garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I thought it would be worth putting up a FAQ based on some of the questions and discussions in the role call thread.

Q. Can I do some development work for this project?

A. Yes but the project won't wait for that development work should it stall for any reason. There are no plans for OFMM exclusive development work because that's what killed the original project. The rule is 'If it's on OH it may be used' so if you want to develop something for the project feel free to do so and post it on OH so that everyone can benefit.

Q. Can I design mission patches for these missions?

A. Sure. Again, Missions won't wait for a patch to be complete. If you want a patch for your mission I believe Pipcard is happy to design them and post them here.

Q. How will the missions work?

A. Each mission will have a Primary Commander and a Backup Commander. The primary will have a week in which to START the mission (posting a note in the missions thread (yet to be created) is fine. They then have three weeks to complete the mission. If by that time they haven't the backup commander will take over.
Should both the primary and backup be unable to fly the mission it will be offered to the general OFMM group for someone to pick it up. The primary and backup may get another, later mission.

Q. How many missions will there be?

A. If we count 'missions' to include a few side trips flying around Earth on errands for OFMM we are looking at about 28. There may be more or less depending on how the missions shape out.

Q. How much realism will there be?

A. 'Some' is the best answer I can give. We will be using Arianne, XR-5, XR-2 and others. The reason being that these are more forgiving and allow more people to participate in OFMM. Also some of the missions will require a fairly hefty Earth to LEO requirement.

Q. Can we use OMP? Teamspeak, etc?

A. Absolutely. If you would like to use these tools to help you with your assigned mission please go for it.

Q. How will we keep track of the 'Master' Scenario file?

A. I'll host the master scenario file on an external website. This site will be for some specific checklist and mission scenario downloads and the one copy of the Master scenario. When a mission is complete PM me with the scenario, I'll validate it and update it on the site.

Q. When will the mission list be posted?

A. A preliminary Mission list will be posted on Thursday, December 8th. This missions list will be open for debate for a week and then the final missions list will be generated from that.

Q. So when does the first mission lift off?

A. The first actual OFMM mission will lift off NET 26th December.

Q. I missed out on roll call - Can I still fly?

A. Yes, I'll leave the thread open and feel free to post your details. You may not get a flight but I'll see what I can do.

Q. Ok, so the mission plan is written, the mission assigned but I want to do something else - How do I change the mission plan?

A. If you are flying OFMM then you don't. If it's something you are not clear on we still have the general discussion thread and your question can be posted there but I don't want the missions to end up in a months long discussion over the 'right' way to do this. Once the week discussion on the missions has ended I want to have a fairly concrete Mars plan.

Q. Where are we landing on Mars?

A. TBD. One of the missions in the missions list is to send an orbiter to Mars. When it arrives I'll create a landing site thread and we can agree on a landing location then - I'm trying to keep people involved who may not even be flying to Mars and to keep it fun and dynamic.

Q. My question isn't on this list!

A. Opps. Reply to the thread and I'll answer it. Or try to. I won't ignore it. honest! :tiphat:

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How can those of us who asked for a non-flight role (trajectory work, etc) participate?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
In a lot of ways your job will be one of the most important.

What I am aiming to do is finish up and release the missions list for discussion on Thursday. After that I'll create a new thread called 'OFMM Trajectory back office' where you guys can work out the best way of achieving the goals of getting to Mars and other places because it's not just Mars that this project will be flying to. :cheers:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh really? Where else will we be going?

I'd love to explore Mars' moons, and go back to our moon and colonize.

And by using anything on O-H, does that include the DGIV?

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In a lot of ways your job will be one of the most important.

What I am aiming to do is finish up and release the missions list for discussion on Thursday. After that I'll create a new thread called 'OFMM Trajectory back office' where you guys can work out the best way of achieving the goals of getting to Mars and other places because it's not just Mars that this project will be flying to. :cheers:

Excellent! This sounds like a great deal of fun! :thumbup:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Oh really? Where else will we be going?

Wait and see but as a hint - what would you line in place before going to mars?

Excellent! This sounds like a great deal of fun! :thumbup:

Thanks - thats the idea - It should be done so that every has a go and what they like and want to do but also can learn from others.

Ark

Reaction score
Hehe, you really should have capitalized the "FAQ" in the title. With the automatic underlining it looks like...well, you know. :lol:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks - thats the idea - It should be done so that every has a go and what they like and want to do but also can learn from others.

I assume then that those of us in the 'back room' will have sufficient time to try and work out trajectories before each mission that requires it? :)

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wait and see but as a hint - what would you line in place before going to mars?

I would say the moon. It would be much more easy to get to mars if you were on the moon. Wouldn't have to plan for a launch window so much?

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
How about the Odyssey?

To prevent this going down the new Orbiter Magasine way, we need to know our resources and methods before we start slapping patches and names to things. we need content; finding out what goes where before we start to think about the minor, shiny and trivial details.

So let's get the important stuff out of the way first: timelines, mission details etc. Then we can arrange what goes where and fit the little blocks in between.

:2cents:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Hehe, you really should have capitalized the "FAQ" in the title. With the automatic underlining it looks like...well, you know. :lol:

Opps. Done!

I assume then that those of us in the 'back room' will have sufficient time to try and work out trajectories before each mission that requires it? :)

If you don't it's your fault as you'll be picking the launch windows. :lol:
Seriously though you should have enough time, if you don't then push the launches back. The 'Trajectory back office' will have a big hand in shaping when each mission launches (in orbiter time).

Will the manned Mars missions be called Ares?

No.

The original was called Prometheus, we might have even had a mission patch but I'm not sure.

Prometheus is the name of an existing addon. this mission will not be called prometheus.

How about the Odyssey?

No.

I would say the moon. It would be much more easy to get to mars if you were on the moon. Wouldn't have to plan for a launch window so much?

Wait and see. Mission plans are up for discussion on Thursday.

To prevent this going down the new Orbiter Magasine way, we need to know our resources and methods before we start slapping patches and names to things. we need content; finding out what goes where before we start to think about the minor, shiny and trivial details.

So let's get the important stuff out of the way first: timelines, mission details etc. Then we can arrange what goes where and fit the little blocks in between.

:2cents:

Thank you and true. This FAQ is more for the methodology than the naming. To be honest, like mission patches, I don't much care what you want to call it. To me it'll be OFMM-[Number].

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Will the missions take place in 2010s, 2020s, or

The first mission will start on January 4th 2012 in Orbiter time. It will be flown around that time as well - Possibly a week before hand.

Also, what is the estimated timespan from the first mission to the last mission?

5 years in Orbiter time or 9 months in real time.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you don't it's your fault as you'll be picking the launch windows. :lol:
Seriously though you should have enough time, if you don't then push the launches back. The 'Trajectory back office' will have a big hand in shaping when each mission launches (in orbiter time).

Okay. What I think I meant to check on was the amount of available Real Life time between missions. Obviously it'll take at least a few days to get a trajectory solution determined. I'm sure you've got it under control, though. Looking forward to this! :tiphat:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As a heads-up, I already have project logo designs, I'll go dig those up and try updating them. For now it's just OFMM.