OFSS IV-discussion thread

Castor

Reaction score
It seems that OFSS III has gone into some sort of hibernation. Since IMS has become reasonably stable now, I was wondering if it would be possible to restart the effort; but this time, incorporating IMS. What do you guys think of this ?

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Are you volunteering to serve as flight director?

From personal experience I can tell you it's more work that you might think. Coordinating pilots and schedules can be pretty tricky.

Castor

Reaction score
Are you volunteering to serve as flight director?

I am not sure.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

If someone is interested, please reply with your feedback here.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind catching a mission or two. But I'm pretty clobbered up here at work to help out any with station design/layout.

I'm up for pretty much any platform too (shuttle(s), capsules, DG variants, and the XR fleet).

Castor

Reaction score
I was also thinking something along same line. My original choice would be these:

1) Spacecraft:

Soyuz TMA (crew transfer)
CTV (crew transfer)
XR-5 (station assembly)
Tranzit tug (station assembly)

2) Launchers:

Themis-A
HCLV
Jarvis (dll version)

I also think that the timeframe for the station must be set in the immediate future, thus limiting power sources to RTG's and solar panels.

If someone else has better ideas for the station, please feel free to speak up.

Last edited:

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I don't have much experience building space stations- most of time was spent in the planning stages and trying to find time to actually fly the missions for it- but I think if I'm qualified to share anything then it would be this: start with the point of the station itself, then think about what stuff to add from there. Pick vehicles and other addons that fit with what the station is supposed to be. In your case one of the goals is something fun for fellow orbiteers to fly to and build on, so one thing to keep in mind is to pick vehicles that interested members want to fly.

Although I doubt I can particpate, I do know that for me flying around in a Soyuz TMA is pretty serious stuff, with a lot of emphasis on getting my burns done right and being careful. If I was particapating, I'd suggest thinking about something like the XR2 for crew rotations, because at least for me, it's forgiving and fun to fly. But since I'm unlikely to participate, my opinion shouldn't count for much; if anyone is interested and able to get in on this, their opinion should obivously count for more.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd love to fly some missions. How about building something spectacular out at a LaGrange Point (somewhere that's interesting to fly to and get back home in 1 piece). Not sure of the logistics, but maybe place a fabrication base on the Moon first, and ferry people and logistics from Earth to LEO, transfer either to LEO-LG base, LEO to Moon Base Beta (assume!!) then MBB to LG Base. I assume the interstellar freighters would be best for the non-atmo / non-landing trips.

Castor

Reaction score
How about building something spectacular out at a LaGrange Point (somewhere that's interesting to fly to and get back home in 1 piece). Not sure of the logistics, but maybe place a fabrication base on the Moon first, and ferry people and logistics from Earth to LEO, transfer either to LEO-LG base, LEO to Moon Base Beta (assume!!) then MBB to LG Base.

Seeing how most of the other missions failed due to an eventual loss of interest, I don't know if this is the best idea as a LaGrange station would take up a lot of time. In addition,there would be a large number of course corrections required to keep the station there. If we have a working platform in LEO, we can think about further expansion to the moon and the LaGrange points.

If I was particapating, I'd suggest thinking about something like the XR2 for crew rotations, because at least for me, it's forgiving and fun to fly.

If we decide to use the XR2, at the least the launch has to be made more realistic, preferably the HCLV sidemount version carrying the XR2 to orbit.

Now, as for a LEO station, I have some form of a layout. Once I have assigned missions and ensure that it is plausible, I will put it up on this thread.
Meanwhile, I am also waiting for confirmation from Tex as to the status of OFSS III. The station can hopefully be completed before we begin this one.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would suggest testing the planned layout in advance if you intend to use IMS. People tend to forget details and get roasted or somesuch...

Castor

Reaction score
I would suggest testing the planned layout in advance if you intend to use IMS. People tend to forget details and get roasted or somesuch...

Yep, I have already built the station in orbit as a proof-of-concept.

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
I'm building a lunar station in a 100km orbit around the moon at an inclination of Brighton Beach. I'm using the XR5 for my module launcher and I just finished mission 154... about 650 to go.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm not sure such a station would be practical given the nature of so many (or so few) pilots and differing schedules.

I'd rather recommend no more than maybe 12 -15 modules, with some filler missions for PAX & Pony transfers. 20 might be a stretch, and it would depend on the number of pilots on the roster and their level of involvement/commitment.

Stay focused on the project, and layout everything you need on a spreadsheet (craft/manifest, launch dates, return dates, launch site, recovery site) particularly what module is going where.

Any screenshot of what the finished product will look like?

Castor

Reaction score
Any screenshot of what the finished product will look like?

This is what I intend as of now (docking ports have to be added) :

picture.php

The APAS docking assembly is be connected to the hab module on the extreme right.

picture.php

The Soyuz/CTV docking system will come on top of the lab module on the left.

picture.php

The station is powered by a pair of solar panels and four RTG arrays (seen on the left).

My initial estimate is about 10-11 missions to complete the station and about 2-3 crew rotation missions.

Any feedback is appreciated. :tiphat:

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

I made a small change as to the positioning of the radiators.

picture.php

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Have you got a CMG? Other than that, I got nothing. Looks good :thumbup:

Castor

Reaction score
Have you got a CMG?

Thanks a lot for reminding me!

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

CMG added :
picture.php

I also had to add an airdock to cover up the CMG.

In order to make the station Soyuz compatible, I had to use the Soyuz-CBM adapter from [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2857"]this[/ame] addon

A CTV and XR5 docked to the station :

picture.php

Closeup of the docking assembly :

picture.php

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Very nice!

Hey I think 4th Rock did some texture wizardry for the SSBB. They might be worth a look too.

Castor

Reaction score
Anyone has any ideas on the optimal inclination and altitude of the station ?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
SSBB is okay, but there are a lot of other station modules floating around, such as Piper's and the ISS modules that were on Francophone.

Is it possible to configure these for use in IMS?

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I'm curious, since I think the XR5 is just as unrealistic as the XR2, what you might have done to the XR5 to make it more realistic. I'm not getting critical on your choices though, where someone puts the realism bar is their choice, and this thread really isn't about that anyway.

About inclinations, are you launching the Soyuz out of Baikonaur? You might just set the inclination to ~51 degrees, though you might have more 'latitude":)P) by giving Kourou's Soyuz site a fictional upgrade for manned launches. Given the vehicles you propose using, Soyuz might be the one you'll have to tailor inclination around, but that's just an first guess based on what I know. Jarvis family rockets should be capable of whatever you care to throw at them for station building, so I don't expect them to be a constraint. I don't know diddly about using the Themis-A or the HCLV, so I can't add anything there. Depending what you do to the XR5 that may have it's own constraints.

Also, what is the purpose of the station? Human studies, manned earth observation, materials science, or what? People in a can for fun and science doesn't actually require those people seeing much of the planet(lower inclinations), but earth observation does. It depends on what the stations goal is, and since I don't know what you got built I can't say much now, but I can if you post more.

TL;DR: ~51 degrees, to accommodate the Soyuz.

Also, while I'm interested enough to talk and help out with planning, I'm quite sure I won't have time to fly any missions, so my opinion shouldn't go over a person who is interested and willing to fly. This shouldn't be tailored to my tastes, especially if it isn't fun or reasonable for anyone else. Just saying.