Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Mantis

Reaction score
Whatever floats your boat. It's a game. If you want to play characters who in the words of the former Chief of the Defence Staff (Canada) Gen. Rick Hillier are "murderers and scumbags" then go ahead. It's not much different from playing murderers and scumbags in games such as Grand Theft Auto. My only hope is that they accurately portray the Taliban - have them deliberately target women and children, have them attempt to trick innocent children into becoming suicide bombers, have them murder women for such "crimes" as going to work, teachers for educating girls and children for flying kits or listening to music. I would only have a problem with it if they tried to make the Taliban out to be anything other than the scumbag terrorists that they are.

I can't imagine that it would make for much of an interesting game givent that the Taliban lose every battle they engage in in very spectacular fashion. For the most part they are combat ineffective which is why they resort to cowardly tactics such as IEDs and suicide bombers.

LuckyHendrix

Reaction score
I agree on your statement mantis,and I haven't played to MOH but form what I've seen It's not really decipting the reality of afghan war it's just another COD-like game.

But you say that using IED and suicide bombing is being combat inefective, I do not agree. this is asymetric warfare , using IED and suicide bomber is combat effective, it may-be amoral, and unfair, but it is how it works.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In other words, it doesn't bother you as long as it's a propaganda game without any real reference to reality.

I must say, I like my games usually without any real reference to (current) reality. If I wanted to go to Iraq, I could do so. I don't need a game for that. So, in a way, yes, it would be better if they wouldn't make it too realistic. On the other hand, propaganda has the terrible habit of seeming real enough to encourage hatemongering, so... I'd have to object against that.

I'd rather have them NOT make a game based on a current conflict. I'm with the first answer to the first question: It's war profiteering.

Mantis

Reaction score
I agree on your statement mantis,and I haven't played to MOH but form what I've seen It's not really decipting the reality of afghan war it's just another COD-like game.

But you say that using IED and suicide bombing is being combat inefective, I do not agree. this is asymetric warfare , using IED and suicide bomber is combat effective, it may-be amoral, and unfair, but it is how it works.

That is true. What I meant by "combat ineffective" was that they are no longer able to engage in major firefights with coalition troops. Our forces in Kandahar tore them to shreds every single time they attempted to engage them and they have essentially given up on doing so with the exception of small ambushes and the asymetrical tactics.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

In other words, it doesn't bother you as long as it's a propaganda game without any real reference to reality.

On the contrary....I don't want it to be a propaganda game. I want it to adequately portray the Taliban as the animals that they are.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
On the contrary....I don't want it to be a propaganda game. I want it to adequately portray the Taliban as the animals that they are.

And in this case, you have the propaganda already soo deep in your ethics, that you actually help them by calling them animals.

They are not.

First of all, you are insulting animals. Only few animals managed to do such stupid things as humans. May it be Taliban or US citizens. Taliban for example don't need to rape 14 year old girls after shooting their family. They can just marry them and do the stuff legally.

Second: What they do is just following the old rules. Which have always been tyranny written down as law. The same rules stand right there in your bible. You might ignore them to feel better, but you should actually remember them. and it is in all such laws, may it be in the Bible, the Quoran or unwritten tribal traditions in the Middle East, always good to be male. Because these laws had been written by male, corrupt, perverted tyrants. Not only does marriage bring you the right to do all the perverted stuff that not even the Bloodhound Gang would sing about, as man, you also have very liberal and unsophisticated divorcement laws.

If you still think, you are fighting animals, you have not understood the gearbox called world. You are fighting traditions. As long as old perverts think that they have a right to marry 9 year olds, despite actually not even the Quoran having any tolerance for that, shooting a few of their young Padawans won't change the world. More will come who think that it is their right to be like that. And they will fight for their right.

Is the dark side stronger? No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why is it a big deal? I spent my teen ages shooting down MiGs in flight simulators and watching Rambo. How much harm did it do to me?

You think bandeau look cool?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Why is it a big deal? I spent my teen ages shooting down MiGs in flight simulators and watching Rambo. How much harm did it do to me?
Exactly. When it is machines like planes of that nature it is ok, but when it is infantry, it is suddenly bad. The point is that both of it is "killing". No harm is done from playing these games unless you are a sociopath who is not capable of concluding what is right or wrong. It is not their responsibility to make a game that is suitable specifically to people's needs. That is exactly what freedom lets us do. Make games based on what we want. Also, 6 Days In Fallujah will be released this year as well and people are having the same problem with it too. They say that because the war is recent that it is not ok? Does that mean WW2 games in which thousands of Russian died at Stalingrad is ok because it is not recent? So I guess they think the people who survived that and the relatives of the lost men that day feel different about war. No. It is the same so just ignore the game for those people who don't support it. There is no reason to get mad.

Ark

Reaction score
I found myself agreeing with Polaski on a lot of points. The only disrespect comes from the corporate-backed gung-ho "I'm an invincible American slaughtering countless brown people" stuff.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I spent my teen ages shooting down MiGs in flight simulators

You gave me something to think about there... I never saw it like that with flight sims, but you're right, of course.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I found myself agreeing with Polaski on a lot of points. The only disrespect comes from the corporate-backed gung-ho "I'm an invincible American slaughtering countless brown people" stuff.
I'm surprised that an American would say that knowing that is not true. People develop products because it is business. No way in hell should business and politics be mixed together. People are aware that they are not invincible because they are American. Thats just a thought that some people think.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
No way in hell should business and politics be mixed together.

Happens everyday... We're more of a plutonomy now than a democracy.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Mantis said:
I want it to adequately portray the Taliban as the animals that they are.

I spent half of my life in that region. I have taliban friends, and I can be in fact considered a taliban. I have a beard, long hair for the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad. The hospitality towards guests, family values, the general treatment of one another is such that the western world can't even imagine.
People there (not in Pakistan, I mean the "pathan", afghani people) are selfless.

If anything, it is the western world that is barbaric and animal like. I hope to dear god that someday by some miracle westerners will learn to read a book.

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I read books all the time. Just last week I finished reading a Pratchett novel again.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I spent half of my life in that region. I have taliban friends, and I can be in fact considered a taliban. I have a beard, long hair for the sunnah of Prophet Muhammad. The hospitality towards guests, family values, the general treatment of one another is such that the western world can't even imagine.
People there (not in Pakistan, I mean the "pathan", afghani people) are selfless.

It is the western world that is barbaric and animal like. I hope to dear god that someday by some miracle westerners will learn to read a book.
I agree with you somewhat. It is just the extremists that I despise. The normal ones are just like any other humans who wouldn't want anybody else in their home waving guns, but unfortunately most of the Taliban wanted to kill Americans even before we were there. They are animals and cowards at ones. They hide in the mountains and use IEDs to kill our soldiers because they are too afraid to get in a firefight even with a small platoon, but when something of theirs go successful they are the first ones to claim the attack. Every country has these type of people who are either extreme or regulars. It seems that most in Afghanistan are maybe not who they seem to be. I just don't know. If hospitality means let the rivers run red with western blood then that is pretty crazy.

Iberville

Reaction score

It is the western world that is barbaric and animal like. I hope to dear god that someday by some miracle westerners will learn to read a book.

Oh my God, I really don't know if you are serious or if you are just joking...
In real life, I am an Army officer and i just completed a tour of duty in Afghanistan (working in a provincial reconstruction team). I have seen with my own eyes kids killed by IEDs and Afghans elders killed during meetings (that they call Shuras in Pashtuns, not pathan) by suicide attacks. I have seen newly built afghan institutions destroyed by insurgents that prefer chaos and murders instead of order like in a civilized country. I have seen honest workers killed because they sold or worked to or with ISAF members, just to gain bread and butter for their family. I have seen young police officer hung from a tree and indicated as traitor...
And belive me, I did not see a lot of book!

Everything in this country is a game of power: you will invite people to your home to show that you have a great home, that you are good, etc... If it fits your interest, you will even have a NATO general to eat at your table, only to stabe him in the back after. Talibans have absolutely no sens of honnor or no sense of what is a civilized people. And It probably have nothing to do with Islam. I could go on and on about that topic and fill this whole forum about examples.

During this time, westerners are dying to stabilize this country, to build institutions for the Afghans, to help kids go to school, and for what benefit? Certainly no oil or resources.

Should I continue???

Mantis

Reaction score
Oh my God, I really don't know if you are serious or if you are just joking...
In real life, I am an Army officer and i just completed a tour of duty in Afghanistan (working in a provincial reconstruction team). I have seen with my own eyes kids killed by IEDs and Afghans elders killed during meetings (that they call Shuras in Pashtuns, not pathan) by suicide attacks. I have seen newly built afghan institutions destroyed by insurgents that prefer chaos and murders instead of order like in a civilized country. I have seen honest workers killed because they sold or worked to or with ISAF members, just to gain bread and butter for their family. I have seen young police officer hung from a tree and indicated as traitor...
And belive me, I did not see a lot of book!

Everything in this country is a game of power: you will invite people to your home to show that you have a great home, that you are good, etc... If it fits your interest, you will even have a NATO general to eat at your table, only to stabe him in the back after. Talibans have absolutely no sens of honnor or no sense of what is a civilized people. And It probably have nothing to do with Islam. I could go on and on about that topic and fill this whole forum about examples.

During this time, westerners are dying to stabilize this country, to build institutions for the Afghans, to help kids go to school, and for what benefit? Certainly no oil or resources.

Should I continue???

Thank-you Iberville for posting the truth and thank-you especially for your service. The Taliban and Al Qaeda are barbarians and they are stuck in some dark age from the past. They don't care about life. They place no value in life, instead they worship death.

Status
Not open for further replies.