OFSS III Project info and discussion.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Thanks Kyle. The hardest of the flights is over now except for #12. Any progress on the MPLM flights? Still no rush, we have 6 more flights to go until the first MPLM. ;)

I'm not actually sure myself, I've never used it. Kyle is prepping that flight, so he'll have all the details as soon as he finishes preparing it.

MPLM flights are coming along fine! I've got 2 done so far, I'm just testing to make sure that the clearances are good, ect. When you need the scenario's just PM me in a few days, I've got school starting next week though.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I noticed your inclination is too high there PhantomCruiser, after flight #5. I probably should have mentioned to change the frame on the Orbit MFD to equatorial. No worries though, the next flight is with an XR5, so we can bring it back down to 51.60 degrees. :)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Dang... Didn't pay attention to what frame of reference the MFD was in.
Used a lot of fuel too.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
No worries, we can correct it. :)

I should have posted a reminder, its easy to over look that. With the right frame it shouldn't have taken much fuel though.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey Kevin.. You didn't adjust the orbital inclination of the station. You were supposed to press the 'FRM' button on the Orbit MFD as instructed in the document so that you change it to Equatorial frame before adjusting the plane. The station is supposed to be in 51.60 degrees inclination from an equatorial frame. You can see in the screen shot below where I highlighted the frame button displaying the equatorial frame now and the inclination is not on 51.60.

attachment.php

Attachments

• orbitmfd-frm.jpg
    orbitmfd-frm.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 111

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Question now is, do we re-fly the mission or just leave the station in this inclination? Thoughts anyone?

EDIT - Maybe a "rescue" type flight is added with no payload, just an XR5 sent up to fix the orbit?

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I suppose an orbital maintenance flight could be barfed up at this time. ESA's bird is still at Wideawake, but I'd imagine it wouldn't take too much to reconfig it for orbital flight.

After all, there's LOADS of cargo space inside the crew area for storing miscellaneous supplies for the station as it sits.

kevin580

Reaction score
Website
www.ascensionspaceagency.jimdo.com
Hey Kevin.. You didn't adjust the orbital inclination of the station. You were supposed to press the 'FRM' button on the Orbit MFD as instructed in the document so that you change it to Equatorial frame before adjusting the plane. The station is supposed to be in 51.60 degrees inclination from an equatorial frame. You can see in the screen shot below where I highlighted the frame button displaying the equatorial frame now and the inclination is not on 51.60.

attachment.php

Forgot to say, I did the same and then changed the plane. After I was ready, the plane changed by itself :idk:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Question now is, do we re-fly the mission or just leave the station in this inclination? Thoughts anyone?

EDIT - Maybe a "rescue" type flight is added with no payload, just an XR5 sent up to fix the orbit?

Depends how realistic you want it. Personally I'd say consider this a glitch and fly the missions with the station in this inclination. Add another mission to fix this problem or add the task to a mission further down the line.

I think that OFSS needs a few problems like this to keep it interesting. If all missions go perfectly were is the fun & realism?

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Forgot to say, I did the same and then changed the plane. After I was ready, the plane changed by itself :idk:

With all realism settings active and with orbit stabilization turn off, yes your orbit will change some. However, the inclination won't change from 51.60 to 56.72 in the time slot with which your flight was scheduled. ;)

No worries, we'll sort it out. As I am fixing to post in reply to Gary below...

Depends how realistic you want it. Personally I'd say consider this a glitch and fly the missions with the station in this inclination. Add another mission to fix this problem or add the task to a mission further down the line.

I think that OFSS needs a few problems like this to keep it interesting. If all missions go perfectly were is the fun & realism?

I completely agree and is the reason I continued after Phantom's flight instead of re-flying it. My worry now is how it would affect future flights as the mass increases, the plane becomes a lot harder to adjust except in small amounts. I think some sort of added "rescue" flight will be the best and most realistic solution in order to get the inclination closer to where it should be before the station mass gets too big.

I'm still tossing the ideas around in my head. I need to run some new tests with this current inclination.

Wood

Reaction score
I'd suggest splitting Flight 9 (HabMod5 + URMS3 + Artemis + PMA) into two flights, and using the resulting prop margin in each to correct the orbit. Seems better than sending one up empty.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd suggest splitting Flight 9 (HabMod5 + URMS3 + Artemis + PMA) into two flights, and using the resulting prop margin in each to correct the orbit. Seems better than sending one up empty.

I'd be up for that.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
If you're good, we may be able to do the inclination change with flight 9 as it is. I'll test it later, I'm just off for a few mile run in a bit.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey! What are you running from?

;)

The only variable I see is, how much room in the cargo bay is the existing consist going to take? Can we squeeze in a few extra canisters of propellant in the back?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey! What are you running from?

;)

Not from; rather for myself because I love to run, for my health, and possibly for a marathon next year if my right leg allows me. I'm just now pushing myself to the 6 mile mark, haven't quite made it yet. :)

The only variable I see is, how much room in the cargo bay is the existing consist going to take? Can we squeeze in a few extra canisters of propellant in the back?

Well it may be possible to do it with no extra fuel, however I suspect it'll be too close for comfort even if you could. I thought about adding some extra fuel containers as well which should work with your payload. I know it won't be a problem with weight, just unsure how many you will be able to carry in the extra space. Two extra fuel containers should be enough in any case which I don't foresee a problem fitting in with your space station cargo. :thumbup:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
add it as an option to a couple of missions and set a flight rule that the plane change can only be carried out if a certain quantity of prop is in reserve.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tex,

My wife and I have an in-joke . . . whenever we see a runner (at a lake, on a trail, etc), we like to imagine a monster following close behind them.

It kinda keeps life interesting at times. :)

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
add it as an option to a couple of missions and set a flight rule that the plane change can only be carried out if a certain quantity of prop is in reserve.

I don't think that will be necessary as there should be plenty of room to carry extra XR5 fuel containers in the cargo bay with flight #9. Given the amount it is off, certainly the major part of the plane change really needs to be done on flight 9. If anything, I'd almost rather see us compromise on a new inclination between the planned 51.60 and where it is now.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
One thing I'm a little hazy on:

How much of the cargo bay will the original consist take?

Because, putting it in a nerdy way, I can't imagine it'd be that difficult to dedicate the aft-most cells to fuel storage. Even if they're stacked on all three tiers.

The piping, of course, is modular (and not really modeled in this case).

That, I think, would ensure enough propellant to effect the necessary inclination change with fuel to spare (unless I happen to have a really nasty run of bad luck, of course).