OFMM V3 Mission Statement

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Antares LR would have a rough landing at around 15-30 m/s, even with the chutes and brake engines, plus, if it can even land softly it won't have enough fuel to get back to orbit.

EDIT: I just got an idea, use UCD and woo's UCGO Platform and mount them on a Shuttle-A?

33crdzp.png

No need: the UCGO 2.5 pack has a UCGO-compatible Shuttle-A with an improved VC. I've had a lot of fun with it. :cool:

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

@mojoey: Habs, science kits (no blender :p), fuel, oxygen, and a flag of some sort.
Keep in mind, the new UCGO pack DOES include the "exploration satellite" package. Doesn't do anything (yet), but it's still cool.
However, there IS that MTKS-Sat that comes with the DG-IV... Maybe that's the up-well cargo on the DG, and it gets released upon arrival. Then, load up the bay with UCGO crates, and head down to Mars.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Even with a greenhouse I would recomend bringing at least 1 box of "food and water". A greenhouse would be able to suppliment the food of a crew, but unless it was a particularly LARGE greenhouse, it would not be able (in and of itself) to provide all the food for a crew on an extended stay. Even thinking about that, that 1 box would likely only feed one person for a year...

We should either bring a GDI MINER, or take several of the cargo boxes "sample rock to collect" and "pre-seed" the landing area with rock samples. Another idea (and yes, I'm sorry for bringing up the idea of creating another addon) would be a cross between the "drill" in the surface science kit, and the GDI MINER. Basically, a functional core drill. You turn it on and every few minutes it creates a "core sample". 5 or 6 core samples together would be packable into a box marked "core sample"

It would also be nice to have some sort of small rover. There is a ucgo packable rover in the hangar, but I've tested it and it doesnt work, there is no mesh for the packed form.

An XPDR landing transmitter. While you cannot auto-land the DG-IV on it (nor would you want to...where's the fun in that) locking its signal up with your docking MFD will give you some usefull information during re-entry and landing (during the repeat trips), specifically, range to target.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well, woo482 made a UMMU-compatible rover that fits into the hold of a DG-IV...
The XPDR might be useful... What about the UCGO probe? It has a transponder, and it's controllable during descent.
As for the GDI Miner, I have the source code from the author if you want to take it for a spin and make something :)

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
HEHE, have you ever actually tried USING that cursed landing probe? You have to be a rocket scientist to have a prayer of even getting it to go towards the planet. ... wait a minute...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
;) yes, I have. IIRC, the "main" engine is actually the hover channel... So deorbit, then go nose first during entry, then eject the aeroshield after the dynamic pressure gets low enough, then perform a hover landing. :) There's an MFD that could help with that: HoverMFD. One of my favorites...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
@mojoey: Habs, science kits (no blender :p), fuel, oxygen, and a flag of some sort.
Keep in mind, the new UCGO pack DOES include the "exploration satellite" package. Doesn't do anything (yet), but it's still cool.
However, there IS that MTKS-Sat that comes with the DG-IV... Maybe that's the up-well cargo on the DG, and it gets released upon arrival. Then, load up the bay with UCGO crates, and head down to Mars.

IIRC, the DG-IV has only 4 UCGO slots, so we'd need to take two DGs, one for habitats, flag, and O2. The second would haul the science kit, and anything we missed on the first flight.

In other areas, has anyone decided roughly on an area they'd like to dig around? I'd be partial to landing near the ice caps, since we could get some ice for the fruit punch. Or...you know...science-y stuff.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Wait, what about everyone's favorite: XR2 Ravenstar. woo made an awesome UCGO rack that's really user-friendly. fits 6 crates... and with up to 14 UMMUs in the XR2, we've got a shuttle bus too. Just don't cheat and use the SCRAMs...

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Wait, what about everyone's favorite: XR2 Ravenstar. woo made an awesome UCGO rack that's really user-friendly. fits 6 crates... and with up to 14 UMMUs in the XR2, we've got a shuttle bus too. Just don't cheat and use the SCRAMs...

I like the XR-2 to a point. I like the fact that it is more scenario friendly, you can shut down the scenario with it still docked, you can't do that with the DG-IV. That said I still prefer the DG-IV because of its better flight controls and the fact that you don't need an extra add-on to be able to put UCGO cargos in it. The DG-IV also has a better skin selection.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Well, my fuel use estimate for using the DG-IV was correct, I was using WAY too much. I just did my most accurate landing yet (at Vallis Dao), only overshot by about 1km, and landed with 75.4% fuel remaining :)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Well, my fuel use estimate for using the DG-IV was correct, I was using WAY too much. I just did my most accurate landing yet (at Vallis Dao), only overshot by about 1km, and landed with 75.4% fuel remaining :)

Was your starting level 100%?

Last edited:

HazMatt

Reaction score
When you guys do this flight, are you going to post some videos afterwards so we can get a better idea of how it all worked out?

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
With any luck. I have fraps, but no video editing software.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Ok, I propose a landing site!

Since the recent discovery of Mars 3, I propose we land near there, scout the lander, and determine the fate of the lander.

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
oooooh, reminds me when Apollo 12 landed near Surveyor 3 and the crew collected parts of the probe to take back to Earth..Know coordinates for Mars 3?