Max gimbal angle for engines?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm somewhat getting back to working my Prometheus (again) and was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum gimbal angle of engines like the RS-68 is? I found the maximum angle of the SSME to be +/- 10.5 degrees, but I didn't know if it was any different for more conventional launch vehicles like the Delta IV or Atlas V.

Thanks!

Note to Mods: If there's a better place for discussion on real-life vehicle characteristics, feel free to move this there, the only other place that I thought fit was Brighton Lounge, but that's for anything, and this isn't strictly addon dev so...yea.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm somewhat getting back to working my Prometheus (again) and was wondering if anyone knew what the maximum gimbal angle of engines like the RS-68 is? I found the maximum angle of the SSME to be +/- 10.5 degrees, but I didn't know if it was any different for more conventional launch vehicles like the Delta IV or Atlas V.

It should be about the same magnitude, but there is a lot of variance among the rocket engines.

A NASA presentation assumes a 6° gimbal range of the RS-68 during the early SLS design:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20090014109.pdf

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So doing some quick vector math, when the engine is gimbaled to its maximum rotation, assuming a 3.3MN engine (a bit more powerful than the RS-68A), it would effectively exert a force of 344kN in the direction of rotation (well, technically opposite where the bell "points")?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RD-0120s on the Energia could gimbal up to 11[/FONT]°. Sometimes it needed all of those [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11[/FONT]°: