Project New Shuttle

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ive started modelling a new shuttle, and its sorta turned into another project :p its basically ESAs answer to the original shuttle, be it slightly bigger. i intend it to be a fictional "replacement" for the shuttle (or ESAs way of cashing in i suppose), combining elements of the Buran and of the STS craft, splicing in some of my own imagination and slapping some simple code into it

so far, ive got the main bulk of the fuselage, and the outline of the cargo bay (its rough shape) done, next ill work on the back end to make it less flat (which is no good for aerodynamics) and get the exhausts on

in the first picture, the shuttle itself is in the middle, the stock Atlantis is on the left, and my first poor attmept is on the right (good for salvaging the wings, exhausts and any other bit i find useful)
picture.php

picture.php

now i just need to work on the payload bay a little and perhaps start working on the front section (it will be a pain in sketchup) then give another update;
in the meantime, and name ideas? ive had no good ideas for a name

thanks guys

Ross

Reaction score
How about Albatross?

It is a goofy looking bird but very majestic :)
And there are a lot of references to the Albatross in pop culture (Monty Python, Pink Floyd, etc...)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How about Albatross?
Already done in Space Tankers:

SpaceTankers_1.jpg

"АЛЬБАТРОС" read phonetically is ALBATROS.

It doesn't really matter though. No copyrights or anything, and it is a great name for a spaceplane. :)

Ross

Reaction score
Oh right! Haha dangit! I should have remembered that too...

By the way thanks Izack for the profile picture (i got if from the demotivators topic...hahaha). I hope you don't mind I'm using it.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
By the way thanks Izack for the profile picture (i got if from the demotivators topic...hahaha). I hope you don't mind I'm using it.
I knew I recognised it from somewhere! :rofl:
Well, anything I post here is free for anyone to use, so it's dandy. :)

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice !!
Looking forward to seeing what the finished product looks like.
Will this be a vertical lift-off vehicle with boosters ?

As for a name, "New Horizon" sounds kinda cool in lue of end of the space shuttle program.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
it will be a replacement for the STS fleet, so it needs another launch vehicle to get it to orbit (personally i'll use an energia)

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

ok, ive managed to model the front section, and put in some engines, and worked on the rear end a little. still need a name though

some technical stuff:
the engines dont require a pitch offset for burns, since they are pointed in the Z- direction, the torques are balanced between the upper engine and the lower engines.
the aerodynamic model will be roughly the same as atlantis, but perhaps with some tweaks later on.
there will only be two animations at first: gear and combined bay, radiators and docking port animation for simplicity
the cargo bay is bigger in all dimensions than the Atlantis, so you can bring any old STS payload along with you
i imagine implementing URMS, theres some room to mount two (Buran stule, yea!) RMSs on either side of the docking port, but since its URMS, theres nothing stopping you putting it on any old wall

ive also done the docking port, i think it will be animated, so the port rises upwards, to extend just above the top of the craft, to allow more room inside the front of the bay to act as a hab section, allowing the crew to stay between station and earth for longer, meaning they can perform longer cruise phases for orbital syncing etc.

theres also some radiators (STS style obviously) and im going to work in some elevons and rudder surfaces. dont worry, theres more detail to come

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

please let me know what you think, and any name ideas, put them forward.

before i finish now, you guys should know that this will be a spacecraft3 vessel for at least the first release

thanks guys

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Like the design although I think the wings look a bit flimsy compared to the mass of the body of the hull itself; feels like the wings need some more volume/mass to them to match the hull.
Can't wait to see the finished product though.

Will this be UMMU compatible ?

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
So far, the design of the tail and the nose section remind me of a dolphin. You could call it that. I don't know if that's exactly "majestic". :)

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i agree about the wings, i can fix that easily, and i need to tweak the tail anyway, but the nose does look like a dolphin, my brother said that before, perhaps i can do something about that like putting in windows and RCS exhausts... you dont see them on dolphins

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I live in Toulouse, France, home of Airbus. The company uses Belugas to carry Airbus parts. I often see those planes in final approach phase, and each time I look at them I wonder : "how can those things fly, at such a slow speed, with such a shape ?".

But they fly ! Aerodynamics is not a matter of esthetism ! :lol:

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If it's going to be an ESA ship, you could name it after some of Europe's greatest heroes. Galileo is taken, but you could repeat. Voltaire, ditto. Curie. Turing. Einstein. Hawking. DaVinci.
Of course you could name it after the most heroic Europeans of all - FC Barcelona.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Of course you could name it after the most heroic Europeans of all - FC Barcelona.

*cough* *cough* *cough*

If the Barcelona management goes on like that, it is the FC SEAT in 2 years. 58% of the clubs finances are debts, hardly heroic. And Real Madrid is also the more successful team in the Champions League - with much more debts for buying much more expensive players (This season 75 million for buying players and only 11 million for selling them - with such a statistic you wouldn't get much love in Germany).

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
Surely if it is being launched by Energia, there is no need for the big main Engines on the aft end of the Orbiter, exactly like Buran?

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Back to the shuttle... im sure the dolphin shape has some aerodynamic quality, due to the real life applications

Good idea with the names, ill give it some thought

Thnks guys

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Surely if it is being launched by Energia, there is no need for the big main Engines on the aft end of the Orbiter, exactly like Buran?

This thing will probably weigh 40% more than the Atlantis, so the energia may need a bit of a boost. But it also increases the thrust, making it easier to pilot. Im thinking about 300-400k of thrust? Ill tune it later but it is designed to pack a punch

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Then you'l need fuel.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
and it still has fuel, the section between the back of the payload bay and the back of the fuselage would house one large central fuel tank, as well as oxidiser and life support stuff, and there would be fuel tanks inside the base of either wing if i decide that this thing needs a lot of juice