Moon Flights, Need Help

vyrago

Reaction score
Hi all. I've recently delved into learning to get to and from the moon. I've had some problems, so here are my questions.

1. When loading the DG earth-moon tutorial and taking over manual control, I exected the transfer burn properly, but the program crashed when I got about 2/3 of the way to the moon. Thankfully I had a quicksave just after the burn, but it crashes at the same point each time.

2. Cant figure out how to get home from the moon using Transfer MFD. perhaps im going about it all wrong, since I realized that even while orbiting the moon, youre still technically also orbiting the earth as well?

3. Which program should I really be learning anyways? Transfer, TransX or IMFD?

thanks for any help you can provide!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
2. You can't get back from the moon via transferMFD.
3. Transfer is a basic and very easy to learn, and of very limited use. TransX vs. IMFD is a whole new book that already fills a lot of pages in various forums.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
1. Are you using Orulex by any chance? I recall there being a bug (fixed now?) in one version that would crash when leaving the Earth's sphere of influence.

2. I use IMFD for this. There is a tutorial on jarmonik's page that will help you. It is based on an older version of IMFD but you should be able to pick up the general idea. The important thing to note is what vessel/body is used as the source (SRC) in each situation.

vyrago

Reaction score
Thanks guys. No I'm not using orulex on that install. It only seems to happen with the Delta Glider. I transferred my quicksave to another install of orbiter and it didnt crash....wierd. anyways, thanks im now jumping into learning IMFD since I think its best for doing the "apollo style" Orion missions I hope to work up to.

The Aviator

Reaction score
When loading the DG earth-moon tutorial and taking over manual control, I exected the transfer burn properly, but the program crashed when I got about 2/3 of the way to the moon.

I've the same problem with NASSP 6.4.3. Every time I leave Earth SOI, the program CTD! Has anybodi experienced the same issue? And do you know how to fix it?

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
I've the same problem with NASSP 6.4.3. Every time I leave Earth SOI, the program CTD! Has anybodi experienced the same issue?

No, but there was a bug like that in older Orbiter versions if I remember correctly, so just to be sure, are you using Orbiter 060929?

Cheers
Tschachim

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I can get a reliable CTD by doing the following:
1) Enable LandMFD at the launchpad (you do not need to bring up the MFD at all in the game)
2) Select a target base on the moon
3) Leave Earth's SOI. As soon as this happens, you get a CTD.
If you have LandMFD enabled then it's most likely the cause. I've found I can fix it by either not using LandMFD, or clearing the target base before leaving the SOI.

psychotix

Reaction score
You want to time your TLI burn so that you are in a retrograde orbit when you reach the moon. The reason being is that when you do your deorbit burn your orbit relative to the moon will increase as your orbit relative to the earth decreases. Here's a diagram to help you out.

Attachments

• TLI.JPG
    TLI.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
I can get a reliable CTD by doing the following:
1) Enable LandMFD at the launchpad (you do not need to bring up the MFD at all in the game)
2) Select a target base on the moon
3) Leave Earth's SOI. As soon as this happens, you get a CTD.
If you have LandMFD enabled then it's most likely the cause. I've found I can fix it by either not using LandMFD, or clearing the target base before leaving the SOI.
I'll confirm that - LandMFD causes a CTD if you have any base selected in MapMFD as you leave Earth's SOI. It's been a while since I tested it, but I could never figure out how to deselect the base in MapMFD other than saving the scenario and manually editing it out.:blink: