Problem Modules/Scenarios Vanished

mordriel

Reaction score
I paged through the forums (probably not well enough, which is usually the case, even with the search feature xD!!), but I can't find an instance of this issue.
I installed an add-on... I wish I could remember which one, I just know it recall it being a vessel... but something happened so fast that I couldn't really see what was going on. Almost as soon as the add-on was extracted, Orbiter popped up as though I had opened it (which I didn't, at least not manually), and then shut down again. When I opened it again (I normally use D3D9 and orbiter_ng.exe, but have tried with both that and the standard executable), more than half my modules and scenarios are missing, even though they're technically still installed; I checked. It's as if Orbiter had somehow reset. o_O Even the log file is virtually clean. When this first happened, ever time I closed either Orbiter.exe or orbiter_ng, it would throw an error. Here's the log file:
**** Orbiter.log
Build Nov 5 2011 [v.111105]
Timer precision: 3.39808e-007 sec
Found 0 joystick(s)
Module AtlantisConfig.dll .... [Build 111105, API 111105]
Module AtmConfig.dll ......... [Build 111105, API 111105]
Module DGConfigurator.dll .... [Build 111105, API 111105]
Module RWarpMFD.dll .......... [Build ******, API 060425]
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> WARNING: Obsolete API function used: oapiRegisterMFDMode
At least one active module is accessing an obsolete interface function.
Addons which rely on obsolete functions may not be compatible with
future versions of Orbiter.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Module CustomMFD.dll ......... [Build 111105, API 111105]
Module OrbiterSound.dll ...... [Build 121120, API 100830]
Module JumpDriveMFD.dll ...... [Build ******, API 060425]
Module D3D9Client.dll ........ [Build 130712, API 100830]
Orbiter Version 111105
D3D9Client Build [Jul 12 2013]
Exception Code=0xC0000005, Address=0x04A39597
EAX=0x00000000 EBX=0x00000000 ECX=0x04A909AB EDX=0x00A2DB34 ESI=0x04CDBF70 EDI=0x76E25689 EBP=0x00A2F7A8 ESP=0x00A2F778 EIP=0x04A39597
C:\Users\na\Desktop\Orbiter2010\Modules\Plugin\D3D9Client.dll EntryPoint=0x04A91DBB, Base=0x04A30000, Size=1449984
Exception in clbkDestroyRenderWindow()
============================ ERROR: ===========================
Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\D3D9Client.dll (code 998)
[Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 612]
===============================================================

It actually looks like there's something that's getting flagged for being out-of-version or something. I hadn't had that issue previously. Maybe I just need to go back and install everything again? -_-;; FAIL, because that takes forever, but I'm willing to do it. ;) Also (and perhaps this should actually go in a D3D9Client thread, even though I don't think that caused the issue), when I select the D3D9 client in orbiter_ng.exe, when I launch Orbiter, it treats it as though it's not installed, even though it's checked off.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Without more information about which addon, I'm not sure what happened. It does appear that several files were deleted (include D3D9Client.dll), but this should not occur if you are just unzipping addons into the Orbiter installation.

It would probally take less work to start from clean Orbiter and reinstall rather than try to recover from whatever happened to that installation.

when I select the D3D9 client in orbiter_ng.exe, when I launch Orbiter, it treats it as though it's not installed, even though it's checked off.
This is caused by
Code:
============================ ERROR: ===========================
Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\D3D9Client.dll (code 998)
[Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 612]
================================================== =============
That means that Orbiter could not find the file D3D9Client.dll, and the absence of the file causes your issue. I'm not sure why it still appears in the module list, however.

mordriel

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply! I think I'll just do a clean install. I tend to enjoy troubleshooting, but this really baffled me. The D3D9Client file never vanished, which is even more odd. I even reinstalled the client. xD Who knows? Thank you. :D

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's a bug in this D3D9Client module that returns unexpected error and crashes Orbiter. Nothing to do with the file being present or not, just that the plugin returns errors.
And these are serious, bad errors. The last time I got this type of error was when I co-developed a ship, was working on the sound and messed up the mesh calls. I guess you didn't mess with mesh calls in ship codes nor you did actually wrote code by that time so for me I don't really understand why it is there.