Misc My First Addon

SpecialKaye87

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I just completed my first addon! :woohoo:

What are the guidelines for posting new addons to orbit hanger and linking it to the forums so others can comment and enjoy it?

What documents are required to be added to the folder before I upload it?

Cheers!!! :cheers:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good for you, @SpecialKaye87

Make a zip with the top folders in the zip matching the structure in the Orbiter directory. I.e. specifically don't put the top level as MyAddon etc... as people are used to just Extracting All over the orbiter root directory and expecting files to drop into place.

If you are making your source available (please do!), then take a copy of your VC++ directory for your addon, delete the Debug, ipch, and Release subdirectories, delete the .sdf and .suo files, zip it up, and put it in Orbitersdk\samples. That way, your code will live on in 10 years time for others to pick up and add new features, etc.

SpecialKaye87

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
.............I'm um.....I don't program, I just learned how to modify some config files to make stuff do more stuff. So the last part just went waaaay over my head. I understand the first part for unziping files correctly. I made a "read-me" document that lists the description of the mod and acknowledges the original developer.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK ... ELI5 version...

If you just have config files, and no progamming, then make a set of directories and files that you want to put on top of Orbiter. For example, if you want BlahBlah.cfg to end up in the Orbiter\Config directory, then make a top directory, e.g. BlahBlah, then a Config folder underneath, then put BlahBlah.cfg in there. Once you have all the files you want to distribute, then zip up anything inside your top directory (i.e. right-mouse ... send to compressed (zipped) folder), such that the zip file doesn't have a top level BlahBlah directory in it.

Then make an account on OrbitHangar, and post it.

Better?

SpecialKaye87

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Got it. You sir....you're my Opra ;-) Thanks! It's uploaded and awaiting approval. Time for a beer! :cheers:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cool - let us know when it's approved!

SpecialKaye87

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
DONE!

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6893"]Azure Rover Upgrade[/ame]

Don't know why the pic wasn't uploaded though.