Mythbusters and Moon Hoaxes

Capt. Speirs

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite, you can't tell me that anyone really believes the moon landing was a hoax. The amount of personel it would require (if it were even possible), someone, somewhere would spill the beans with physical evidence. I can't believe they are going to waist air time for this, unless it is for comic relief.

Last edited:

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The number of people who believe it is astonishingly high:
[FONT=&quot]according to a 1999 Gallup poll an inconsequential 5% of the U.S. population actually believes we never went to the Moon. (Purely coincidentally, this is the same percentage of the U.S. population estimated to be intoxicated at any given time.) [/FONT]
http://rayvillard.com/articles/MOON HOAX REV2 FINAL .htm

I'm actually surprised it's that low ...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I love Mythbusters, but I am critical of some of the methods they use on that show; they come across as not very rigorous tests to me. They are fine for myths of minor consequence, such as whether you can save yourself in a falling elevator by jumping up just before impact (false), but the moon hoax myth tests will come under heavy scrutiny. I hope they are up to the challenge.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I have a feeling they'll say it is possible to fake the video, but that we totally went there.

I agree with you Andy, a few myths they call busted far to early when an more refined test would give a positive result.

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
Actually it's just as preposterous as a lot of the stuff on Mythbusters. We just have intimate knowledge about how it actually is possible.

Capt. Speirs

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]according to a 1999 Gallup poll an inconsequential 5% of the U.S. population actually believes we never went to the Moon. (Purely coincidentally, this is the same percentage of the U.S. population estimated to be intoxicated at any given time.) [/FONT]

It is the same 5% of people that have less teeth than their carved pumkins.:rofl:

-----Posted Added-----

I have a feeling they'll say it is possible to fake the video, but that we totally went there.

I agree with you Andy, a few myths they call busted far to early when an more refined test would give a positive result.

Yeah, fake it today, with today's technology. What about technology in the 60's?

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I was one of the employees that pulled the Apollo hoax. It's time to come out with the truth. Everyone involved were in grade school, with the average age of 8.

It's time for more of us to admit the sins we committed in the 1960's.

For my participation, I humbly apologize.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Yeah, fake it today, with today's technology. What about technology in the 60's?

Traditional special effects can be surprisingly effective. But, I guess if Mythbusters does a good job, we'll see the limits of 60's technology.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Traditional special effects can be surprisingly effective. But, I guess if Mythbusters does a good job, we'll see the limits of 60's technology.

Did not work too well on 2001 - that has some of the best special effects of that time (though not THE best), but still it looks pretty different to what Apollo looks like. (Yes, I finally managed to watch it)

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I love Mythbusters, but I am critical of some of the methods they use on that show; they come across as not very rigorous tests to me. They are fine for myths of minor consequence, such as whether you can save yourself in a falling elevator by jumping up just before impact (false), but the moon hoax myth tests will come under heavy scrutiny. I hope they are up to the challenge.

Agreed. MYthbusters is a fine program to watch, highly enjoyable, but I think some people place too much emphasis on it being the be-all-and-end-all. Mythbusters word is final, I can't name any offhand but a few times I've watched it and thought to myself that they've not tested something in a particularly rigrous and scientific manner.
Then again, they do a good job considering they're a TV program aimed at a wide audience, most of whom probably wouldn't watch if it was totally scientific.

(edit) Yes I can, the Hindenburg investigation one. their scaling up wasn't particularly scientific and they also failed to recreate the interior of the "gas bag" (or whatever the proper term is) inside the ship. Still, I enjoyed the big explosion at the end.

bujin

Reaction score

5% sounds quite low, but it's still 15 million Americans! I don't call that "inconsequential"!

One of my friends keeps claiming that we never went to the moon, but I'm not sure whether he actually believes it, or he just says so to try to wind me up!

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I can't name any offhand but a few times I've watched it and thought to myself that they've not tested something in a particularly rigrous and scientific manner.
As has been said before on other forums, don't make me sic zombie Feynman on you!
http://xkcd.com/397/
I've known people who claimed to be on the fence about apollo, and in a couple cases, fervently believed we didn't go. One said he didn't want to debate it with me since he new astronomy was my strong suit.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Agreed. MYthbusters is a fine program to watch, highly enjoyable, but I think some people place too much emphasis on it being the be-all-and-end-all. Mythbusters word is final, I can't name any offhand but a few times I've watched it and thought to myself that they've not tested something in a particularly rigrous and scientific manner.
Then again, they do a good job considering they're a TV program aimed at a wide audience, most of whom probably wouldn't watch if it was totally scientific.

(edit) Yes I can, the Hindenburg investigation one. their scaling up wasn't particularly scientific and they also failed to recreate the interior of the "gas bag" (or whatever the proper term is) inside the ship. Still, I enjoyed the big explosion at the end.

Yeah, to give them credit, they do read their fan mail and at least once or twice a season they do an episode where they revisit myths already covered and try again.

And as long as they've got that hottie redhead Kari they can count on my continued viewership.

-----Posted Added-----

Okay, I just watched it, and I have to say I'm pretty happy witht he way they handled it. The waving flag myth, the speed-up-film-moonwalk myth, two of the main photo myths, the bootprint myth. I think I'm missing one or two, but they covered a lot of ground and it's apparent they spent a lot of money to do the tests. Vaccuum chamber, low-G trapeze, and even a private vomit comet ride on a 727, which was VERY impressive. It really looked like Adam was on the moon.

Nice job to the MB.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Personally, being one who's watched the show faithfully since day one, I more or less suspected that they would treat it as they did, and fully bust every myth. Sure they're not the consummate scientists, and some of their methods leave a bit to be desired, but, they do have a budget to work within, and, generally, they're testing goofy myths like Mentos and Diet Pepsi. In this particular case, they seemed to tackle the myths that they did with sufficient scientific methods, and, as I suspected, busted ever one completely.

W35M4N

Unregistered Non-User
Reaction score
Mythbusters is by far one of my favourite shows on right now (well, a favourite non-comedy show) and I am happy that thye are doing this, it won't convince everyone but I hope some people drop it because it is such an idiotic theory when they actually get into explaining how it was faked.

"And as long as they've got that hottie redhead Kari they can count on my continued viewership."

I agree.

Hashy

Reaction score

I wonder if the % of the population which consciously lies to every question is the same? ;)

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that at the beginning of the show Adam and Jamie said the figure of hoax believers was 20%?

W35M4N

Unregistered Non-User
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that at the beginning of the show Adam and Jamie said the figure of hoax believers was 20%?

Wierd, maybe they got thier numbers mixed up with 9/11 conspiracy beleivers, I think that is at about 20% right now, I hope that goes down too.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I read an article by Phil Plait in the discover magazine blog that said the number was between 6 and 20%. It may be that 20% have a few doubts but only 6% are hardcore believers. It does vary widely be demographic, and it doesn't look good for the next generation. 27% of college students have serious doubts about apollo, another 10% say the landings are "highly unlikely." The state of space science education in this country is quite poor, which is really sad considering that we have some of the best educational resources in the world when it comes to space.