Advanced Question New Mars Hi Res

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Hi there,

Following the installation directions, I have installed the new Mars hires textures in the Texture/Mars/Archive folder and made the changes to the Mars.cfg but I do not see any changes in the Mars surface.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this. Is there anything else to do to get them to work?

Thank you.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
but I do not see any changes in the Mars surface.

Is this a subjective impression, or based on an actual comparison of screenshots?

Did you compare an area that is covered by HRSC level-4 data? A good overview of the HRSC level-4 coverage (although slightly out of date) is on the i-Mars front page. The gaps in the coverage are still filled with MOC/MOLA data, so you wouldn't see any difference there other than a slightly altered colour balance.

The only possible reason for this behaviour I can think of is if you previously extracted the contents of the old archive file into the cache (with texpack -e) and set the quadtree search preferences to cache or cache+archive (although in the latter case you would still get the new tile versions for the highest resolutions not covered in the old quadtree).

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Hi there,

1. What is the MD-5 check?

2. The area I am looking at is directly around Olympus base and proceeding over towards Olympus Mons and beyond to the left in the canyon areas. Altitudes 500 to 2000 meters.

3. When I look at the New Mars Hires youtube video, I see nothing like that terrain definition.

4. Is the New Mars Hires compatible with Mars/Moon Microtextures? When I install them via JSGME, the microtextures work just fine with the older Hires textures.

Thanks

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Hi there,

1. What is the MD-5 check?
From this page
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/mirrors/orbiter_radio/tex_mirror.html

you can (for example) see that Earths Surf.tree file has an MD5 value of 564ff394fda164976a854e3ab8a1e6f4.

This is a hash, a unique signature for that one file.
If you get the same value, your downloaded file is not corrupt and you're sure it's identical to the one on the server, i.e. your download hasn't gone bad.

How do you check this, I hear you asking...
Just download any of the gazillion softwares that perform MD5 checks (I use this one http://www.winmd5.com/), and check your file against the original MD5.

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Thanks Ripley.

I will check the downloaded files.

And answers to my other questions?

2. The area I am looking at is directly around Olympus base and proceeding over towards Olympus Mons and beyond to the left in the canyon areas. Altitudes 500 to 2000 meters and up to 45,000 m.

3. When I look at the New Mars Hires youtube video, I see nothing like that terrain definition.

4. Is the New Mars Hires compatible with Mars/Moon Microtextures? When I install them via JSGME, the microtextures work just fine with the older Hires textures.

Thanks

Attachments

• screenshot. (1).png
    screenshot. (1).png
    260.2 KB · Views: 23
  • screenshot. (2).png
    screenshot. (2).png
    295.6 KB · Views: 17
  • screenshot. (3).png
    screenshot. (3).png
    259.6 KB · Views: 14
  • screenshot. (4).png
    screenshot. (4).png
    185 KB · Views: 19
  • screenshot..jpg
    screenshot..jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You are using these new textures with Orbiter 2016 right and not Orbiter 2010-P1? And you have checked that the Surface elevation checkbox on the Visual effects tab is checked?

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Yes.

Surface elevation box is checked and it is Orbiter 2016. MD5 Checksum matches the files I downloaded.

1. Is there some particular altitude that shows the hires textures?

2. Strangely, my last screen shot shows the same ground only more textured. I don't know what I did to get this.

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
The screenshots all seem to feature the area around Olympus base (south of Olympus Mons) which is fairly featureless, and is also not densely covered with HRSC data, so it's really difficult to draw any conclusions from these.

You said you compared with the imagery in the youtube clip, so could you post some screenshots of the areas featured in that clip? (Valles Marineris, Noctis Labyrinthus, or Hebes Chasma are good candidates). You could for example try to recreate this view.

Before taking the screenshot, could you wait a few minutes without changing the camera angle, just to make sure that the tile loader thread has finished loading the quadtree (in case something on your system is slowing down the tile loading process).

Make sure that the Tile resolution bias (for inline client) or Texture bias (for D3D9 client) is at least at a neutral setting, maybe even slightly positive.

If you are using the inline client, you can also enable the "Render statistics" display on the info bar (right click on main menu) to see how many surface tiles are loaded for a scene (I don't think this feature will work for the D3D9 client).

Yes.

Surface elevation box is checked and it is Orbiter 2016. MD5 Checksum matches the files I downloaded.

1. Is there some particular altitude that shows the hires textures?

2. Strangely, my last screen shot shows the same ground only more textured. I don't know what I did to get this.

1. No, but obviously the render resolution does depend on camera distance from the surface.

2. This actually doesn't look like MOC or HRSC at all. It's more like the THEMIS IR data that was used to enhance the contrast in the old Mars textures. Are you sure you are not mixing the two texture sets somehow?

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you are using the inline client, you can also enable the "Render statistics" display on the info bar (right click on main menu) to see how many surface tiles are loaded for a scene (I don't think this feature will work for the D3D9 client).
...no D3D9Client does not provide information to this (*).
[CTRL]+[Shift]+[C] is the D3D9Clients equivalent for this :p

(*) ...let's see if I can find out myself how this could be provided by D3D9Client, too