Mars Soil could Grow Asparagus

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Yes they did want to bring back some soil :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can propose a new DGIV payload module: Martian asparagus, white, cooled. Mr Creosote will love it!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There was a cool article in Air & Space magazine years ago about an idea for a sample return mission, involving a spin-stabilized rocket to reach low-Mars orbit. I wish I could find the article, it would have made a nice add-on.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
So... what about the atmosphere? Good or fatal for asparagus?

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
LOLOLOL! You guys crack me up!

Isn't the carbon dioxide just a bit too much for normal plants unless they were specially modified? I know CO2 is critical for plants, but I know that there is "too much of a good thing."

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Didn't Elon Musk originally have a plan to set up autonomous greenhouses having food crops, on mars? Its the high launch costs tat made him go for the launch business first in the form of SpaceX.

~
Thomas

Danny Ramone

Reaction score
Im pretty sure that plants only need CO2, Nitrogen and Carbon, alkaline soil, water and the right temperature/sunlight hours. I think the surface temperature of mars is quite low isn't it? thats nothing that an equatorial greenhouse won't fix.

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
Surely if you built a greenhouse on the surface, you could start it off by pumping in outside CO2 and using small tanks of O2 get the internal atmosphere started and then let the plants sustain the O2 (which if they made enough could be siphoned out and stored). You could generate heat from solar panels or a small reactor and let them grow in the martian soil...

But who wants asparagus? I might wait for the next planet that can grow cheeseburgers and potatoes...:p

stjimmy225

Reaction score
If you wanted to grow something just to make oxygen then there's nothing more efficient then a pond full of algae,easy to handle etc but not very tasty..

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Well, NASA is now saying that the ice etc. can help support a base on Mars.
http://www.computerworld.com/action...ArticleBasic&articleId=9104319&intsrc=hm_list

Just think about it. We can use Zubrin's approach, but we don't need to haul a big load of H2. We just have to send some solar panels/reactor if possible, melt and electrolyze the ice, do the thing with H2 and CO2 in the atmosphere to get Methane and O2.

We can have the hab and ascent vehicle fuelled and ready by the time the astronauts reach there.
~
Thomas

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
yes there is water on mars :)