClient.xml
- Open \Modules\Plugin\OMPClient.xml with text editor
- Replace current NTP section from <NTP to </NTP> with the code above
- Change the country code in the <Server Address="ch.pool.ntp.org"/> to your country
! Make sure there is more then 4 NTP server available in selected country. Check www.pool.ntp.org
- Save and try it out

* See attached sample file OMPClientXML.zip *

When you people generally ride?
Good question :hmm: According to the OMP log there still are pilots flying around, if one goes to bed after flying for awhile the next one will show up soon on OMP. Real earth still is spinning - not like in OMP :rofl:
Some pilots hang around in the OMP Teamspeak Lounge - waiting for others to join. (PM me if you need a TS3 channel in your language. like the new added "Canal francophone").

BTW it would be cool to let a player have a permanent ship (stay there at logout) so I could go to the moon in real time.
That is not possible at the moment, when you close your client your ship will be deleted from server - simply because you don't exist anymore.

You can do a STUN analysis before you connect in OMP client "Network" tab. Here you will see if you have to forward a port on your router and try to connect the old way.
On Win7 it also can helps to run Orbiter as admin and/or disable Firewall - for testing only.

Attachments

• OMPClientXML.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

Coldron

Reaction score
Any idea why i get lag spikes once a while on server?

Oh nevermind i got it working :)

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could be the faulty NTP ping locking in one of the server client versions.

Last edited:

icedown

Reaction score
I decided to try and set one up. I'm running ubuntu. It starts up with no errors and I can "connect" but no udp packets are leaving the server. Here is a packet capture from the server. It's running at omp.icedown.net, everything but the password and ip remain default. Any ideas?

Attachments

• test.txt
    13.9 KB · Views: 434

icedown

Reaction score
ok, I think i found the problem. My server has multiple external ips. While the server is bound to 174.142.168.245, the udp packets are leaving the server from the primary ip, 209.172.55.7

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I got it all installed via the installation instructions on the omp.dyndns-server.com. Not bad at all for me, installed all required program/addons and had no problems and encounted no errors when I connected. :thumbup:

It jumps alittle now and again, but I spent a couple of hours in Mars space without incident. Took off from the surface base Olympus, made an orbit and then re-entered and made a landing, all fine and dandy. I have forgotten alot about flying in the sim. :blush:
I wanted to fly to Phobos, but had to settle for the single orbit.
I'll have to practice alittle.

When I connected the MJD was 0 0 0, when I disconnected the MJD was 0 0 -4.

Server: OrbiterMultiplayer
Address: omp.dyndns-server.com
Ports: TCP 1515
NTP Skew: 0.03 µs/s min. -278.20 µs/s max. 278.32 µs/s
Connections: 2
Users: 1
Objects: 33

Maybe a little useless info there. I'll pick up on what I'm supposed to report as it goes maybe.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
BUG: Two OMP clients running on separate machines on the same LAN cannot see each other, but both can see everyone else, and everyone else can see both.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Are they on the same LAN though?

IP addresses and subnet masks of said machines please?

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
BUG: Two OMP clients running on separate machines on the same LAN cannot see each other, but both can see everyone else, and everyone else can see both.
I have no issues running 2 clients on seperate computers on local lan. just set one client for port 2500 the other on 2502 for instance and make sure they are forwarded properly to the right local lan ip in your router. They see each other fine.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
They're connected to the same BT Home Hub (read: Router/Gateway), Laptop by wireless, PC by wire, so I'd assume so. I'll run /ipconfig for you tomorrow.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Just because they are plugged into the same box means nothing. You might have run out of IP's, one might have a class C IP whilst another has an APIAA IP.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

This is possible if your router does not support hairpinning. Not really a bug in the implementation of OMP, but more a system short-coming. In essence, it goes like this:

1. First client on LAN connects to OMP server.
  2. Server sees client with LAN router's IP e.g. 45.45.45.45 on port 4545 (because the router forwards the internal IP - e.g. 192.168.0.10, port 3434 - this way).
  3. Second client on LAN connects to OMP server.
  4. Server sees client with LAN router's IP, but on different port, because the router managed it that way.
  5. Server sends group information packet to both clients, because they see each other in the simulation.
  6. Both clients get the info to send state information packets to IP 45.45.45.45 with appropriate port, NOT the LAN IPs (which is logical, because the server never got that info).
  7. Unfortunately, if a LAN client sends something to the router's public IP 45.45.45.45, the router gets confused and doesn't simply forward the packet to the appropriate port's mapping back (hairpinning... the packets have to take a hairpin turn on the router). Most cheap routers drop such packets.
  8. Clients on the same LAN don't see each other, but others can see you and you see others.
Because a server hoster is of course most prone to run into this situation, I've made that "Server-LAN" setting. Clients with this setting will be treated differently by the server, because it knows that they are on the same (server-)LAN. The same mechanism is not so trivially extensible for arbitrary clients.

In essence I'd have to implement an additional routing layer on top of IP. My idea here would be to let users define a "network password" that they set for each LAN client on their side. The clients would send this to the server together with their LAN IP. The server can then decide to send LAN IPs instead of WAN IPs if clients have the same network password. So LAN client state information packets would bypass the LAN's router entirely, making hairpinning a non-issue.

regards,
Face

Status
Not open for further replies.