garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I don't have problems with the missions list.

Oh wait, nevermind. You can do two separate scenarios to dock with the mothership (at the same time) and combine the scenarios at the end. Please delete this post and the two posts above this one. I'm being stupid again.

Which missions do that? I'm confused because as far as I recall there are no docking missions at the same time. There are Mars missions at the same time.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You said you wanted the Cosmos (now changed to James Cook) because it had multiple docking ports. So we would send up multiple XR2s to dock with the James Cook. (OFMM-21 and 22)

I thought we needed to dock at the same time, sorry.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
You said you wanted the Cosmos (now changed to James Cook) because it had multiple docking ports. So we would send up multiple XR2s to dock with the James Cook. (OFMM-21 and 22)

I thought we needed to dock at the same time, sorry.

Nope.

The first XR-2 launches and docks. That crew will do a few things like get the ship ready, make the beds, put the kettle on, put the cat out, etc.

The second XR-2 will launch about 7 days after the first. This allows for the normal Safety Range recalibrations to be carried out, the next XR-2 to be properly prepped, etc.

So, for James cook to go to Mars you have three missions and three orbinaunts carrying them out:

First -> XR-2 Mission
Second -> XR-2 Mission (largely a repeat for the first but with an XR-2 docked)
Third - Taking the James Cook off to Mars.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was confused back then but now I'm not.

How will we make sure the Cook is in the correct plane before taking off for Mars?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
How will we make sure the Cook is in the correct plane before taking off for Mars?

It doesn't matter. An Off-Plane intercept is fine for Mars. It's not like Earth - ISS where plane matters. The amount of dV required for an off-plane intercept is very, very minor at those distances.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. An Off-Plane intercept is fine for Mars. It's not like Earth - ISS where plane matters. The amount of dV required for an off-plane intercept is very, very minor at those distances.

Actually, I don't think it's about the plane; I think it's more about the eject orientation and LAN.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Actually, I don't think it's about the plane; I think it's more about the eject orientation and LAN.

And we have a backroom trajectory office where Arrowstar has already started working on things like this. I am confused though, if it's not about plane why did you ask specifically about plane in the first place?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And we have a backroom trajectory office where Arrowstar has already started working on things like this. I am confused though, if it's not about plane why did you ask specifically about plane in the first place?

I was thinking of TransX's eject plan and the align planes MFD. You need to lower the Rel. Inc (when you're already in orbit) for the eject orientation. I thought it was about planes, when I found out it was more about the LAN.

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I'm already working on the best Earth parking orbit to leave from. (And I'll be insisting on parking orbits for the sake of equipment checkout and all that.) Needless to say, when the time comes the trajectory will be figured out. That said... if anyone wants to help me verify the stuff I'm working on, would be much appreciated! (Pipcard, if you have questions about this sort of thing and want to check it out for yourself, this is your chance.)

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey Gary, what's going on with OFMM? Was just curious to know when mission 1 was going to be posted. :)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
After Christmas. Probably 27th December.

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
Gotta let the crew say goodbye to their families first guys, come on :lol:

May I make a motion to propose the Deepstar as our planet hopping vessel? IMHO, it looks a bit more believable than the Cook.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
May I make a motion to propose the Deepstar as our planet hopping vessel? IMHO, it looks a bit more believable than the Cook.

This was briefly discussed in the mission discussion thread. Deepstar has too much dV. it's not even a challenge when you can do 7 laps of the oort cloud without refueling and it's why I proposed Cosmos but the crew wanted the James Cook so thats what it was changed to.

If you want to propose this change then feel free to discuss it on the mission discussions thread - I'm not flying so will set up the scenarios that people want.

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
This was briefly discussed in the mission discussion thread. Deepstar has too much dV. it's not even a challenge when you can do 7 laps of the oort cloud without refueling and it's why I proposed Cosmos but the crew wanted the James Cook so thats what it was changed to.

If you want to propose this change then feel free to discuss it on the mission discussions thread - I'm not flying so will set up the scenarios that people want.

Ooops, my bad. I lurk mostly, so I didn't take notice, I withdraw that statement. James Cook it is.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Well, I am very glad to see that this idea has taken off again and appears to have achieved a stable orbit :)

Sadly I don't know if I will be able to participate as orbiter seems to barely want to run at all on my new computer:( I will however, be lurking frequently to see how it is coming along :)

Good luck, and godspeed to all OFMM pilots.

Luke Skywalker

Rebel Alliance Hero
Reaction score
just a question, but are the missions launched in real time or Orbiter-Time ish(if something like that exists)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I've moved your question to the Q&A thread so that the missions thread can be kept on topic. this is why I've created specific threads.

Now, if you READ the Q&A on the FIRST PAGE of this thread you can see the maximum time that is allocated to a mission.

Lord Wasteland

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I was reading the mission thread, and I noticed even if the first lander missed the target, then the supply for the secondary landing zone will still be targetted. Would we either a) scrap the mission, or b) send it with the other supply to the primary LZ?