Science New Scientist article on "Clever Fools"

bloodtoes

Reaction score
o.0 easy..
I suppose it would be easy to trip up if the questions were relayed in a different context.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Maybe experience helps, too, not just IQ ... I was well under Urwumpe's limitation. Also helps to RTFQ ... thoroughly.

Hey, SiberianTiger ... I wonder if anybody else here took the Marshmallow test?

Try this article to help explain why most people might have missed the questions:

http://www.thestar.com/atkinsonseri...-a-simple-marshmallow-can-predict-your-future

Honestly I would take a marshmallow now. I don't have time to wait 15min for a second. 15min > 1 marshmallow.

Keatah

Reaction score
1st question

why is the bat $1.05 and ball $0.05? Shouldn't the bat be 1.00 and the ball be 0.10 ??

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
why is the bat $1.05 and ball $0.05? Shouldn't the bat be 1.00 and the ball be 0.10 ??
ball+$1=bat, right? So, 0.10+1=1.10, not 1.00.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The first two were very easy IMHO. 1 is obviously an algebra problem and 2 is also an algebra problem if you formulate it that way in your head (which I did). The third had me going for a second until I started at the end, and from there it hit me. :p

Also, let's not answer the questions here in the forum so people can have some challenge when doing them. :)

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
The third is also an algebra problem. A fairly simple one too

I read the questions too quickly, was dissatisfied with the answers, reread the questions and got 2/3 of them right. Number 2 caught me up... those questions always catch me.

On Edit: Here's a hint about the third question, pretend the lake has infinite volume because you're not solving for the area it covers, but the time it would take for it to cover half the lake. You're solving a rate question. You could figure out an x,y relationship and then do the algebra.

One more hint: you have to solve using logs.

One final hint: or just think about it logically.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
1) A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

The ball costs $0.10, the bat costs $1.00, the total together is $1.10 right? That is my answer.

The article says the ball costs $0.05 - that does not make sense..?!?!?

The other two questions I got nearly instantly correct, the first one doesn't compute..and I'm an accomplished xr-2 pilot and real-life engineer! What gives??!?!?!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
1) A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

The ball costs $0.10, the bat costs $1.00, the total together is $1.10 right? That is my answer.
If you're serious about it:
ball+bat=1.10
By the problem, bat=(ball+1.00)
So, ball+(ball+1.00)=1.10
You're saying: 0.10+(0.10+1.00)=1.10, which is not correct.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score

The article says the ball costs $0.05 - that does not make sense..?!?!?

The other two questions I got nearly instantly correct, the first one doesn't compute..and I'm an accomplished xr-2 pilot and real-life engineer! What gives??!?!?!

Okay so let's use latex!
We know that the bat, x, and the ball, y, equal $1.10
[math] x+y=1.10 [/math]We also know that the bat costs $1.00 more than the ball
[math] x=1+y [/math]Putting this back into the equation, we get:
[math] 1.10=1+y+y [/math]Simplified:
[math] 1.10=1+2y [/math]
Now just do the algebra:

Subtract $1 from each side
[math] .10=2y [/math]Divide by 2
[math] y=.05 [/math]

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
guys, your math skills may be great, but you really suck at explaining things in a simple way :rofl:
(just kidding here, I guess you could have explained it easier if you wanted to...)

So let's see: The bat has to be one dollar more expensive than the ball. If the ball is 0.1$ and the bat is 1$, the bat is only 90 cent more expensive than the ball :p

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
guys, your math skills may be great, but you really suck at explaining things in a simple way :rofl:
(just kidding here, I guess you could have explained it easier if you wanted to...)

So let's see: The bat has to be one dollar more expensive than the ball. If the ball is 0.1$ and the bat is 1$, the bat is only 90 cent more expensive than the ball :p

You should see a proof of number three then. It makes even less sense then the easy explanation.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
I didn't even give the second question my full attention. All that I can remember is that I could never understand the concept of "man-hours" in school. I'm not really sure why...I think I'll review it.