Problem Modifying textures (2014 Beta)

flyer

Reaction score
Hi there again,

Firstly, thanks to the Doctor for adding in the relevant files so that I can compile the Shuttle-A in 2014 Beta. :thumbup:

I have another question now relating to modifying textures.

Looking through the source code for the Shuttle-A, in particular the new ADI instrument, I see that the displays for this are produced by copying and pasting from a texture called panel_el.dds (contained in the "\Textures\ShuttleA" folder. My understanding is that the changing numbers and words (i.e. the angles and modes) are taken from the panel_el.dds texture and then blitted (am I using that term correctly?) onto the main panel (panel2d.dds) by means of mathematically working out (or supplying the coordinates) of the relevant digits/words.

My first question (which is not really the main one) is why go to the trouble of doing that rather than using some function to directly print the relevant text onto the panel? Does this function not exist? Does this method reduce CPU load?

Anyway, onto the main question...

I have tried opening the panel_el.dds in paint.net (which works fine), adding something extra in and then saving the texture (as DXT5). Now there are alot of extra options when I save in paint.net that I do not understand and perhaps my error lies there.

The steps I take are as follows:

1 - Open the "Shuttle-A Docked at ISS" scenario and go to the 2d panel view and Image 1 shows the result
Image 1.jpg

2 - Right clicking once on the Frame dial changes the mode from "ECL" to "EQU". This is shown on the ADI display as "EQU EARTH" (see Image 2).
Image 2.jpg
So far so good...

3 - Right clicking once again on the Frame dial changes the ADI to "OV/OM" which is displayed as "OV/OM EARTH". But looking at Image 3 shows that there is something not quite right with the text.
Image 3.jpg

4 - Now left clicking twice should take us back to "ECL" frame and be the same as Image 1, but Image 4 is the result...
Image 4.jpg

As you can see, some of the text from the other modes is left on the display. This does not happen with the original panel_el.dds texture (rev 8) of the beta so I think it is something I have done when saving the modified .dds texture.

As I said I used paint.net to modify the dds file, but does anyone know if I am missing a setting when saving it? Images 5 and 6 show the options I have available. I'd be curious to know the technical reason rather than just going through each of those settings one by one to see if one of them works.

Image 5.jpg
Image 6.jpg

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this!

:thumbup:

Last edited: