Idea Next/Future AMSO ideas

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
VenusFlybyCutaway.jpg

Thanks DLR! Is it about the size of Skylab or is it smaller or larger?

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Some of my ideas:
-A particle for the other stages besides stage 1. I LOVE the stage one effect, and I would like to see them implemented in the other stages.
-A VC with working displays (fuel, altitude, attitude, etc).
-(Already stated) More failure simulations
-Possibly more auto-pilots?
-An oxygen display for EVA

All my ideas

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
-A VC with working displays (fuel, altitude, attitude, etc).

The only way it could appear in the VC in the current release is to press [TAB] while in the VC.

-Possibly more auto-pilots?

TLI, LOI, and TEI.

-An oxygen display for EVA

Even better, a display with everything including oxygen, temperature, distance traveled, fatigue meter, etc.

Jebusy

Reaction score
These are soem really good ideas, shouldnt have read them because now amso feels incomplete....clickable vc and ummu, oh and more failures....

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
These are soem really good ideas, shouldnt have read them because now amso feels incomplete....clickable vc and ummu, oh and more failures....

AMSO is still good in my taste. It's like best add-on for visual effects in Orbiter!

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
Implementation of the minor ascent anomalies during Apollo 13.

Quotes from Apollo by the Numbers:

"...the S-II center engine shut down at 000:05:30.64, 132 seconds earlier than planned."

"
The remaining S-II engines burned 34 seconds longer than planned and shut down at 000:09:52.64. After separation, the S-IVB ignited at 000:09:56.90 and burned 9 seconds longer than planned, shutting down at 000:12:29.83..."

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Another thing
-A re-entry "glow" on the heath shield, like the Ravenstar and the DGIV would be nice

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Now I remember the other ones I wanted:
When doing EVA on the moon, it would be nice to see:
-Them jump further then they do now. It seems like they jump higher then they do further.
-Possible jumping animation?
-The "3 different" jumps (As seen on myth busters: The classic moon "skip", the vertical jump (w/ salute), and the "waddle")

Also, a heat meter on the lunar rover, so I know WHEN to turn on the radiator so I don't overheat.

Possible selection of landing sites?

And, in case anybody read over it...particle effects for stage 2/3/CSM

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
How about the implementation of the RCS exhaust in the LM VC? It might be difficult to do, but the LM could get a visual kick. :)

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
Three ideas:

1. Edited Apollo 10 launch scenario where the Saturn V is actually placed on LC-39B.

(If anyone would like the fix early, please replace the original POS with POS -80.6238840 28.6201660 in the Apollo 10 launch scenario.)

2. Docking\undocking ATC support.

3. More ALSEP experiments, such as the Lunar Laser Ranging Experiment.

Torgo

Reaction score
For EVAs on the moon, in addition to the rock gathering missions, I'd love to see the other experiments added to the mission list. They'd need to be deployed in historical order at the historical location.

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
For EVAs on the moon, in addition to the rock gathering missions, I'd love to see the other experiments added to the mission list. They'd need to be deployed in historical order at the historical location.

To highlight Apollo 14, an awesome "experiment" would be Alan Shepard's golf game. It seems like Apollo 14 was hidden by more known Apollo missions, such as Apollo 11, 13, and 15. ;)

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
Adding more ground cameras would be sweet. For example, the long-range cameras.

Saturn_V_in_flight.jpg

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Three ideas:
1. Edited Apollo 10 launch scenario where the Saturn V is actually placed on LC-39B.
Also, as far as I can tell, the texture for the Launch pad is LC39B, and most of the apollo missions launched from LC39A. It's more noticeable in the current betas where you have much higher res surface for KSC.

It would be nice to have both pads having the HQ textures and two bases for the launch sites - LC39A and LC39B, rather than just the current 'canaveral'. That way you can have the different missions launching from the correct pads.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Launching Apollo 10 from 39B is already possible: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3615"]AMSO Hi-Res KSC Patch[/ame]
The update includes that scenario.

I do not presume to speak for Alain, but in conversations with him (as well as in posts to the old forum), he has categorically stated that AMSO will NOT include an SIB now or at any time in the future. The time involved, the complexity and the increased package size to include one additional mission (Apollo 7) are not worth it to him or Luis. Modeling the ancillary equipment ("milkstool" and Skylab itself) further preclude the addition of those missions.

The Velcro Saturn package is now compatible with AMSO, and in fact Usonian took advantage of that fact with his Skylab. There are additional downloads involved (AMSO & Velcro Saturn), but IIRC, he included at least the Skylab launch scenarios (though again, if memory serves, they launch from LC34 NOT 39. The only "milkstool" was made by Kev33 a number of years ago and for some reason, always played Hell with guidance).

While the ideas I've seen are interesting, they're approaching unreasonable expectations. As yet, fluidly animating the human form is not possible within the context of Orbiter. I'd guess that Orbiter is already far more diverse than Martin ever anticipated, but it can not be all things to all people. It is first and foremost a spaceflight simulator and to that end has succeeded beyond measure.

I don't mean to piss in anybody's cornflakes, but if you're expecting to see even half of what you're talking about here in the next release, you're going to be sadly disappointed. Alain & Luis are tremendously talented individuals who follow their own vision of what AMSO should be, not yours or mine.

As far as "tweaking" what we've already got to work with, you can transplant the Marius & Copernicus meshes and textures from the old NEP add-on into AMSO. Yes, it does work (I've done it). A lot of the ideas I've seen here could be implemented fairly easily by anyone with a little patience.

I'm sure that whatever Alain decides to do with AMSO will shock and astound us. Just don't set yourselves up for a fall...

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
Launching Apollo 10 from 39B is already possible: AMSO Hi-Res KSC Patch
The update includes that scenario.

I do not presume to speak for Alain, but in conversations with him (as well as in posts to the old forum), he has categorically stated that AMSO will NOT include an SIB now or at any time in the future. The time involved, the complexity and the increased package size to include one additional mission (Apollo 7) are not worth it to him or Luis. Modeling the ancillary equipment ("milkstool" and Skylab itself) further preclude the addition of those missions.

The Velcro Saturn package is now compatible with AMSO, and in fact Usonian took advantage of that fact with his Skylab. There are additional downloads involved (AMSO & Velcro Saturn), but IIRC, he included at least the Skylab launch scenarios (though again, if memory serves, they launch from LC34 NOT 39. The only "milkstool" was made by Kev33 a number of years ago and for some reason, always played Hell with guidance).

While the ideas I've seen are interesting, they're approaching unreasonable expectations. As yet, fluidly animating the human form is not possible within the context of Orbiter. I'd guess that Orbiter is already far more diverse than Martin ever anticipated, but it can not be all things to all people. It is first and foremost a spaceflight simulator and to that end has succeeded beyond measure.

I don't mean to piss in anybody's cornflakes, but if you're expecting to see even half of what you're talking about here in the next release, you're going to be sadly disappointed. Alain & Luis are tremendously talented individuals who follow their own vision of what AMSO should be, not yours or mine.

As far as "tweaking" what we've already got to work with, you can transplant the Marius & Copernicus meshes and textures from the old NEP add-on into AMSO. Yes, it does work (I've done it). A lot of the ideas I've seen here could be implemented fairly easily by anyone with a little patience.

I'm sure that whatever Alain decides to do with AMSO will shock and astound us. Just don't set yourselves up for a fall...

I completely understand you Saturn V. Alain and Luis already have done an incredible job with AMSO. IMHO, AMSO already is the best add-on in Orbiter! I have indeed received a PM from ACSoft telling me that the next release of AMSO will not come until a new version of Orbiter is released. Also, the main thing that they will implement in the next version is a fully-functional VC! :speakcool:

For Apollo 7, it would be very helpful if someone would make a Multistage2 Saturn IB with an AMSO CSM as not all people (especially beginners) have an experience with Velcro.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For Apollo 7, it would be very helpful if someone would make a Multistage2 Saturn IB with an AMSO CSM as not all people (especially beginners) have an experience with Velcro.

If I'm not mistaken, Usonian took that into account. I belive that he has a configuration for the Velcro SIB (which uses the AMSO CSM) already in the Skylab add-on.

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to transplant it into a scenario of your choosing (such as the aforementioned Apollo 7...which incidentally, actually did launch from LC34). Except for the rendezvous with the SIVB, there's not much to do as it was an Earth-orbital endurance mission, but "to each, their own" as they say.

BTW: I don't know if it was corrected in a newer release, but the only glaring discrepancy with the Velcro Saturn/AMSO CSM pairing is that the high-gain or S-Band antenna (I forget which, but it's the one at the base of the SM) sticks out of the launch adapter. I never could figure out how to retract it for launch, but it may have just been a "hiccup" in the compatibility. As I said, I haven't flown it recently so I don't know if the issue persists. Just a heads up...

All in all though, pretty easy to get the hang of.

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
What about a tunnel you can see through into the LM, but it plugs up when you undock?