Problem mesh wizard error 13

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Understand this is an add on from a way back but it still has a use for me.

Tried to use it to merge two groups in a file and every time I get a Run Time Error 13 and it shuts down.

There is only one texture file for the whole mesh and the two groups share at least one face in common. i.e. at least one face on each group is touching.

The mesh loads ok into Orbiter and looks as it should.
It was made and exported from Wings3D.
Has a low to medium poly count

Any pointers welcome

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think the easiest way would be to import both meshes into 3d editor and merge them there & then export to msh again.

I suspect breaking occurs either on smothing or UVW coordinates.

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea but which 3D editor. I don't know of one which exports to Wings3D.
In the final, final, No more changes mesh I can get Wings to output as a single mesh but would like to do that only as a very last action.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well If it loads in meshwizard. You can save as as anim8or file and open in anim8or.

Or any 3d that can import from Orbiter.msh. Blender can

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can anim8or blend groups together?

Part of my thinking is to try and get a value of how much effect no. of textures / groups / polygons has on FPS. BUT I don't want to produce a single Wings3D mesh as it's easier to edit in parts.

Mesh wizard gives me an easy way get stats on the poly count et al and save it direct to orbiter to gauge impact.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What do you mean by blend groups together?

You can make groups into 1 group

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In wings you can have 3 meshs i.e. frame, engines and tanks in a single file which is exported as a single .msh
This could be 5 groups in orbiter i.e. frame_Texture, Engine1_Texture, Engine2_Texure, Tank_Texture and TankCopy3_texture

Later Wings3D will have a single mesh/Group/texture but for the moment I was hoping to keep them separate in wings but have MeshWizard merge them. All I keep getting is this "error 13"

Any idea what causes this error 13?

I have tried to merge almost any combination of my groups but each time its error 13

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ah. Here's the problem. Orbiter rendering system (both inline and d3d9) use single material per meshgroup. While many 3d editors can apply materials per polygon basis, orbiter is still limited to 1 material / colormap texture per meshgroup.

As gattispilot said you have to merge groups in 3d editor (blender, wings etc.), stich your texture maps into single one and then modify UVW coordinates of final objects so it matches your new texture.

There is max2msh script for 3ds max and GMAX which works both ways so you can import directly to GMAX, merge groups and edit UVW and then export results directly to orbiter msh format.

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Understand this is an add on from a way back but
Tried to use it to merge two groups in a file and every time I get a Run Time Error 13 and it shuts down.
With meshwizard, you can easily merge groups, BUT they must have no label.
(We can have often "mesh01" etc....)

1) If yes, double-click on the group(s), delete the name, and save mesh.
2) Then, re-open the mesh and select your desired groups (with no name, called "group n")
3) and finaly click on the "merge" button.

That's it...:tiphat:

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Post number ten = ten out of ten = top marks = thanks

Thanks so much, works a dream

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Meshwizard is very useful and very easy to use but it sometimes makes caprices ... :rofl:

it does not forgive anything. But when you know it well, it is irreplaceable !!!

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wanted to keep the groups separate in the Wings3D file to make changes easy but have the chance to make a one group orbiter file. Mesh wizard seemed to offer this route.

i) Export the many group file from orbiter ( once, process can be up to 5 mins just sat waiting)

ii) Import to MeshMaker, make change to mesh

iii) Save .msh

iv) open orbiter to see / test result

v) back to ii) ( no waiting!!)

By removing the labels ( once ) I can do just that.

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Can't one merge groups with Blender?:tiphat:
Certainly that one can...

I do not use blender, so I do not know it...
But as it is quite possible with anim8or, it is certainly possible with blender.

But it is often more useful to keep separate groups in your 3D software and then merge desired groups with Meshwizard for testing and final mesh.

Anyway this is what I used to do.

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
mesh software

AC3D is the most up to date mesh software you can try it for free for a month its very good and has an exporter for wings3D and Orbiter
I cant recommend it enough