OFMM FAQ/Q&A

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like great fun! What other non-flying options are we looking at, if any? Trajectory optimization is good, but is there anything else in the works?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Okay. What I think I meant to check on was the amount of available Real Life time between missions. Obviously it'll take at least a few days to get a trajectory solution determined. I'm sure you've got it under control, though. Looking forward to this! :tiphat:

I hope I've got it under control but something will break :p

The way I plan on it working is that you'll see that we have a Mars mission as mission 6 (for sake of argument). I plan on missions going every 2 months on so in Orbiter time so you'll know that mission 6 is a year away. You can then start planning the best launch window OR you can say that it's not efficent enough in terms of dV to go then so we'll skip mission 6, do 7, 8 and 9 then 6.

Yes we may be flying some out of order. Just like the STS programme did.

I hope that makes some sense!

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hope I've got it under control but something will break :p

The way I plan on it working is that you'll see that we have a Mars mission as mission 6 (for sake of argument). I plan on missions going every 2 months on so in Orbiter time so you'll know that mission 6 is a year away. You can then start planning the best launch window OR you can say that it's not efficent enough in terms of dV to go then so we'll skip mission 6, do 7, 8 and 9 then 6.

Yes we may be flying some out of order. Just like the STS programme did.

I hope that makes some sense!

It does, though I'm not sure how well it'll work in Orbiter-time. Earth-Mars transfer windows open two years or so, making an interesting challenge if you wish to maintain that flight rate. I'll have to wait and see what the mission requirements are, though I'm sure I can come up with missions that launch whenever The Management wants them to. :) This is going to be exciting!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Sounds like great fun! What other non-flying options are we looking at, if any? Trajectory optimization is good, but is there anything else in the works?

The only other things I can think of is the 'Master plan' which I've already half written for my ISA Mars plan. That'll be there for people to amend and any 'formal' docs such as checklists/flightplans, etc.

Last edited:

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
UMMU destabilizes at ~2040.

Really, my personal (yet very buggy) VSA is operationg in 2043, I haven't noticed any real problems. (although that might be what's screwing my scenarios up.)

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
what makes UMMU destabilize at 2040? I am currently at 2023 in my personal VSA, while not there yet, I am approaching it.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
how about New Dawn, or Trinity

is there a cap on the number of participants?

Trinity is the name of the first nuclear detonation. Not something you'd want a peaceful exploration mission to be associated with.

New Dawn sounds like the plan for an invasion.

How about 'OFMM'?

I learned that we should plan the mission first before deciding on names.

Indeed. Mission plan first. Besides which do we need a name or logo or anything else?

Surely, the most important things are the mission plan and scenarios?

Chub777

Reaction score
Are the missions going to be flown "the BARIS way"? By that I mean flying missions in LEO to gain experience (docking, EVA, etc) , then heading to the Moon and eventually, Mars.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Are the missions going to be flown "the BARIS way"? By that I mean flying missions in LEO to gain experience (docking, EVA, etc) , then heading to the Moon and eventually, Mars.

Some. Mostly the missions will be flown to build up/fix infrastructure in LEO then head out to Mars.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Are the missions going to be flown "the BARIS way"? By that I mean flying missions in LEO to gain experience (docking, EVA, etc)
For a mission to Mars in the current time period, I think that it's assumed that we've already got LEO/docking/EVA pretty much licked already with the ISS...

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
For a mission to Mars in the current time period, I think that it's assumed that we've already got LEO/docking/EVA pretty much licked already with the ISS...

Thats my thinking. The only skills I could see needing to be learned would be orbital construction of a space ship, and filling it up with fuel.

And of course space test outs and soaks for the lander, a la Apollo 9.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
adapting an ISA Mars plan for OFMM

Will the adapted plan be under the ISA banner or will there be different space agencies? Will we be able to use custom NASA, ESA, JAXA, or CSA XR2/XR5 skins, or even skins that don't represent an organization? It can allow for more personalized missions.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Will the adapted plan be under the ISA banner or will there be different space agencies? Will we be able to use custom NASA, ESA, JAXA, or CSA XR2/XR5 skins, or even skins that don't represent an organization? It can allow for more personalized missions.

This is being run totally seperately from ISA. Materials from ISA will be used and I will be taking some of the ideas and the planning to enhance my ISA missions.

The choosen flyers can use whatever skins they wish to use. If they feel that a particular mission is best flown under the NASA banner then they can do so.

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:21 ----------

Thats my thinking. The only skills I could see needing to be learned would be orbital construction of a space ship, and filling it up with fuel.

Orbital fueling of a ship will happen but there won't be on orbit building of a ship. I think that copying too much from OFSS and has difficulties of its' own.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Trinity is the name of the first nuclear detonation. Not something you'd want a peaceful exploration mission to be associated with.

New Dawn sounds like the plan for an invasion.

How about 'OFMM'?

you make them sound VERY depressing

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
you make them sound VERY depressing

Thank you it's a skill I've picked up from dealing with PR departments who look at this sort of thing and treat it very seriously.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Will you be doing Terra-forming on Mars?