OMP Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Ok. Custom isn't working. I will now try again standard. I opend a port in my router ( let's say UDP 2502) and set OMP to standart. Could this work?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok. Custom isn't working. I will now try again standard. I opend a port in my router ( let's say UDP 2502) and set OMP to standart. Could this work?

Probably not. Because the standard method is using the exact same port your client is using for sending, which is an arbitrary port choosen by the OS.

If you have:

• selected "Custom" method
  • entered your router's IP (as found out by Fizyk's link above)
  • entered port XXXX
  • forwarded port XXXX UDP protocol to your computer
  • opened the firewall for Orbiter
...and still not getting UDP packages to your machine, the only other possibility is your ISP is blocking UDP to your router.

regards,
Face

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
I will try it again tomorrow.

And thanks for the replies you all.

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...and still not getting UDP packages to your machine, the only other possibility is your ISP is blocking UDP to your router.

Found a nice little utility to test UDP connectivity on a port. It looks like nothing I have is open... but then again, it's also telling me that TCP port 80 is not available either (which it obviously is), so maybe it's the application or Windows Firewall or some such thing.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Found a nice little utility to test UDP connectivity on a port. It looks like nothing I have is open... but then again, it's also telling me that TCP port 80 is not available either (which it obviously is), so maybe it's the application or Windows Firewall or some such thing.

Our concern are incoming connections, not outgoing ones. Unless you have a webserver running, your port 80 will be closed.
And unless this utility of yours works together with a server on the internet, it can not check if your connectable at all.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Our concern are incoming connections, not outgoing ones. Unless you have a webserver running, your port 80 will be closed.
And unless this utility of yours works together with a server on the internet, it can not check if your connectable at all.

TSPenguin: Thanks for the info. The utility (PFPortChecker, think I got it from that link posted above) does in fact use a server. So how exactly does one open a port for an incoming connection?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
So how exactly does one open a port for an incoming connection?

By reading this thread, the manuals of all hardware and software involved and if that fails, by posting more information about your setup and asking for help :)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
wait, OMP uses UDP? aww crud, I was trying to use tcp.

Actually, it uses both protocols. TCP for session initiation, chat and text transfer (e.g. vessel class-names, dock info, events) and UDP for state vector updates.

If you are not seeing "pings" flying towards the shuttle coming from the "solar system" in the status tab, you are not receiving UDP messages. Your client will then be unable to synchronize to the server time.

regards,
Face

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually, it uses both protocols. TCP for session initiation, chat and text transfer (e.g. vessel class-names, dock info, events) and UDP for state vector updates.

If you are not seeing "pings" flying towards the shuttle coming from the "solar system" in the status tab, you are not receiving UDP messages. Your client will then be unable to synchronize to the server time.

regards,
Face

Okay, so here's what I see on the OMP status page. (See attached.) I'm using the standard method and, unfortunately, on a university network (though I have to admit, very little appears to be blocked or throttled). Does this tell anyone anything about what's going on with my connection? I'm having the 0.1x time warp issue. :) I can provide further info as needed.

EDIT: Additionally, I note that, when I run netstat, I see a TCP connection to a server on port 1515, but nothing UDP. This is with OMP running and connected, of course.

EDIT2: This might determine whether or not I'll be able to use OMP. Here's what my university has to say about their firewall settings:

Traffic originated from the internet, destined for the <university> network, is generally blocked, with the following exceptions:

• traffic related to connections originated from within the network is allowed.
    • E.g. if you point your webbrowser to www.example.com, the pages that the www.example.com web server serves to you are allowed into the network. The converse is not true. If you run a webserver on your laptop or desktop, people can not get to it from the internet. The reason is that only traffic related to something you initiate is allowed.
  • traffic destined for official University servers is allowed.

Any clues?

Attachments

• omp.JPG
    omp.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 940
Last edited:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
That firewall description is somewhat fuzzy.
In case of HTTP, the client opens the connection and the server sends through the same connection.

If people can call you on skype there is a chance OMP might work too.
You might want to inquire if incomming connections "in reply to" outgoing connections are properly routed to you.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That firewall description is somewhat fuzzy.
In case of HTTP, the client opens the connection and the server sends through the same connection.

If people can call you on skype there is a chance OMP might work too.
You might want to inquire if incomming connections "in reply to" outgoing connections are properly routed to you.

People can call me on Skype, yes. I believe the answer to your question is that, yes, incoming connections "in reply to" outgoing connections are routed correctly. I'm no expert here, but I would think it would have to be. My guess is that it's for unsolicited incoming connections only, or at least connections which appear unsolicited.

Does any of this provide any insight as to how I might go about solving my sync issues?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Okay, so here's what I see on the OMP status page. (See attached.) I'm using the standard method and, unfortunately, on a university network (though I have to admit, very little appears to be blocked or throttled). Does this tell anyone anything about what's going on with my connection? I'm having the 0.1x time warp issue. :) I can provide further info as needed.

EDIT: Additionally, I note that, when I run netstat, I see a TCP connection to a server on port 1515, but nothing UDP. This is with OMP running and connected, of course.

EDIT2: This might determine whether or not I'll be able to use OMP. Here's what my university has to say about their firewall settings:

The pings on the left side of the status pic should be animated. If it is static, you are not receiving UDP.

Your routing description hints at STUN... if you use the "Standard" method, the client will first send UDPs through a port to the server and the server will send messages back to this port. This way the incoming traffic would be related.
Unfortunately, many such configurations only allow TCP-based related traffic. Hm... maybe I should redesign the traffic to use a TCP camouflage. But then I'd have to spoof IP addresses coming from other clients in order to make it work. Nah...

Best thing for you would be to wait for tunneling support. This will use TCP connections to the server to relay UDP traffic.

regards,
Face

Coldron

Reaction score
There is program that shows easily if you are recieving/sending properly.
I can post it up or send it in mail if someone wants it?

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Best thing for you would be to wait for tunneling support. This will use TCP connections to the server to relay UDP traffic.

I can do that. Coming Tuesday, or is this a feature planned for implementation? :)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can do that. Coming Tuesday, or is this a feature planned for implementation? :)

The server part of it is already implemented. The client side is planned, but will take some more prerequisites to be implemented. One of this prerequisites is transition of UI code from native WinAPI to managed WinForms (and already underway).

So... yes, Tuesday it will be out ;) .

Kriss

Snowman
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.krizoek.com
Having a server to your likings.

I notice that some want things to be real, others want orbiter to be cooler and bigger. Larger stations.

Some are also afraid of that someone would come and rotate their stations and such, but there are solutions to these troubles.

Everyone can load stargates, warpdrive, big stations if they want to. And also serve with others.
If someone have a problem with this, they could just not have those classes installed, then they wouldn't appear to them.

People wich want things to be safe, and only for specific people, can add custom firewallrules that would allow no one else to gain access to their things.

At the moment current states can only be saved locally, but you could always become master of vessels that you were considering that would disappear, and things can be shared. But if someone would have a dedicated orbiter client that could hold their things in action, it could be there for as long as orbiter didn't crash. I haven't measured this myself yet, but perhaps some of you would?

Another solution for traveling like regular with omp(with timewarp), is to turn back MJD with timejump mfd, Then you could infact do interplanetary like normal. you wouldn't be synched with the server until you were synched back together with server MJD, but if you calculated that you would reach there in exactly the moment of synch, perhaps this is yet another challenge to orbiter?:)

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
People wich want things to be safe, and only for specific people, can add custom firewallrules that would allow no one else to gain access to their things.

Won't work.

The server is the central store for the OMP Orbiter universe so me blocking Face's IP address (which wouldn't be easy to get) wouldn't alter the fact that he could deorbit my space station or do something else for kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.