Question Microsoft Visual Studio 2017

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

a quick question for those who are much more expert than me in Visual studio versions etc.

I've been using for ages the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, which works quite fine.

Today I went online to just have a check on the newst Visual Studio versions to see if it was worthwile to purchase a new one and I found out that on the Microsoft Website there are basically three new Visual Studio 2017 versions, the first one is called "Community" and it's free.

Now, I use Visual Studio and C++ basically just for orbiter and other very small windows applications. Does the 2017 - Community version of Visual Studio fits my needings, or shall I stay with the old 2010 Ultimate?

Thank you in advance :tiphat:

:cheers:

Fred

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Community edition is fully featured and free for use by individuals.
If you go to 2017, you'll probably get a few nice features (I can't enumerate them off the top of my head), some fixed bugs, C++17 features, and the ability to open projects and solutions created with any past Visual Studio version.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So the limit is just commercial? No commercial use and that's it? If that's the case it's surely in my scope

Majid

Reaction score
I am currently using Visual Studio 2015 community edition and I have no problems.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
So the limit is just commercial? No commercial use and that's it? If that's the case it's surely in my scope
Commercial use is actually free too, so long as your company does not make over one million dollars annually or have over 250 PCs (and only five people in your company may use Community).

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I moved from VS2010 Express to VS2015 Community last year and was really happy with the change. Haven't jumped to VS2017 Community yet, but will do some time.

My biggest things in VS2015 vs VS2010 was C++ 11 support and Github support. C++ 11 ... tons of changes making things a pleasure in C++ development (e.g. lambdas, autos, standard threading). Github ... direct Commit/Sync/Push to Github.com from the VS IDE.

Downsides - unless the Linux/WINE/compatibility guys say otherwise ... there have been issues with the newer VC runtime under WINE. Worth checking in with some of these crazies (JK!), to see if this is a show-stopper for what you want to develop.