OHM New Horizons Pluto Encounter

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
How soon do you figure the texture wizards can apply the New Horizons imagery to the Pluto mesh? All the buzz around the project is pretty awesome (I think so anyway).

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
first of all thanks to boogabooga because this is exactly what I was looking for, amazing job. I was thinking that to solve the hole on the centaur issue you can add a white dish mesh to it? you can draw the mesh and add it as a secondary payload that will never be jettisoned or you can add it with meshwizard.

Second point: for some reason I don't understand the texture NH_zinc02.dds is said to be missing. I get a CTD when I open the launch scenario with D3D9 client, so I open it with inline client and in the orbiter log I find this:
Code:
>>> ERROR: Missing texture: NH_zinc02.dds
>>> [TextureManager::AcquireTexture | .\Texture.cpp | 750]

I double checked everything! the call in the NewHorizons mesh is
Code:
TEXTURES 5
NH_usflag.dds
NH_dcs.dds
NH_PLATE.dds
NH_zinc02.dds
NH_foil2.dds

and the file NH_zinc02.dds is present in the Textures folder. Does anybody have any idea of how can this be possible? any symbolic link missing or anything?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
"How soon do you figure the texture wizards can apply the New Horizons imagery to the Pluto mesh? "

Once NASA releases a map, it's relatively simple to put it in Orbiter.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
@Fred18

I don't know anything about NH_zinc02.dds. :blink:

What happens if you load BrianJ's flyby scenario only?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
@Fred18

I don't know anything about NH_zinc02.dds. :blink:

What happens if you load BrianJ's flyby scenario only?

Same thing: the NH_zinc02.dds is a New Horizons mesh texture. The thing I don't understand is why this happens since the file is exactly where it is supposed to be :shrug:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Hey fred18,

I know you are busy but while you are here, I wanted to say that I enjoy using: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=31886 with the New Horizons mission.

Have you thought about putting some of the hard-coded configuration settings as user-specified? I want to try to trim down the network a bit. At 30AU, I have no need for TDRS, for example. :p

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey fred18,

I know you are busy but while you are here, I wanted to say that I enjoy using: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=31886 with the New Horizons mission.

Have you thought about putting some of the hard-coded configuration settings as user-specified? I want to try to trim down the network a bit. At 30AU, I have no need for TDRS, for example. :p

I'm happy you're enjoying it! :)

I want to release an update of that when I'll have some time and to add more setup options for sure... In the meantime I was thinking that if you don't want the TDRS you can put 0 to the relevant N parameter, right?

Anyway as soon as i'm finished with the rest I'll take this back for updating :thumbup:

Voyager_VI

Sailor Tim
Reaction score
Exactly what I did Fred18, cleaned out everything except the three DSN. Had to do a little lat/long tickling to get it to set right on top of Solarliners Canberra DSN addon. Also do some tinkering with Earth_1975 for meshes to the other two DSN.

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

What I'd like to see and am trying to figure out how to construct it...a "vessel" of each DSN with a tracking dish. Inside the "vessel" a command panel much like what Dans Delta IV glider has for the AE35 antennae. Tie the interface to include data like Fred18's Space Network plugin.

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
I have successfully completed mission with boogabooga's scenario.

Jupiter flyby(March 1 2007)
WrIwSR3.png

Pluto encounter(August 26 2015)
EoU1xkl.png

I found a possible bug. New Horizons seems to have no fuel after separation from Star48. I had to manually refuel the craft using scenario editor.

Overall the mission went pretty smoothly. The spin was a little bit annoying but not a big problem. Thanks to everyone who made this happen:tiphat:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Good job Nikogori!

Did you use TransX or IMFD?

I tried with IMFD, but as with earth, the large moon makes Pluto very difficult to target, so I flew to Jupiter with IMFD and Pluto with TransX.

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Did you use TransX or IMFD?

I always choose TransX for slingshot.
GOOEHyz.png

TJI burn - TransX
MCC(Earth-Jupiter) - TransX
Inside Jupiter's SoI - both TransX and IMFD's map program
MCC(Jupiter-Pluto) - TransX
MCC(near Pluto's SoI) - IMFD's map program

TransX is sometimes unreliable but satisfyingly accurate for interplanetary travel.
I think there is not much difference between this and Voyager mission...TransX is useful for the most part of the flight.

cristiapi

Reaction score
I didn't say a word. :)
I'm just asking because I think that it could be more interesting to start the journey after the last TCM before Jupiter flyby (say 2006-03-10) and Pluto flyby (say 2010-08-01).

Using my best integrator (just an RK8) and the correct planets state, I get:
2007-02-28 05:49:22.0 UTC, Dmin= 2303479170 m for Jupiter C/A and
2015-07-14 11:36:11.8 UTC, Dmin= 18098067 m for Pluto.

The result is not perfect, but as you can see, if we skip the TCMs and we use a good simulation of the Solar System, we have much more fun! :)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I released a Global Level 8 Pluto map ( [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6812"]Pluto Level 8 global map[/ame] ) .

Yet Pluto, as defined on "Pluto and Moons" by piper is not presenting the correct side during approach (or in relation to Charon).
I guess that could be fixed on pluto.cfg, along with updated size, mass and atmosphere. But I'll leave it for others, it's really not my thing.

Just mentioning this before you guys start posting about it :thumbup:

When NASA releases a Charon map, expect a similar update!

cristiapi

Reaction score
I released a Global Level 8 Pluto map ( Pluto Level 8 global map ) .

Good! :thumbup:
Do you plan to add a fictional texture to avoid the "blurred" part of your texture?

Yet Pluto, as defined on "Pluto and Moons" by piper is not presenting the correct side during approach (or in relation to Charon).
I guess that could be fixed on pluto.cfg, [...]

Yes. For example, using your texture and Pluto.cfg included in my addon (CeBoMo) I see Pluto exactly as showed in NASA's Eyes.

When NASA releases a Charon map, expect a similar update!

Thank you.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
cristiapi, I'll not add fictional details.
The idea is just to have the NASA map on a format we can all use.
I usually add a neutral color to the areas not imaged, since that looks nicer in Orbiter.

NASA will eventually update the map to cover the missing parts, so... let's wait!

Great that it works with your CeBoMo addon.
I haven't tried it because it looks too complex for my needs
But I have no doubts your parameters will be spot on though !

So can I add that the map is compatible with CeBoMo on the description ? :yes:
Could you share your pluto.cfg so that I could try to tweak "Pluto and Moons" ?

cristiapi

Reaction score
cristiapi, I'll not add fictional details.
The idea is just to have the NASA map on a format we can all use.
I usually add a neutral color to the areas not imaged, since that looks nicer in Orbiter.

NASA will eventually update the map to cover the missing parts, so... let's wait!

The problem with Pluto is that we probably will never get the dark side with a sufficient level of detail.

Great that it works with your CeBoMo addon.
I haven't tried it because it looks too complex for my needs

Too complex? No... :) Maybe it's just too big.

So can I add that the map is compatible with CeBoMo on the description ? :yes:

Sure! :thumbup:

Could you share your pluto.cfg so that I could try to tweak "Pluto and Moons" ?

The key parameters for Pluto:

; === Rotation Elements ===
SidRotPeriod = 551856.70656000 ; sec (6.3872304 days)
Obliquity = 1.97 ; rad
SidRotOffset = 2.46 ; rad. CHARON_SidRotOffset - pi
LAN = 0.83 ; rad (47.555 deg)

and for Charon:

; === Rotation Elements ===
SidRotPeriod = 551856.70656000 ; sec (6.3872304 days)
SidRotOffset = 5.60159265358979323846 ; rad. pi + PLUTO_SidRotOffset
Obliquity = 1.97 ; rad.
LAN = 0.83 ; rad (47.555 deg) same as Pluto

With those parameters also the mutual spin-orbit synchronism of Pluto and Charon will be accurately simulated.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
@cristiapi

This is a quote from Piper's readme:

Due to the limitations of putting elements into Orbiter, there is an issue with the orbital period for Nix and Hydra. In real-life, the two moons orbit the combined mass of Pluto+Charon, however in Orbiter they can only orbit around the mass of Pluto, and their orbital period is calculated as such. Because of this, the orbit slower then they would in real-life, so while the shape of their orbits are correct, their positions are not.

Does CeBoMo fix this problem?