model rocket to the moon (unmaned)

Hartmann

Reaction score
can it happen i dont no much about model rocketry but i no that they can do some cool things what are the chances of getting one to the moon ?

90-99,99 % with a big enough rocket and good tech...but it could cost a lot of $$$$$

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I do believe this is known as a 'guided missile'...

That's an important comment. So, for amateur rocketry like this, in most countries you'd either need to get a license, or find a suitable boat and assemble and launch the thing from international waters.

But I think if you can arrange a launch from the ISS, then getting a license should also be doable.

joshb

Reaction score
While there are some people who are either scared of those who push the boundaries or see terr'ist potential in everything, there is a common belief among the real amateur rocketry community (i.e. Armadillo Aerospace, XCOR, etc.) that a rocket, guided or not, is simply a transportation system. A missile indeed implies an engine (jet or rocket, guided or unguided) plus a warhead.

Reverend's hypothetical device is an actively guided rocket. Rockets with just fins are passively stabilized. (Active stabilized vs. active guided is a matter of semantics and context.)

Other examples:

Saturn V: actively guided rocket, no warhead, not a missile.
Tomahawk: actively guided missile (rocket booster, turbofan cruise), has a warhead

During and after WWII there were also unguided missiles.

Salamander

Orbinaut
Reaction score
During and after WWII there were also unguided missiles.

not to forget before: the chinese used unguided missiles in war before brother berthold made his invention.

Last edited by a moderator:

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Guided Rocket... Sure, but not missle. A Missle implies there is a warhead on it. Some rockets have warheads too. Also I don't believe compressed air rcs would work nearly well enough in the atmosphere to be able to guide it. guided missles change their trajectory after being launched. the rocket i described only uses RCS to align itself and start a spin. after the main motor fires the RCS does nothing.

(sorry had to delete other post)

i don't see it as guided anyway, the guidance system is never used at the same time as the rocket motor... this is more like a targetting system that uses RCS to line up for the burn. once the burn starts the rcs is completely inactive.

fins only offer stabilisation in the atmosphere, without that, we need something else, in this case the rcs is used to get a fast spin going along the central axis of the rocket so when the motor fires, a slight variance in the thrust vector won't severely and negatively impact the flight.

CaptnDave

Reaction score
This would probably be the epitome of 'model' rockets if someone did this. Come to think of it, there's probably enough combined knowledge, manpower, and available dedication of this forum, that if we wanted to (and had enough money), we probably could do it...

All of this is Theoretical though... right?

Koriel

Reaction score
Well As far as laws you have your countries laws if you launch it in that country and international laws which to be honest appear to be relative or more akin to agreements then anything.

So find a Island or place a boat in international waters and you would be okay, but that doesn't mean that some country Russia/ China / Japan / US / the European countries & on and on would not believe that your rocket would be threat if it malfunctioned and take actions to prevent such an occurrence.

Now if you could launch it and pack it with enough electronics it would be possible to get a payload to the moon and on the surface safely.

BUT that would require a serious AI. And as far as the rocket itself, doable.