garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Just curious to see how many people out there are interested in doing this mission to Mars. It seems that it's been discussed, debated, some meshing started and then something happened and it went quiet.

So - Who is interested in doing this? who wants a mission to the red planet?

Please reply to this thread and let me know the following:

1. What role you would like in OFMM (planning, meshing, flying a mission, etc)
2. What experience you have flying in LEO, to Mars, etc.
3. What your one concern about flying to Mars is (Time? skills? not flying?, etc)
4. Can you commit to something that will go on for several months?

If this roll call proves popular then what I'm looking at doing is adapting an ISA Mars plan for OFMM. It'll have around 20 missions with the majority NOT going to Mars - There will be LEO and Lunar missions to prepare everything for a Mars landing.

So, if you are interested in this reply, answer the four questions above and I'll put some plans together.

Roll Call is closed. Thanks to everyone who replied and answered my questions and so helped shape the mission plans.

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm interested.

(1) I'd love to fly missions, but also can help with coding and terrain meshes if needed.

(2) I can do nearly everything in LEO. Launch, Rendezvouz, Docking, getting to GSO, station building, all with average fuel consumption.
My flights to Mars could be a bit more efficient, but reentry and landing are no problem for me.

(3) Hard question... Propably my concern is that it will get to unrealistic. I'd love to see this beeing done with realistic ships, like the Mars Design Reference Mission.

(4) Absolutely. However I don't have that much time, around 5 hours a week.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
3. What your one concern about flying to Mars is (Time? skills? not flying?, etc)
1. Moral support, flying a mission. Haven't been able to do much else.
2. Plenty in LEO, enough in trans-Martian to get to Mars in a reasonable budget.
3. Time. What killed everything I tried before, public or otherwise. That and inability to make a decent mesh.
4. Yes, though like Astrosammy, somewhat restricted free time.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

1. Flying, perhaps planning/scheduling? Meshing skills are mediocre, but improving, (mesh application is the Energia-M development...http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=22760).
2. Experience in LEO mainly from OFSS I, II and III, Thorton's ISS and MIR, so lots of building. I can get to Mars via IMFD, but am not that great at setting it up, I typically use way too much fuel.
3. Basically yet to master IMFD
4. Yes, but of course work and wife must take priority.

On a side note, I was one of a hand full of guys who participated in OFMM (Lite). My prime mission was DGIV from ISS to Arrow freighter.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I'm no Yuri Gagarin, I can fly to an extent, but it's not really what I want. I've always seen myself in the planning or designing role (like Korolev).

I can mesh (see the TKS thread) but cannot texture very well (I have yet to master the Wings3D UV mapping tool).

As said above, I'm not a major pilot. I cannot fly to Mars using TransX or IMFD, however I can do Earth or Lunar based missions (e.g the preparation flights).

No problem with time or skills, however there is always the problem that the project will succumb to the 'initial enthusiasm' problem (see the Orbiter-Forum Space Station II (OFSSII) project).

Yes, I have literally bags of time on my hands so can devote a lot to the project.

It'll have around 20 missions with the majority NOT going to Mars - There will be LEO and Lunar missions to prepare everything for a Mars landing.

That will probably be where I am, I can do the Mars ground ops (I once thought of a hypothetical Mars Surface Experiment Package (MSExP) to do once I landed on Mars). I can also do anything centered around Earth orbit, and I have recently mastered the rendezvous and docking skill.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't answer here, I would need to know an approximate time line when the missions should take place. I can't guarantee to be online in the next weeks and planned to finish some SSU stuff when I am offline by technical reasons.

If the planned window is in the next year, I would be available for planning and flying, as long as it is not about making many or big add-ons. Maybe I am calculating too conservative, but I did have almost zero time for my own add-ons in the past 6 weeks because of the new apartment.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It's possible that one flight might happen this year but very unlikely. More like that the first mission will happen in the second week in January.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's possible that one flight might happen this year but very unlikely. More like that the first mission will happen in the second week in January.

If I am back soon enough before Christmas, I can assist in Mission Planning, but then, it would be good if somebody already declares himself responsible for being program lead. And when this person then tells me, what I should do, instead of everyone looking for the good jobs alone, and not the jobs that need to be done first.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Hi,

(1) I would go for planning missions as far as sending notifications if needed, and dates. I could also, if needed, work with finances?
(2) I can successfully get to LEO without autopilot on Deltagliders. I have attempted, and successfully docked the space shuttle to the ISS twice. I have been to Mars once with IMFD.
(3) Time. Would we be able to time accelerate to the launch window.
(4) School comes first, but I am mostly free to work. I will notify you if I will be unable to do my duties.

:cheers:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

1. I would like to fly a mission. I'm a follower, not a leader (I can't plan the mission or develop the vehicles). Also, I don't want to do ground ops.

2. I can get into orbit, rendezvous and dock, and use TransX to go to Mars (at least with unrealistic spacecraft such as the XR2, Arrow, etc.). I haven't learned how to do orbital assembly (e.g. station building).

3. Using over-realistic settings/spacecraft with very limited fuel/thrust (especially when manuevering and making rendezvous in LEO). I can't do complicated manuevers, slingshots, etc. Also, I haven't learned how to land on Mars yet.

4. I probably can, but I'm currently working on my own mission to Mars (personal video project). Also, there's school, but I usually don't have too much homework.

Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
I am interested in OFMM but not really flying missions. The main reason I got into this project in the beginning was to design and develop realistic spacecraft for a flight to Mars. I'm still interested in doing this and have many design sketches, calculations, etc. for the development of spacecraft but if the DRM 1.0 ships are going to be used exclusively and no design/development is required, I don't really have much to offer this project. Although most of my projects were put on hold in the last few months because of lack of free time (mostly taken up by school) I now have a much more stable schedule and I can commit to a long term project. I hope this gets started up again, it has so much potential!

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1) I would be up for something, though I'd rather it not be a flight role. Since I lack meshing/texturing skills, I would be most useful in mission planning and trajectory design. If these skills are needed, I would be happy to help. If not, I'll happily sit on the sidelines and watch.

2) I've been to Mars in Orbiter a bunch. It's not too terribly challenging anymore.

3) Since I'm not too interesting in flying, I'm not entirely sure how to respond. That said, I suppose RL time is my biggest limiting factor. I'll be okay come end of December, though, and I can likely put in a bit of time between now and then, too, depending on what task is asked of me.

4) If needed, yes.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You know, there should be some unrealism in OFMM (e.g. XR2), like how XR5s are used in OFSS 3. That way, it's more accessible.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Although most of my projects were put on hold in the last few months because of lack of free time (mostly taken up by school) I now have a much more stable schedule and I can commit to a long term project. I hope this gets started up again, it has so much potential!

If I co-ordinate this new version of OFMM the first rule on the list is 'No development'. If it's on Orbit hangar it can be used but it's my belief that the original project got caught in a development hell state from which it never recovered and there is nothing as off putting for a developer than to have to meet a timeline.

You know, there should be some unrealism in OFMM (e.g. XR2), like how XR5s are used in OFSS 3. That way, it's more accessible.

Nice thoughts but not for this thread. This is purely for roll call. A decision on what vehicles to be used can be made once the initial missions are written up. Until then, just like above 'if it's on OH, it's in scope for this new version of OFMM'.

However, for now, please keep this thread limited to roll call.

Thanks.

Pablo49

Reaction score

1. I guess I can fly. Don't think I have too much else to offer.
2. Quite a bit of LEO. Station building, so rendezvous, docking etc. My reentries are still a bit rough though.
3. I'm just too rusty with interplanetary stuff for any use, hence only mentioning LEO in 2.
4. Yep. Day-to-day time may vary, but that's to be expected.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
If I co-ordinate this new version of OFMM the first rule on the list is 'No development'. If it's on Orbit hangar it can be used but it's my belief that the original project got caught in a development hell state from which it never recovered and there is nothing as off putting for a developer than to have to meet a timeline.

I agree with this partially, OFMM was caught up by the huge meshing work involved (TMI stages, landers etc.), however there should be allowed 'five minute meshing', where extremely simple things could be made (such as the MSExP idea I posted above). :2cents:

[/OFF-TOPIC]

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No XR5 please. It's a nice ship, but makes projects like these ridiculously easy.

Edit: Missed some posts; nevermind.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I agree with this partially, OFMM was caught up by the huge meshing work involved (TMI stages, landers etc.), however there should be allowed 'five minute meshing', where extremely simple things could be made (such as the MSExP idea I posted above). :2cents:

If people want to do that and upload to orbit hangar thats wonderful. It may well then be integrated into the missions, however, I'm not waiting around for something to be built. This is not about that - this is about getting to Mars.

Now, back to roll call please. :cheers:

Wood

Reaction score
Sure, I'll join in. I flew missions in both OFSS II and OFSS III and somehow managed not to kill everyone. And I can mostly use TransX, I even got to Venus once. Besides, how hard can it be, right? :lol: And I have too much free time. Umm, I guess my main concern about flying to Mars would have to be landing in completely the wrong place. However, we have time compression and quicksave, what could possibly go wrong?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I can do in-atmo work great, and can fly the TX, G-42, the XR2, and the DGIV with ease. Getting to orbit is easy, and I have lots of practice at that. Anthing else, though, I'm not very good at. If you need an airlift pilot for transporting stuff from a (fictional) manufacturing site to a launch point, I'm game. If it's docking stuff that's been delivered to a matching orbit, I good with that too. I will have to look at my schedule for computer time for next semester, though. It may be cut short.

Status
Not open for further replies.