Updates NASA New Horizons Mission Updates

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Suddenly pluto looks like a cool place to have a inhabited settlement. If only fusion was perfected.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Four of the last five APODs (Astronomy Picture of the Day) have been related to New Horizons.
The excitement is palpable! :)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So does anyone know how to start a clock widget for the time of closest approach? We're two days out!

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
A yesterday's portrait of my elder daughter with her Hew Horizons mission patch and her New Horizons name-sending-aboard certificate. :thumbup:

IMG_5006_s.JPG

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I think it's the time it will be at Pluto and not when the information about it will hit Earth.

Unstung

Reaction score
3ZoedEa.png

:hmm:

Obviously their compositions are different, but I think Pluto and Mars look similar at that resolution.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Isn't it better be the King of Dwarf Planets rather than a dwarf among the regular planets?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
This is awesome. I remember the Voyager 2 encounter with Neptune in 1989 distinctly. That was back when this sort of stuff actually made it onto the TV news in a fairly complete fashion, because you couldn't get it on the internet because the internet hadn't been invented yet. I was bummed that Pluto couldn't be observed due to the orbit (I forget whether Voyager 1 or 2 made a deviation in a previous encounter that precluded the Pluto encounter).

We finally made it to Pluto! Yay! Have a trouble-free encounter New Horizons :hailprobe:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Isn't it better be the King of Dwarf Planets rather than a dwarf among the regular planets?

A paraphrased Milton quote? very appropriate, considering we are talking about the God of the underworld :lol:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[highlight][eventtimer]2015-7-14 11:49:57;%c% %ddd%/%hh%:%mm%:%ss%[/eventtimer][/highlight]​

I see your Fly-by Red Timer(tm) and raise you the ETA of New Horizons images:
[highlight][eventtimer]2015-7-14 16:47:00;%c% %ddd%/%hh%:%mm%:%ss%[/eventtimer][/highlight]​

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A paraphrased Milton quote? very appropriate, considering we are talking about the God of the underworld

Agreed, anything past Neptune in our solar system is definitively some kind of hell. A freezing one.

According to Dante, the Ninth Circle of Hell (its inner core) is completely frozen, trapping its king and master :

"Satan is waist deep in ice, weeping tears from his six eyes, and beating his six wings as if trying to escape, although the icy wind that emanates only further ensures his imprisonment (as well as that of the others in the ring). Each face has a mouth that chews on a prominent traitor." (Canto XXXIV of Divine Comedy, Inferno, by Dante Alighieri)

Gustave_Dore_Inferno34.jpg

Maybe we should not go there after all... :crystalball2:

Last edited: