My epic space travels

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I find that hard to believe as your message was posted on OF on 3rd sept. How long ago did you compose that message to get here yesterday? Before the internet was invented? :hmm: :lol: I will send this message of goodwill to you in the hope that it may be received in the far future (I'll be long gone... :facepalm: )

:cheers:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I'm now 36,194,070,000,000 kilometers or 241,943 AU away from the sun and moving at the speed of 563,368 kilometers per second!

Cheers,
Vincent

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I'm now 243,769 AU or 36,467,222,000,000 kilometers away from the sun and moving at the speed of 548,082 kilometers per second!

Cheers,
Vincent

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I'm now 250,641 AU or 37,495,250,000,000 kilometers away from the sun and moving at the speed of 481,793 kilometers per second!

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Any goal for this? Perhaps a "get back to Earth" challenge?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you've been running the simulation for over a year straight with never shutting your computer down, then the cost of power for this has probably exceeded 350 US dollars.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
If you are not interested in this topic, then don't read or post in this thread. Simple.

The goals for this are no less than anyone else here engaged in imaginary spaceflight. :rolleyes:
Anyone here who suggest that running an Orbiter simulation is a waste of resources is a huge hypocrite, IMHO.

If the starter of the thread wants to share their Orbiter experiences, this is the place to do it, and I think that they should feel welcome.

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
If you are not interested in this topic, then don't read or post in this thread. Simple.
No personal offense intended here, at least by me.

The goals for this are no less than anyone else here engaged in imaginary spaceflight. :rolleyes:
Disputable. Everyone is free to spend his time in the manner he wants, obviously, but simply, there is not much challenge in go straight under constant acceleration and infinite fuel... forever. Unless your goal is to explore the extreme limits of the simulation... this makes sense, but the topic's author never stated clearly that this is the meaning of the long trip (unless I missed it).

Anyone here who suggest that running an Orbiter simulation is a waste of resources is a huge hypocrite, IMHO.
As said, it depends in some measure by the type of simulation you are running but... generally, I agree.

If the starter of the thread wants to share their Orbiter experiences, this is the place to do it, and I think that they should feel welcome.
I also agree but, if he is free to share, the other users are equally free to comment. It's a forum, not a personal diary.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Disputable. Everyone is free to spend his time in the manner he wants, obviously, but simply, there is not much challenge in go straight under constant acceleration and infinite fuel... forever. Unless your goal is to explore the extreme limits of the simulation... this makes sense, but the topic's author never stated clearly that this is the meaning of the long trip (unless I missed it).

Someone else might say there is not much challenge having a fantasy propulsion system in the first place. Someone else might say there is not much challenge in not having the possibility for collision. What you consider a challenge or not is completely arbitrary and your own opinion.

I also agree but, if he is free to share, the other users are equally free to comment. It's a forum, not a personal diary.

Only to an extent. There were a lot of us that never "got" My Little Pony, for example. However, this is O-F administration policy as it appeared in one of those threads:

O-F Staff Note: Orbiter-Forum rules allow discussion of any topic that does not violate forum rules. Therefore, this thread topic is as valid as any other thread topic on the board.

If you don't like a topic then please just ignore it. And as trolling is prohibited by O-F Rules, any additional trolling/baiting posts in this thread will be removed.

When you imply that someone's Orbiter simulation was not worth the cost of electricity, that's not really useful criticism, is it?

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Someone else might say there is not much challenge having a fantasy propulsion system in the first place. Someone else might say there is not much challenge in not having the possibility for collision. What you consider a challenge or not is completely arbitrary and your own opinion.
Just to be clear: myself sometimes use one of my rockets, simply watch the automated launch without press any button, occasionaly take some screenshot and then remain in low earth orbit only for enjoying the view. I highly appreciated Pipcard's Negi-1/HATSUNE addon and I've orbited Earth several times with it, although that addon don't give much to do. But... you know... hardly I can say that all of this is a "challenge". Oh, sure, even to switch "ON" a computer could be a "challenge" to somebody... but if we enlarge the parameters of a discussion to the infinity, the same discussion looses his sense...

But this is only a side note, you and the topic's author don't take it as a sort of flame. The base concept is always the same: when you post something on a forum, the other users has the full rights to comment and discuss it. Discussion implies that sometimes we disagree, it's normal. But Vinny5000 is totally free to make and say anything he wants. I'm also free, into the limits of the forum's rules. If I have crossed these limits, I'm sorry and I retire myself from the topic.

When you imply that someone's Orbiter simulation was not worth the cost of electricity, that's not really useful criticism, is it?
It is not. But you should debate this with the author of that statement, not me...

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This just occurred to me. Since in the Orbiter, the sun is the only star in the universe, if Vinny stopped accelerating his spacecraft, he would presumably eventually (albeit likely not for an enormous amount of time) slow down due to gravity drag and fall back into the sun, or into orbit around it, right?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...(see page 9 of that thread)...
It's better to refer to posts by their absolute number, rather than the page number, since the latter varies per user.
I, for one, don't have any 9th page there because I've chosen to show a different number of posts-per-page in my profile.

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I'm now 37,920,020,000,000 kilometers or 253,480 AU away from the sun and moving at the speed of 447,006 kilometers per second!

Cheers,
Vincent

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

Today, I started to fly the Hius interstellar spacecraft because it is made for interstellar space flight!

Cheers,
Vincent