OFSS IV-discussion thread

Castor

Reaction score
I'd hold off until you have your matrix full populated. That way the pilot will know what is expected of him (construction, Pax/Pony, etc).Additionally, the pilot would know his cargo manifest.

The cargo details cannot be crammed into a table, instead I will put up another post. Minimal pilot skill requirements have been added to the table above.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

Finally, the detailed cargo list:

Code:
1) [B]Spacecraft[/B]: Themis-A
   [B]Payload[/B]: 
                  1 x BM201        (Command module)

2) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : XR5
    [B]Payload[/B]: 
                 2 x BN200           (Node)
     	         2 x BM202           (Habitat)
	         1 x BD101           (AirDock)

3) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : XR5
   [B]Payload[/B] :
             2 x BM222            (Cooling System)
	     1 x BM213                (Lab)
	     2 x BN200                (Node)
	     1 x 336m^2              (Radiator)
	     1 x APAS adapter

4)[B] Spacecraft[/B] : XR2
   [B]Payload [/B]: 1 x CMG

5) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : HCLV-4-inline
   [B]Payload[/B] : Smerch tug + Tranzit

6) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : HCLV-4-sidemount
   [B]Payload[/B] : 2 x BM003               (RTG)

7) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : XR5
   [B]Payload[/B] :
             1 x BM211                (Utility module)
	     2 x BG103                    (oxygen)
	     2 x BG104                    (food)
	     2 x BG105                    (water)
	     2 x 15m truss
	     2 x 1to3 truss
	     1 x 640m^2               (Radiator)
	     1 x trussnode

8) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : HCLV-4-sidemount
  [B] Payload[/B] : 2 x BM204                (life support)

9) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : XR5
   [B]Payload[/B] : 
                2 x BM003	              (RTG)
	        2 x BM202                 (habitat)
 	        2 x Solar panel
	        2 x BCP101                (cupola)

10) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : XR5
   [B] Payload[/B] :
                1 x BM213                  (Lab)
		2 x BM003                  (RTG)
		6 x 64m^2                 (Radiator)
		2 x BCM101                (Comms)
		1 x Soyuz Adapter
	        1 x APAS Adapter

11) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : CTV
    [B]Payload[/B] :	N/A	

12) [B]Spacecraft[/B] : XR2
   [B] Payload[/B] :	N/A

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A purely technical question, why do you want to build in high-temperature radiators? They're heavier than the low-temperature versions, and I don't see anything in the rest of design that requires coolant that runs hot enough to justify the extra mass...

Castor

Reaction score
A purely technical question, why do you want to build in high-temperature radiators?

I guess it's just out of habit from building overpowered spacecraft.:lol:
Thanks anyway, necessary corrections have been made.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2014 at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was May 15th, 2014 at 04:06 PM ----------

Now:

Since most of the preliminary planning is done, should I go ahead and start a new thread for a pilot roll call ?

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 AM ----------

Can we officially call this OFSS IV ? :shifty:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The Tranzit is brought up on mission 5, and de-orbited on mission 8. In between are two "orbital tugging" operations, which "are the most challenging of the lot."

Why are the orbital tugging operations considered "the most challenging"? Is it because the Tranzit and Smerch supposed to be attached together to the station and push the entire thing*? To where?

Or does "orbital tugging" mean that the Tranzit moves modules around? If that is the case (which it probably is), then the Smerch (~4 km of delta-v with Tranzit attached) is overkill.

*Just to let you know, Tranzit cannot be docked to the station when it is still attached to Smerch.

Last edited:

Castor

Reaction score
Why are the orbital tugging operations considered "the most challenging"?

The Tranzit is docked to the station after being brought up by the Smerch tug, which is then jettisoned (preferably deorbited). In the following missions 6 and 8, a Smerch tug carries the modules to within 50km of the station, after which the Tranzit takes over and docks the modules to the station. Most of the other missions include just a single rendezvous, while ferrying modules to and fro requires multiple rendezvous.

If that is the case (which it probably is), then the Smerch (~4 km of delta-v with Tranzit attached) is overkill. In the following missions 6 and 8, a Smerch tug carries the modules to within 50km of the station.

I kept the Smerch so that even beginners could have a greater margin of error, while attempting rendezvous. Since you are flying the mission, you can choose the DM tug to put the Tranzit up there.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Having a problem with mission 1. Change vessel to "Little" pad to open the "arms". When I switch back to the Themis with internal view I get a CTD.

This happens with both inline graphics and d3d9

Last edited by a moderator:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
sorry to jump in in the middle... I don't know exactly the full structure of the station, but I think that two addons that I made could be very useful to the extent of this topic.

Jarvis dll has an autopilot that can help a lot for getting the correct inclination and should be easy to use as well, together with the launch control center which can simulate (if desired) problems or loss of cargos.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6439"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6439[/ame]

And the TG-Habitat can be used together with its realtime option to keep the station flying in "realtime"

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6522"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6522[/ame]

of course this is only meant to help and to suggest something that could be nice :cheers:

have fun :tiphat:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Still troubleshooting.

If I open the example mission (Mission 2 complete) and select away from OFSS, and switch back (via F3) I get a CTD also. I'm thinking I've got an issue with IMS maybe? I'll go over the requirements list again to make sure I've got everything.

2nd try (clean install, requirements listed installed in order) has the same results. To clarify the above. I get the CTD when switching back to the OFSS when in cockpit view. I can cycle trough all the other objects listed on the F3 menu, but when I switch back; CTD

I must be missing something obvious :shrug:

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Having a problem with mission 1. Change vessel to "Little" pad to open the "arms". When I switch back to the Themis with internal view I get a CTD.

This happens with both inline graphics and d3d9

Does it also occur in scenario with only Themis and CSSC vessels (pads , train and crane)?? If yes please post it in add-on thread.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
No, the Themis works fine. It's just something inside this Orbiter install of mine set aside for this set of missions. And even then, only these two scenarios dealing w/ OFSS-IV.

The supplied Themis (Hyperion too) missions work fine. As do the others (Negishima, XR-2, XR-5, WideAwake, etc)

So I gotta figure it is related to IMS somehow. The Orbiter log is clean, so I'm kind of stumped.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, the Themis works fine. It's just something inside this Orbiter install of mine set aside for this set of missions. And even then, only these two scenarios dealing w/ OFSS-IV.

The supplied Themis (Hyperion too) missions work fine. As do the others (Negishima, XR-2, XR-5, WideAwake, etc)

So I gotta figure it is related to IMS somehow. The Orbiter log is clean, so I'm kind of stumped.

A couple of things to check, Phantom: did you run all the ZIP-EXE installs (versus just unpacking them into your OFSS directory), and did you re-download the latest OFSS.ZIP from the OP.

Both of those caught me out on my installs, enough that I thought I better write that installer walkthrough!

Best wishes!

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I already have a working, fully automatic one-click installer.

I will post it in the (European) evening today.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
@ADSWNJ

I think that's what my problem was. I was just unpacking them in the root directory, tried it again (unzipping and installing from the root directory) and it works A-OK.

Castor

Reaction score
Jarvis dll has an autopilot that can help a lot for getting the correct inclination and should be easy to use as well, together with the launch control center which can simulate (if desired) problems or loss of cargos.

Jarvis was actually thought of, but somehow got dropped along the way..:rolleyes:

Anyway, as soon as we complete the current mission roster, including the Jarvis is essential. And Antares 3.0 is also on my wishlist, and can add a very realistic touch to the whole mission.

Castor

Reaction score
By the way, we really need some form of documentation for OFSS IV. Since I'm getting almost no time off, I would appreciate it if someone could make one; if they have the free time.

Pioneer

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm sorry but I don't have much free time here either, but I would like to volunteer for a mission. Are missions being assigned yet?

BTW, I'm aware that the previous station was created by a forum legend named Tex. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Tex is around. He's gotten (or getting) married, and he's here on a regular basis.

edit- OK, last post was in February, but still he's a busy guy

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, that whole "getting married" thing has a way of taking up a whole bunch of (what used to be) free time.

Wait until a kid arrives (muahahahahahahaha!) no more free time for years!