Project New features for BurnTimeCalcMFD (BTC)

xx979xx

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I downloaded and tried Orbiter 2016 recently, and I like it so far. However, I found that the tools are limited which require a lot of guess work and experience to achieve different orbital manuver goals. Using BurnTimeCalcMFD improve things, thanks to its developers, but still there is more work to be done to make things easier, precise and predictable.
So, I added new features to BurnTimeCalcMFD (BTC) which currently only works in periapsis and apoapsis mode:
  • Calculate and Display the change in the Orbital Period for given Delta-v.
  • Calculate and Display the max Radial distance change "Altitude" for given Delta-v.
BTC1.png

- Calculate Delta-v require to achive targeted Altitude change.
BTC2.png

- Calculate Delta-v require to achive targeted change in the Orbital Period.
BTC3.png

This poject is under development for the following feature:
  • enable the new features to work in the manual mode where user can choose any point in orbit to exeute the burn. I have to figure out the equation for the relation between the Semi-major axis (a), the radius (r) and the orbital velocity (v), I will appreacate any help!!.
  • debug the code and veriy it is working as intended.
download is in the attachments section.
Also, I am open to any suggestion or idea, I am thinking about some UI cleanup and removing some info that is easily accessible via information window. What do you think?
I hope to hear from the developers as well and this post is my mean to achieve that.

Attachments

• BurnTimeCalcMFD-test.zip
    504.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

xx979xx

Reaction score
I am giving up on manual mode calculation, I couldn't find a formula to solve for the new semi-major axis and eccentricity after a pro/retrograde burn at any given point other than periapsis and apoapsis. I will happely revisit this issue if someone could provide a solution.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I am giving up on manual mode calculation, I couldn't find a formula to solve for the new semi-major axis and eccentricity after a pro/retrograde burn at any given point other than periapsis and apoapsis. I will happely revisit this issue if someone could provide a solution.
v² = k(2/r - 1/a) where v = velocity at distance r, k = GM (gravitational constant x mass of the body), r = distance and a = semi-major axis.
Same equation for elliptical and hyperbolic orbits.
Solve for (a) given a certain change in velocity at a certain distance r.

Of course, in order to get an accurate result, you'll also need to take into account the burn-time, so things aren't completely straightforward.

In any case, below are a couple of useful links:
Equations for Elliptical, Parabolic, Hyperbolic Orbits
Basics of Space Flight: Orbital Mechanics

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Hey,

Thanks for notifying me. I'm happy with you either completely taking over the project, or if you wish me to accept a code contribution via SourceForge, I'll prepare it as a release package, as I used to do, I'd have time for this as well. I'd rather do it though after you're done with experimenting.

Last edited:

xx979xx

Reaction score
It is seems working nicely now ( files updated in the original post)
Of course, in order to get an accurate result, you'll also need to take into account the burn-time, so things aren't completely straightforward.
Exactly, I want it to be very precise calculation.
However, I found this equation to solve for the new (e) but could'nt see how it was derived. I will give it a try.

Last edited:

xx979xx

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for notifying me. I'm happy with you either completely taking over the project, or if you wish me to accept a code contribution via SourceForge, prepare it as a release package, as I used to do, I'd have time for this as well. I'd rather do it though after you're done with experimenting.
thank you very much, It's a great honor. However, I prefer to make contribution via SourceForge this time.

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Alright. I'll pour some Cola on the rusty build system in my VM soon, so that we retain the backward compatibility and stuff.

What's your SF.net user name?

Last edited:

xx979xx

Reaction score
What's your SF.net user name?
I just setup an acount with the same user name: xx979xx. This is my first time using SourceForge. However, I already uploaded the code to my github account (same user name).

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
I don't use GitHub for my Orbiter projects just yet. I wanted to add you as a contributor to SF.net
[EDIT] You're in.

xx979xx

Reaction score
I don't use GitHub for my Orbiter projects just yet. I wanted to add you as a contributor to SF.net
[EDIT] You're in.

I am having a hard time cloning the repo, I do not know what is wrong
PS C:\Users\xx979xx\Documents> git clone ssh://[email protected]/p/enjomitchsorbit/codeHG enjomitchsorbit-codeHG
Cloning into 'enjomitchsorbit-codeHG'...
([email protected]) Password:

Welcome to hg.code.sf.net

This is a restricted Shell Account
You cannot execute anything here.

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
See here.

The command is:
hg clone ssh:///[email protected]/p/enjomitchsorbit/codeHG enjomitchsorbit-codeHG

I use Mercurial there (Download TortoiseHG), which is similar enough to Git.

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
I replied there in the discussion section of the "merge request".

It would seem to me, that you removed 2 features to get your in. Can you try to have both, by simply moving mine or your parts to a next button page?

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
@Urwumpe kindly tested out the latest version of the module. Here's what he said:

[IMG alt="Urwumpe"]https://cdn.orbiter-forum.com/data/avatars/s/0/115.jpg?1597316877[/IMG]
Urwumpe:
The button labels do not align with the buttons.
Today at 5:59 PM