Next Orbiter Version - Close to a release candidate?

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
Hi All,
I know this gets asked from time to time,
But seeing as 3 years have nearly passed since the last 'patch', & 3.3 years since the full release.
This is the longest time span there has ever been between releases since Orbiter began. (& these were done by just Martin.) .. Seems that now more people are contributing? .. things are perversely slooowing down.....?

Whilst you could argue that Orbiter is far more complex now, it is not just Martin working on it any more?

No sarky 'Next Tuesday' answers please...
& I know about the beta versions as well, but those are NOT release candidates...

A simple question requiring a yes or no answer, .... Is the next version of Orbiter close to a release candidate?

Cheers

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Martin is the only person who knows, and, AFAIK, he has never announced the release date or completion status of an Orbiter version before he released it. We might be able to make some guesses by looking at the betas to see how polished they are, but they'd only be guesses. He could make a release tomorrow, or the next release could be 20 years down the line.

But in general, tl8's answer seems to be correct. No.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
From the FAQ:

A2. When will the next version be released, and what is going to be in it?
I don't announce release dates and feature lists. This is mainly because Orbiter is a
hobby of mine, and I don't need the pressure of working against a deadline or fixed specification. I can't always predict how much time I can spend on Orbiter, so the interval between releases will vary. The features added in a new version are usually a mixture of my own ideas and user requests.
Occasionally screen shots of the upcoming version will be posted on the Gallery page, just to keep the suspense up.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've always liked the answer "Next Tuesday."

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is the longest time span there has ever been between releases since Orbiter began. (& these were done by just Martin.) .. Seems that now more people are contributing? .. things are perversely slooowing down.....?

Whilst you could argue that Orbiter is far more complex now, it is not just Martin working on it any more?
This is not true. Martin is still the only person working on the Orbiter core.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The current beta is still pretty sweet, even if it's a beta release... Seems like most everything "works", although the Energy Project does cause me a CTD.

But it's still beta, things are to be expexted...

ijuin

Reaction score
I could care less whether it comes sooner or later as long as it comes eventually.

Keatah

Reaction score
Orbiter release this, orbiter release that, definitely next tuesday without a doubt. blaaaggghhh blaaaagggghh!

Every week is a new release! You never know what you'll find at orbithangar.com

All these addons really do make orbiter a bigger, badder, better (and slower) program! Thanks to all the devs Orbiter has something new to mess around with every week!