OHM Moonbase Alpha Expansion Pack 1

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
@gattispilot
The visible docking port has ofcourse not to move, i mean the invisible value port, set in the config file. I know to less about DLL writing, but maybe you have to split the CM, that one arm or all arms are daughter vessels which carries the docking port info.

@BenSisko
Ok then futuristic, its Ok i did read yesterday somethings about the movie/story. The eagles do use "antigravity shields" which extends the normal operation range of its nuclear thermal rockets. But i guess its hard to write a DLL of having a non-fuel-consumption antigravity hover and a seperate nuclear thermal rocket. You just choosed a higher Isp, thats Ok i think. I did read that an eagle needs 48 hours for a round trip from moon to earth. But what meaning this, from moon to earth AND back or only one-way?
I will then calculate the values for the Hawk, in the paper i read that hes able to reach twices the speed of an eagle.
An eagle in your actual configuration reaches 45km/s.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@gattispilot
The visible docking port has ofcourse not to move, i mean the invisible value port, set in the config file. I know to less about DLL writing, but maybe you have to split the CM, that one arm or all arms are daughter vessels which carries the docking port info.

Not sure about visible or invisible. The docking info is all in the cfg.

I will add to the dll if docked then the arms you can open and close.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Expansion Pack 1 updated with revised docking and realistic/futuristic Isp values for the Ultra Probe.

Pale Hearse

Reaction score
Expansion Pack 1 updated with revised docking and realistic/futuristic Isp values for the Ultra Probe.

Great work on bringing this addon together.

About the Ultra Probe though... as released in the most recent vessel update, the main thrust seems either way too weak, or the vessel way too heavy. The RCS thrusters don't seem to maneuver the DM very well so UAP has difficulty, and after 15 min of main thrust burn I was only out to 3,000km.

Was this by design or is the vessel update here faulty?

Also, the command module seems to have the problem in reverse. The RCS thrusters are VERY hard to control under docking maneuvers as they tend to toss you around a bit.

Space 1999 didn't really hold to science fact.. but then it didn't need to.. it was a TV show. What you are doing is admirable.. and I understand it. The ships look so realistic that one is tempted to make them actually work to show how close science fact is to science fiction today.

That said.. you will probably have to do the same thrust fudging that was done with the eagle. Nuclear slurry or nuclear/hydrogen engines such as the Ultra Probe were supposed to have should make them very much more efficient to make the vessels more enjoyable (if less scientifically accurate) to use IMHO.

Anyway.. just my 2centavos. Great work though. It's magnificent to see a docking CM for the Ultra Probe. gattispilot is helping me with some tweaks to get me by.. but I think folks would love to have the ultra probe be a more usable vessel.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I'm independently playing with my personal sc3 Eagle version, that I have tweaked for maneuverability.

What works are RCS and mass values based on the Space Shuttle with some scaling for the Eagle's large mass.
Another tip is to set the hover X main engines in a 1:2 ratio. That allows you to go into orbit simply by maintaining the craft on an horizontal attitude :thumbup: Go "up" some kilometers, then add main thrust until you get an orbit!

Pale Hearse

Reaction score
I'm independently playing with my personal sc3 Eagle version, that I have tweaked for maneuverability.

Outstanding. Hey.. what program do you use to open the vessel configuration files? What file sets these values?

I'm still relatively new to Orbiter.. in the amount of time I have spent with it. So I don't really know how these ships are created just yet.

I would love to help tweak them as time allows but don't really know where to start.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On sc3 you can use notepad. But a DLL vessel requires source and programming skill.

Pale Hearse

Reaction score
On sc3 you can use notepad. But a DLL vessel requires source and programming skill.

I thought as much. I have done a little programming but not enough to mess with this in the near term.

Any help modifying the Eagle and Ultra Probe would be fantastic!

These are great ships conceptually.. especially the ultra probe.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
OK, spacecraft3.dll is really simple. It reads a config file that indicates parameters and things like meshes or sounds. The config is a simple .txt that you can edit. Simply download and read the documentation and examples: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3894"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3894[/ame]

Here's part of the config I'm using for the Eagle. Here thrust/hover are at a 4:3 ratio, RCS is also very high. You can simply download an old sc3 Eagle from OH and change the values. As I mentioned, this is my personal version, not intended for release, because I'm probably using meshes / sounds from other addons that I have installed.
So for it to work for you, some changes need to be made.

Code:
[CONFIG]
MESHNAME="eagle1y"
SIZE=30
EMPTY_MASS=100000
FUEL_MASS=228000
MAIN_THRUST=4e6
RETRO_THRUST=1e6
HOVER_THRUST=3e6
ATTITUDE_THRUST=4e6
ISP=2e5
TRIM=0.05
PMI=(15.5,22.1,7.7)
CW_Z_POS=0.09
CW_Z_NEG=0.09
CW_X=2.0
CW_Y=1.4
CROSS_SECTION=(53.0,186.9,25.9)
COG=3.30
PITCH_MOMENT_SCALE=0.00000
BANK_MOMENT_SCALE=0.00000
ROT_DRAG=(1.5,1.5,1.5)
WING_ASPECT=0.7
WING_EFFECTIVENESS=2.5
VISIBLE=1
CAMERA=(-1.0,0.0,16.0)
LAUNCH_PT1=(-5,-3,-5)
LAUNCH_PT2=(5,-3,-5)
LAUNCH_PT3=(0,-3,10) 
LAND_PT1=(-5,-3,-5)
LAND_PT2=(5,-3,-5)
LAND_PT3=(0,-3,10) 

[VC]
MESHNAME="eagle_pod_cockpit_16"
MFD_LEFT=73
MFD_RIGHT=74
CAMERA=(-1.0,0.0,16.0)

[DOCK_0]
POS=(0,1.95,2.4)
DIR=(0,-1,0)
ROT=(0,0,1)

[DOCK_1]
POS=(0,0.6,13)
DIR=(0,0,1)
ROT=(0,1,0)

[DOCK_2]
POS=(0,0.6,8.15)
DIR=(0,0,-1)
ROT=(0,1,0)

[DOCK_3]
POS=(0,0.6,-3.5)
DIR=(0,0,1)
ROT=(0,1,0)

[PAYLOAD_0]
MESHNAME="standard"
NAME=E-Standard
OFF=(0.0,0.0,2.25)
MASS=500
MODULE=Spacecraft/Spacecraft3
SPEED=(0,-0.3,0)
ROT_SPEED=(0.0,0,0)

[PAYLOAD_1]
MESHNAME="eagle1p"
NAME=ECockpit-S
OFF=(0.0,0.6,16)
MASS=10
MODULE=Spacecraft/Spacecraft3
SPEED=(0,0,0.2)
ROT_SPEED=(0,0,0)

[SOUND]
HOVER_THRUST="Sound\Vessel\Hover_int.wav"
AIR_CONDITIONING="Sound\Vessel\aircond.wav"
COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_1="Sound\Vessel\ambient0.wav"
COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_2="Sound\Vessel\ambient1.wav"
COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_3="Sound\Vessel\ambient2.wav"
COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_4="Sound\Vessel\ambient3.wav"
COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_5="Sound\Vessel\ambient4.wav"
RCS_THRUST_ATTACK="Sound\Vessel\liftoff.wav"
RCS_THRUST_SUSTAIN="Sound\Vessel\main_int.wav"

Pale Hearse

Reaction score
Thanks.. I'll have a look at that program.
That will likely fix my docking issue.

Kendo

Reaction score
Just getting into this. One question, can you land the Mark IX Hawk. I cant find any landing gear.?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Excellent Question. I am going to say they had no gear. My understanding was they were never to land but be docked to the Centuri

Kendo

Reaction score
O.k. Thanks. Also, regarding the Eagle, is the cockpit supposed to attach automatically when loading a scenario for the first time. The scenarios have a payload_0 section, should this attach the cockpit, or do I have to attach it manually and save it with the Scenario editor.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Which Eagle? There was one that had the ability to attach the head to the frame. But the one taht we worked on had the head as a fixed part. You could attach the module and buggy

Kendo

Reaction score
I am using KEV,s Eagle1999-S3. ( the reason is, I prefer the Eagle,s rounder framework etc). I am also using Artlavs Genericvessel.
I have got the Eagle and all the Pods in config Vessels, so I can pick from there and attach using Attachment manager. Bit confusing I know.
So, I was asking, should the cockpit be attached to the Eagle, or do I have to attach it manually as I do now.
Just wondering why the cockpit isn,t attached automatically. This is why I put them in config Vessels so I could choose that way.
I have 2 attachment points on the Eagle, one for the cockpit and the other for the Pods.
What I do is, using the Scenario editor, pick the Eagle and the Cockpit and a Pod if required, then attach them using Attachment manager, then save. The scenario then loads up fine, with everything attached.