Gaming Military personnel comment on being the Taliban in MOH

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the purpose of pointing out how simple it is to prove that point when it was posted not 1000 px up on the same page, and only that purpose.

oops, missed that. But I should point out that this was in response to Mantis' comment, about the taliban being barbaric and animals. In any case, I should have put a : "If anything" in front of my statement, because I obviously didn't mean to call the west barbaric (as shown by my own surprise). Fixed now.

I do believe however that the west is barbaric in being unable to accept others.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Overgeneralising a people by the crudest form, i.e "The East" or "The West", is a bad plan whichever side of the world you are on and doing it. People don't fit into boxes. Computer games do fit into boxes.

We are fundamentally different people, with different cultures, living all over the world in extraordinarily different countries where everything is different - the laws, the standards, and what people perceive as "acceptable" or even "expected" - all of these things are different for pretty much everyone posting in this thread.

As such, conversations like this will lead only to frustration, bickering, and flame warring. So there's no point in having it. I will reiterate for the third and final time my desire to return this thread to its original topic.

Chipstone306

Reaction score
As a current member of the Canadian Armed Forces, I thought I should share my opinion on the game...

I do play MOH when I have the time. I really dont care as to what side I play as I am there to have fun and interact with others in a community ( Much like this community ) Do I think that MOH does a good job simulating a war experiance? NO!

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

LATE NOTE

anyone play COD here too? I prefer MOH for the weapons and the team play but who can beat ZOMBIE NAZIs yay !

Last edited by a moderator:

Iberville

Reaction score
Iberville, I thank you for your service to your fellow man. I spent 10 years in the US Navy myself, luckily in my career I never had to see the horrors of what you have witnessed so far in yours...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

I'm running out of question! :) maybe it's because I am getting good at Orbiter!

And to come back to the original topic of the thread... I love playing video games. Between two patrols in kandahar City, or between two hard courses at university, I believe it as always been a good way to just decompress. I will probably play MOH anyway. it's just a VIDEO GAME. I never heard of Germans complaining about the dozens of games on World War 2. And I certainly not dislike germans because I play those games (we like you urwunpe! ).

But Orbiter is the most Intelligent game ever!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I never heard of Germans complaining about the dozens of games on World War 2. And I certainly not dislike germans because I play those games (we like you urwunpe! ).

I am no Nazi. :lol: (Note: Germany between 1933 and 1968 has very little in common with the modern Germany) Also I liked shooting some fellow German Nazi soldiers as well in BF1942. Or hunt German tanks in IL-2, even though my grandfather was tank driver and shot out of his tank. But in France, by infantry - as if it would change a thing. I don't shoot at my grandfather I shoot at game pieces.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I sense a lot of cultural dislike and distrust. Of course the majority of afghan citizens just want to lead normal lives and have their human interests at stake. And of course there is plenty of hate-mongering for "terrorists" in western countries.

Some things though, I do not think should be tolerated, like beating of children. Something that was legal in South Africa for example, only 20 years ago. Just because it is the norm, does not mean it is morally correct.

I think the title of foundation for modern western civilisation goes to the Romans and the Greeks (Rome has remained influential even since the fall of the Roman empire, due to it being the center of the Catholic church), though Arabic advances in things like science and medicine, especially during the European dark ages, must not be ignored.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some things though, I do not think should be tolerated, like beating of children. Something that was legal in South Africa for example, only 20 years ago.

That's not really different to Switzerland. And in each and every of our countries, it was still legal at the beginning of the last century. It's not like the west has a very long tradition of humane ethics, it's all a rather recent phenomenon. Just that the major changes happened in the previous generation, so people of our generation tend to think that it's always been this way. It's not. Allowing women to vote in Switzerland happened somewhere in the middle of the last century, the EU still has a member state where there's no legal basis for divorce... We are NOT as advanced as we might think.

Democracy is a process that needs time, and needs people in the right mindset to start with. In Iraq and Afhanistan, neither were they given time nor were they in the right mindset. Thinking that a democracy could be set up under such conditions was the major failure of the plan, together with cultural unsensitivity that confused a lot of natives and drove them directly into the arms of the militant resistance.
We have forgotten the way we came, and because of that we're expecting from others to walk the same way in a decade or even shorter times. It just won't work.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
OF Staff Note: Thread closed due to consistent off-topic posts.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm really disappointed you all couldn't get back on topic, even after multiple plea's from the moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.