Request Next Orbiter release suggessions

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
My list:

1. Allowing rings to be rendered around meshes for planets, not just spherical planets.
  2. Some method for doing comets. Most of what is required is already there, we just need a way of doing cometary tails that still look good.
  3. Eclipses. Right now with Orbiter, if you are orbiting a moon around a planet, when the moon goes into the shadow of the planet, the shadow is rendered on the spacecraft, but not on the moon itself.
  4. Change how orbital periods are calculated for moons. Right now, Orbiter calculates the orbital period of a moon by using the combined mass of the moon and the body it is orbiting. This works great for the vast majority of objects in the solar system, but in cases where you have a very large moon orbiting a parent body (think Pluto and Charon), the orbital periods of any moon outside of that large moon need the mass of that larger inner moon added to that total mass calculation. That or just allow for manually editing the orbital period of a moon.
  5. Rendering the Oblateness for planets/moons. In real life, both Jupiter and Saturn are visually ellipsoidal, and not perfect spheres.

Coolio_vimal

Reaction score
My list:

1. Allowing rings to be rendered around meshes for planets, not just spherical planets.
  2. Some method for doing comets. Most of what is required is already there, we just need a way of doing cometary tails that still look good.
  3. Eclipses. Right now with Orbiter, if you are orbiting a moon around a planet, when the moon goes into the shadow of the planet, the shadow is rendered on the spacecraft, but not on the moon itself.
  4. Change how orbital periods are calculated for moons. Right now, Orbiter calculates the orbital period of a moon by using the combined mass of the moon and the body it is orbiting. This works great for the vast majority of objects in the solar system, but in cases where you have a very large moon orbiting a parent body (think Pluto and Charon), the orbital periods of any moon outside of that large moon need the mass of that larger inner moon added to that total mass calculation. That or just allow for manually editing the orbital period of a moon.
  5. Rendering the Oblateness for planets/moons. In real life, both Jupiter and Saturn are visually ellipsoidal, and not perfect spheres.

Need HDRR and FXAA?

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Dont understand man

You responded to my post with "Need HDRR and FXAA?" I didn't understand what you where responding to in my posts.

Or where you just saying Orbiter could use it?

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

In the next orbiter release is: the ability to do interstellar space flight. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

gertz

Reaction score
Ability to force orbits of the stellar bodies (for L1, L2, L3). Basically, ability to set the speed manually when it might be needed.

Multiple stat support (Setting body mesh to sprite and making it act as the second source of light).

Probably - ability to define a torus of space where asteroids are generated.

Some basic, primitive collision detection provided by hitboxes composed from spheres. Would be great to implement as a module, though.

Ability to render atmosphere, rings and clouds for bodies with texture level 0.

Atmosphere haze to be set by two values: Maximum height and height where it turns from transparent to "solid". This would allow to manage the gradient and height of haze. To be used for gas planets high atmosphere layers visualisation.

Last edited:

gertz

Reaction score
Binary, triple, quadro, etc. stellar system.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
- 3D Landscapes which are realistic for the known parts we have data from, and for the moons / planets were we don't have data from, the landscapes should be autogenerated :thumbup:

- "Contact detection", so that it's possible to land on a base/runway which is in the mountains :tiphat:

- A more realistic "damage model", which can detect crashes into the 3D-Landscapes and into other vessels.

I think for the next Orbiter version this is may be enogh for me... :lol:

But whatever Martin is doing, I trust him that the next version will be great and I will be happy for each new feature!

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there is already a thread for that elsewhere ;)