New Star Wars movies confirmed (NO SPOILERS!)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Well, it doesn't really matter who writes the script, because it's gonna go to a committee in Disney HQ that will declare "This is no good, it needs to appeal to X, Y, and Z demographics and needs more merchandising potential."

Then we get shoehorned love stories, cutsy sidekicks, and less mature/more palatable themes for Disney's target audiences.

Not if you understand exactly how Disney is treating LucasFilm. As I explained earlier, LucasFilm is going to be given the 'hands-off' treatment that Marvel has gotten, as LucasFilm is incharge of producing Episode 7. Disney will overview the plot and approve it, but they're not going to micromanage it to put cutsy sidekicks, and less mature themes, just to make sure that there obviously won't be anything in there that is bluntly obvious to offend people.

Making a B- Star Wars movie like the prequels again will make a lot of money, but a highly reviewed and moving Star Wars movie like the originals will make even more. Check out the ticket sales for A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, they're high as could be. Adjust for inflation, they would be in the billions - why? Because they were good, and they revolutionized the way people saw movies. That's how you maximize profit, make a Star Wars movies that kids will adore until they're in their 40s, and that the adults will enjoy as well because of how well they're done. CGI should never, ever substitute for plot and dialogue.

It seems to me people don't understand that even though Phantom Menace did well at the Box Office, very well, it was because of the hype it built up and not because it was anything revolutionary like A New Hope was. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith did not do so well with ticket sales compared to Episode 5, and 6 simply because, in the case of Attack of the Clones at least, a bad word of mouth spread around and people were generally against seeing it again until DVD.

Simply put, a mature Star Wars Episode 7 with a great plot, great acting, and all around a good movie will please fans, maximize profit, and increase revenue for future Star Wars films. A bad Star Wars Episode 7, with a so-so plot, uneven acting, and not a very good film won't maximize profit, it will turn off already alienated fans, and decrease potential revenue for future Star Wars films. Don't expect to see Justin Bieber, Mickey Mouse, and Harrison Ford pop in for a sing-along in the middle of the film :thumbup:

Ark

Reaction score
Simply put, a mature Star Wars Episode 7 with a great plot, great acting, and all around a good movie will please fans, maximize profit, and increase revenue for future Star Wars films. A bad Star Wars Episode 7, with a so-so plot, uneven acting, and not a very good film won't maximize profit, it will turn off already alienated fans, and decrease potential revenue for future Star Wars films. Don't expect to see Justin Bieber, Mickey Mouse, and Harrison Ford pop in for a sing-along in the middle of the film :thumbup:

I wish I had faith in the big Hollywood establishment doing something right, but...I don't. I think Disney just wants to cash in on the massive established fanbase. Look at Pixar, their movies have gotten crappier as the merchandising machine has ramped up, and I know they're just dying to take over the Star Wars merchandise fortune. In the face of that kind of money, I don't buy the hands-off claim for a second.

At least Lucas doesn't have full and unopposed control anymore. He was at his best when his stupider ideas were being tempered by his directors and other colleagues. With the prequels he was already so famous and influential that nobody had the guts to tell him Jar Jar was a movie-ruining idea.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I wish I had faith in the big Hollywood establishment doing something right, but...I don't. I think Disney just wants to cash in on the massive established fanbase. Look at Pixar, their movies have gotten crappier as the merchandising machine has ramped up

Pixar has made some pretty darn good movies of late. Some are blatant money grabs.....others are masterful story telling. That appeal to the young and the old.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, you know how it goes according to Ben Affleck: first you do the safe movie, the one that makes you money and cements your reputation with the studios; then you do the art movie, the one that makes you the critics' darling; then you do the payback movie because your friend says you owe him.
And let's not talk about Reindeer Games because that would be just mean.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
A new trailer has just been released:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There were some rumors that flux pavilion will be doing some work on the musical score...I really hope that happens.

I know a lot of those expanded universe books are going to get destroyed when this comes out. I feel sorry for those writers.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
As much as the Extended Universe was mostly ascended fanon some of it was actually quite good. Some of it was bat :censored: crazy, but some of it was good. One thing you have to say is the people in that timeline were good at getting things done. By this point in the old EU they'd dismantled the remains of the empire, rebuilt the republic, were retraining a jedi order, killed the emperor a few more times and repelled an alien invasion from beyond the galaxy. By the looks of the trailer, the empire is still there and there's more sith around than there was when we left. has no-one done anything for the past 2 decades?

Love that crashed star destroyer though. Not sure if it should still be intact like that...

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
It looks like a stalemate to me. The empire, or whatever is left of it, probably put on some flashy gunboat campaigns that failed big time...that giant spaceship during the chase scene if probably evidence. Do to the political nature of modern times, were probably going to see less of empire vs rebels but more of people vs government...maybe the rebels are also bad in this one.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Actually the Empire is revived and is headed by the son-in-law of Han and Leia. That's a thing I like about Star Wars, even if you win at Endor you're just a spoke on the wheel, the wheel's going to keep on turning. Conflict is always there and will always be there.

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
The one thing I hate about Star Wars and most pop scifi is the presence of large transgalactic empires. What benefits would a planet recieve by joining such an organization.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The one thing I hate about Star Wars and most pop scifi is the presence of large transgalactic empires. What benefits would a planet recieve by joining such an organization.
Protection?

In the case of the Star Wars Galactic Empire, the "benefit" that a planet receives by joining the organization is not being wiped out by that organization.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

With cheap and fast interstellar travel you should rather look at galaxy as a single planet and different parts of it exchanging resources/commodities/technology.

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Protection?

In the case of the Star Wars Galactic Empire, the "benefit" that a planet receives by joining the organization is not being wiped out by that organization.

Still doesn't explain how would the galactic empire form in the first place.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you guys are all getting so hyped up about the next movies. You're just gonna poop on them when they're released.

It just won't seem as magical as it did when you watched them for the first time when you were kids.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Still doesn't explain how would the galactic empire form in the first place.
Why did human tribes unite to form larger units in the first place? There are intrinsic benefits to being part of a larger group.