General Question No external sound on the Moon

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But if your ship has a pressurized cabin, shouldn't you be able to hear the rumble of the engines through the hull?

Yes, but very silently, since the sound only transfers over the structure usually. After the biblical noise of the SRBs (and wind) is gone, you can't really hear the SSMEs of the Space Shuttle, despite them being only 30 meters behind you.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
There's no problem with sound on exterior views (even in space) if you imagine, in your mind, that the pilot is still inside the spacecraft...
Such a function on OrbiterSound would make sense for me: "Always simulate sound as from inside the cockpit ?"

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I guess that on the Moon you could feel something heavy like a Shuttle-A landing a few hundred meters from you, through the ground, and your moonboots. But that's not really hearing...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess that on the Moon you could feel something heavy like a Shuttle-A landing a few hundred meters from you, through the ground, and your moonboots. But that's not really hearing...

Well, actually in theory, maybe the lunar dirt could be the transfer medium? :shrug:

I recall that all of those descent stage crashes into the lunar surface returned data where the moon has an auditory consistency like a bell, keeps ringing long after the initial strike. Maybe that could give it some odd effects like that.