New Star Wars movies confirmed (NO SPOILERS!)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Going into this with no expectation beyond being entertained! I'm certainly not going to assume it's been screwed up simply because it's new.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Same here. I'll give it a fair shake just like I did with the Trek reboot.

If they can pull off some well done CGI (which I think they can) for eye candy, don't overuse the lens flare (riiiight), not require hearing protection to see it in the theater and give me a good story, I'm all for it.

On CGI; it should be used to enhance the story, not be the story.
Lens flare; used sparingly to emphasize a dramatic composition.
Volume; audiance members shouldn't have to strain to hear dialog only to have ears bleed during explosions.
A good story; make me want to spend the price of a bottle of bourbon to see the story, because with a bottle of bourbon I can make a pretty good one myself.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
make me want to spend the price of a bottle of bourbon to see the story, because with a bottle of bourbon I can make a pretty good one myself.

More into scotch myself, and, thankfully, a cinema ticket is still ways cheaper than a good bottle of that over here... :shifty:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yeah, single malt (which is the best stuff on Earth) has a pretty price.

But I've yet to meet a single bourbon or rum that I can't be friends with.

My kiddo and I were discussing the merits of the soccerball astromech. Clearly it must maitain the body/dome connection with magnets?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
There is no greater fallacy than to think that everything new is automatically better than the status quo.

Well, perhaps the one to think that the status quo is the perfect ending to everything and the universe.

:cheers:

No greater fallacy ... even than making unsupported, unscientific, largely opinionated and superlative claims ...about Disney films?

j/k Face :lol:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No greater fallacy ... even than making unsupported, unscientific, largely opinionated and superlative claims ...about Disney films?

Especially about Disney films. :lol:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I just like my stories to have endings. Its one thing to continue a story, its another to end it, then start it back up 30 years later. Especially in the 'The next movie is the setup for the one after that' format MCU style.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Boy, you're going to be exacerbated by the time Episodes XIX-XXI comes out. :p

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Lens flare; used sparingly to emphasize a dramatic composition.

Lens flare is bad. Lens flare is evil. Lens flare is something every photographer and cinematorapher learns to avoid. If you had lens flare on a Kubrick film, The Stanley would summon Alex De Large himself to rip your eyes out and pour molten lead into the empty, bloody eyesockets. Lens flare adds "drama" to a scene like a superimposed QR code on a video made with an unregistered codec.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Lens flare is bad. Lens flare is evil. Lens flare is something every photographer and cinematorapher learns to avoid. If you had lens flare on a Kubrick film, The Stanley would summon Alex De Large himself to rip your eyes out and pour molten lead into the empty, bloody eyesockets. Lens flare adds "drama" to a scene like a superimposed QR code on a video made with an unregistered codec.

Adding a lens flare to a SFX shot is one thing. Adding lens flare to EVERY shot is quite another.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Agreed. I shouldn't have an urge to reach for my sunglasses while watching a movie.

I'd always considered lens flare the mark of a poor quality lens. Or that I really need to clean my glasses.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My kiddo and I were discussing the merits of the soccerball astromech. Clearly it must maitain the body/dome connection with magnets?

Magnets work so much better in Star Wars science.

iu

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Lens flare is good if you're trying to recreate an actual effect, such as looking towards the sun through multiple panes of glass, as if from inside a vehicle with a space helmet on or something.

Jar Jar Abrams also uses it for dramatic effect, which is a subjective artistic choice that may or may not appeal to you. While I'm not a fan of his in general, I never had a problem with how he used it, but I can see how some people would.

As far as Kubrick goes; he was certainly a master who was always in firm control of what you saw in the screen. Very little was accidental. In photography lens flare is often an accident, which is why it is the mark of someone who hasn't yet mastered the craft. If JJ Abrams is using it on purpose, than it's not a sign of incompetence, just taste.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Magnets work so much better in Star Wars science.
I'm not sure what you mean in this respect, since the BB-8 droid is a practical effect that they've also rolled out on stage...so it clearly doesn't need "Star Wars science" to function.

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
look at the new trailer and say your not excited awesome

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean in this respect, since the BB-8 droid is a practical effect that they've also rolled out on stage...so it clearly doesn't need "Star Wars science" to function.

Yeah it was a joke. You see, here's how the joke works...never mind.:tiphat:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, was anyone here ever a member of the Emperor's Hammer?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
4 years for one fan to make that anime, that is dedication.

With an extremely impressive result! It's also always nice seeing things come out from the Empire's perspective.