Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I made the Jamestown Base from For all mankind
Here it is at Brighton Beach
cbhGXqT.jpg

But If I place it here I get this weird distortion
zXBijY0.jpg

BASE-V2.0 Name = Shackleton2 Location = +0.003 -89.9897 Size = 500 ObjectSize = 100 MAPOBJECTSTOSPHERE = TRUE BEGIN_NAVBEACON VOR TQLY +0.003 -89.9897 112.80 500 END_NAVBEACON BEGIN_OBJECTLIST LPAD1 POS 0 0 0 SCALE 0 ROT 90.000 TEX Lpad01 NAV 108.1 END END_OBJECTLIST

Col Brubaker

Hoax Developer
Reaction score
Thank you so much gattispilot. I could not do that such quick.

I was wondering that nobody mentioned that base from For All Mankind for Orbiter befor.
In my opinion this station is even more realistic as any other Apollo-Application stuff.
This really could had been done. It is the best implementation of AES / LESA I have ever seen.

However, gettispilot created this awesome model of the Jamestown Base, on a Skylab substructure,
while I was doing some calculations, research and several test flights with the LEM during the last 3 days.
I attempted landings somewhere near to 89,50°S at Shackleton Crater, at our moons south-pole.

We came to the conclusion, that we can't use that base, at it's intended position at Shackleton Crater,
because all polar-regions of terrestrial bodies close to 90° are no-fly-areas in OSFS.
At 90° S/N the trigonometric functions go either to 0 or infinity.
Furthermore the polygons and the textures become long shards for the same reason.

This problem can be fixed. And we know that this will not be easy, cause it is hard.
And I don't have any clue how this can be done?
But as a semi-professional Orbinaut I would suggest to install some polar-caps!
Perhaps together with a coordinate system orientated to a other spatial axis?

- We would suggest to use 3 coordinate systems in OSFS in general. Each for one of the 3 dimensions.
If one of them gets near 90° (>87°) and closer to a gimbal lock, it will get ignored and the other two
coordinate systems take over all functions. At below 87° the ignored 3rd system get restarted by the
datas from the other two coordinate systems.
- Or, two coordinate systems with each axle 45° shifted to the other.

There will be more probe landings in polar-regions at other terrestrial bodies in the near future, because of H²O.
And currently it is not possible to fly with a ~90° Inclination around the moon without geting >0.5° off course,
or even crash. Launches from nearby the pole ending up with a sudden pitch and crash.

I don't know how to do all this. I am just sure that global warming is not the cause of this phenomenons.
But as far as I know, some real vessels have 3 gyroscopes, to prevent from gimbal lock.

We would want to invite you to help to fix that issue for OSFS.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know if there are setting in D3D9 to fix this. As I understand it you really don't need to add textures.

Col Brubaker

Hoax Developer
Reaction score
It is not only the graphic issue. I persume it is an old Schweiger Code still in use?
The guidance at 90° inclination is changing the trajectory.
It is as simple as Cos 90° = 0 Whatever you multiply 0...
Even at 89,99° the result should not be used for further calculations.
One problem is the graphics. The other problem is in the "guidance computer".

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Are textures mapped in such a way that there is a singularity at the poles? Wouldn't cube mapping be a better solution?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
For reference

1660773175023.png

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I discovered an issue. If you put a ground vessel or eva person at Malpert. If the heading of the vessel is not 0 then the vessel move sideways. But if you put the same at Brighton Beach no issues.

Col Brubaker

Hoax Developer
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken NASA’s Eyes software uses such textures. Ones I tried to extract a texture of some moon from NASA’s Eyes to use it with Orbiter and it was a bummer ;)

You can see it at this Enceladus flyby 3D animation.
Either somebody call NASA. Or we hack it!

How much PSI do I need to blow up a flattened earth into a ball shaped earth?
And if yes, how much bar are this?

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Like it has been said. This is not just a texture issue. Ground vessel behave weirdly. I think I understand. As ground movement basically move the vessel LAt and Long.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I discovered an issue. If you put a ground vessel or eva person at Malpert. If the heading of the vessel is not 0 then the vessel move sideways. But if you put the same at Brighton Beach no issues.
This is a GV bug, not an Orbiter bug.
I re-used some GV code in my LWLL addon and had this issue (and others) as far north as Tycho!
If you try the rover or astronauts from my LWLL addon at Malpert, they will work fine.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@Max-Q Yes I put your eva and rover at the same location and drives/walks good. May I reuse your moving code? I mention to the guy doing UACS to do the same.
Thanks

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The issue is the graphics. The base I can build. But the surface is distorted.