RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Elon Musk appeared on the U.S. news show "60 minutes" on Sunday:

SpaceX: Entrepreneur's race to space.
March 18, 2012 4:44 PM
From PayPal to electric cars to rockets, billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk wants his company, SpaceX, to build America's next manned spacecraft. Scott Pelley reports.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50121782n

Bob Clark

He was also interviewed on a BBC radio program where he states that eventually, after perhaps a decade of regular flights, the price for a round trip ticket to Mars might be down to $500,000 per person:

20 March 2012 Last updated at 19:25 ET
Jonathan Amos, Science correspondent.
Mars for the 'average person'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17439490

Bob Clark

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASASpaceflight: NASA Advisory Council: Select a Human Exploration Destination ASAP:
The NASA Advisory Council (NAC) – a body that provides the NASA Administrator with counsel and advice on programs and issues of importance to the Agency – has insisted a human exploration plan, or at least a destination, should be selected as soon as possible. The call comes just weeks ahead of the greatly anticipated “180 Day Exploration Destination Report”.

{...}

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
The stuff on NSF about the BEO vehicle concepts really did get me quite excited.

Now, possibly a silly question here, but, the DSH would be parked in an L-point, and picked up by the crew. Would they enter directly back to Earth, or park back in the L-point? If they are going for direct reentry, then why not just park the DSH in LEO @ the ISS (or it's successor?) to await the crew?

Or will be have an outpost at an L-point, which would be used for DSH assembly?

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The stuff on NSF about the BEO vehicle concepts really did get me quite excited.

Yeah, It's great to see actual, concrete plans instead of just hopes and promises!

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I must agree, NASA seems to be making great progress with Orion and its other plans.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
SPACE.com: Plutonium Production May Avert Spacecraft Fuel Shortage:
New batches of plutonium-238 may become available to NASA starting in 2017, perhaps preventing feared shortages of this vital spacecraft fuel.

{...}

Despite the bad budget news, some restart planning and technological development are already underway, according to Carroll. And NASA is doing what it can to help the project along.

"Right now, I think there's $10 million in this year's budget and $10 million in next year's budget, which we do plan on sending to the Department of Energy to continue the efforts that we've begun," Leonard Dudzinski, a NASA program executive who deals with radioisotope power systems, said at the NETS conference.

"I'm fully confident that we will be able to continue this, and ultimately have plutonium produced in this country again in kilogram quantities, on an annual basis," he added.

The goal is to eventually produce between 3.3 pounds and 4.4 pounds (1.5 to 2 kg) of plutonium-238 per year, which should be enough to support NASA's robotic planetary science missions, Dudzinsky said.

"Now, if there were other missions that came along on the human side, then I think we would need more," he added. "But to date, those missions have not materialized."

{...}

Aviation Week: NASA Astrophysics Urged To Slim Down

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
That Orion/Delta IV combo looks pretty awesome...

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
#1 So nasa has a missing piece? They don't even know what that piece is. Whatta frakk-up!

#2 They keep changing plans so often, the first one doesn't have time to accomplish anything. This tells me, if the need to change so often, that their "plan generator division" is pretty bad. Bad because it can't come up with anything solid and able to stand the test of time.

No wonder space exploration is stuck decaying in low earth orbit. In more ways than one.