OMP Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is the general discussion thread about OMP and multiplayer in Orbiter.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just checked the news thread and found out that the client is now .NET. Excellent progress. :D

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I just checked the news thread and found out that the client is now .NET. Excellent progress. :D

Well, not completely .NET as of now, but definitely on its way. Check out the hooking system... I'd bet you have use for it ;) .

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, not completely .NET as of now, but definitely on its way. Check out the hooking system... I'd bet you have use for it ;) .

The .NET stuff is working great for me. We should finish that wrapper sometime... (wishing I had more time to help... that's tedious work)

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Face, do you still have that server active? I sort of lost the IP address.:sorry: Mind posting it here?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Face, do you still have that server active? I sort of lost the IP address.:sorry: Mind posting it here?

No, the server isn't active anymore. No one used it, so I shut it down. Since there was only the old client available, it didn't make sense, anyway.

The IP address of the next hosting together with port and time information will be announced via mailing-list. I'd like to keep it closed to the beta-team.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, the server isn't active anymore. No one used it, so I shut it down. Since there was only the old client available, it didn't make sense, anyway.

The IP address of the next hosting together with port and time information will be announced via mailing-list. I'd like to keep it closed to the beta-team.

Understandable. BTW I checked out the code for the c++ client. I can't make heads or tails of it!

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Face, a suggestion if I may regarding some future version (perhaps released on a Tuesday :D) on OMP. Can OMP be setup to use a specific scenario file and allow members who are joining the server to select from vessels already within the scenario? This would obviously be in addition to selecting something "new" and creating it. Uses for this would include situations where players want to already have pre-setup infrastructure and want to use that versus having to assemble it themselves with the scenario editor (where possible) or not at all (where not). Best example: station building with Greg's BSP, which I believe has to be assembled on scenario load.

Alternatively or perhaps in addition to the above, it would be interesting if the end users could simply paste in vessel scenario code, connect to the server, and have that code generated, changing select things where needed (name for duplicates, position perhaps, etc).

Just a suggestion. Thanks for the hard work! :D

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Face, a suggestion if I may regarding some future version (perhaps released on a Tuesday :D) on OMP. Can OMP be setup to use a specific scenario file and allow members who are joining the server to select from vessels already within the scenario? This would obviously be in addition to selecting something "new" and creating it. Uses for this would include situations where players want to already have pre-setup infrastructure and want to use that versus having to assemble it themselves with the scenario editor (where possible) or not at all (where not). Best example: station building with Greg's BSP, which I believe has to be assembled on scenario load.

Alternatively or perhaps in addition to the above, it would be interesting if the end users could simply paste in vessel scenario code, connect to the server, and have that code generated, changing select things where needed (name for duplicates, position perhaps, etc).

Just a suggestion. Thanks for the hard work! :D

This is the current work mode. There is a server.xml that contains a section with Orbiter scenario entries. These entires are sent to the client on startup, with the later selecting one entry during connection start-up.

The server admin can therefore prepare "locations" and special vessel class settings.

regards,
Face

EDIT: Example for server.xml is here. Example for vessel-class and location selection screen is here and here.

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the examples! I still have to figure out some of the scenario code in the XML doc (looks like some if statements?), but simple enough. :) If you want to generate two ships, can you just paste code for the second one below the first?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the examples! I still have to figure out some of the scenario code in the XML doc (looks like some if statements?), but simple enough. :) If you want to generate two ships, can you just paste code for the second one below the first?

The augmentation code is described here at page 7 (its the old documentation, so please don't pay attention to anything else about the server). Each "if" entry describes one possible location for the user to choose from. If you place 2 or more vessels there, they will show up as user-controlled vessels, too.

regards,
Face

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Face, if you need a Windows Server and bandwidth to host a test server, I'd be happy to donate the hardware and software

Last speed test I did since my cable provider upgraded my speed was 14559kbps down and 1450kbps up. My server is also my router and is quite overpowered and I wouldn't mind donating what I can to a project that I would love to see come out be part of the Orbiter family. FTP/HTTP whatever you need

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Face, if you need a Windows Server and bandwidth to host a test server, I'd be happy to donate the hardware and software

Last speed test I did since my cable provider upgraded my speed was 14559kbps down and 1450kbps up. My server is also my router and is quite overpowered and I wouldn't mind donating what I can to a project that I would love to see come out be part of the Orbiter family. FTP/HTTP whatever you need

Thanks for the generous offer. I'm not in need of a public server right now, because the system is not ready to be published yet. For private beta tests, my own Linux server is quite enough.

regards,
Face

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
darn, thought I would be able to play with it, I mean help the community :p

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

indigeous

Reaction score
Website
www.603squadron.co.cc
Hey guys, I had a simple question that I haven't been finding an answer to for the last two days.

I wanted to know if the server application for OMP is available for download. A friend and I wanted to get together and have some fun in space, however we only have the clients and therefore can not connect to each other. I am quite familiar with port forwarding and am fairly certain I can set up the server on my own.

So, once again, is the server application available for download? And if so, where can I retrieve it?

Thanks.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a simple question that I haven't been finding an answer to for the last two days.

I wanted to know if the server application for OMP is available for download. A friend and I wanted to get together and have some fun in space, however we only have the clients and therefore can not connect to each other. I am quite familiar with port forwarding and am fairly certain I can set up the server on my own.

So, once again, is the server application available for download? And if so, where can I retrieve it?

Thanks.

Where do you have the clients from?

Anyway, you can get a released package from http://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitermp/ and incrementally apply SVN patches by means of downloading the latest SVN revision. Just keep in mind that the binaries in there don't necessarily reflect the code state. You have to recompile them to really get the latest.

regards,
Face

indigeous

Reaction score
Website
www.603squadron.co.cc
I downloaded the client from the link you posted here:

http://orbit.m6.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=17803

I don't believe the server files were included, though.

EDIT: Well, I got the server up and running. There are some issues that I'd like to fix, though. I would appreciate the help, if it can be given. The first problem I'm having is obviously going to cripple my attempts at having fun in space with others. The problem is that when I get in-game I'm stuck at 0.1x Time Acceleration. When re-setting it to 1.0x via the, "T" key it automatically resets itself back to 0.1x within 1 second.

Any known fixes to the issue? I checked the .xml file and I managed to find the area which defines time acceleration. However it's set to allow anything from 0.1x to 1,000.0x.

Status
Not open for further replies.