News Mars One - settlement funded via reality TV in 2023

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Having looked through their entire website now I can say that is most defiantly possible that these guys could do it. As far as I can tell the 'Mars Suit' is the only thing needing R&D. Looking at the suppliers they've chosen doesn't show any flaws either, together they should be capable of doing this. Looking at their 'Ambassadors' a few of them seem a bit, shall we say, overconfident about a plan that hasn't even started yet, but nothing deal breaking. The only flaw is what to do if the proposed media hype doesn't materialize. I think its the best mars plan I've seen on the scale of 'Do-ableness'.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, the whole thing seems very technologically sound. I just question the ability to get funding, and their chosen means to get funding.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This sounds like a joke to me. This should be a prime example of why SpaceX's suggestions of rocket-landing Dragons and reusable Falcons aren't that bad; they may be extraordinary, but they don't have nearly as many empty claims and nonsensical statements as this.

It is not easy to live on Mars. It isn't even easy to visit Mars. This is mistake #1, and it is a very, very big mistake. You can't just invent a "cheap rover" that has rover-superpowers. Or mod a Dragon into a Mars hab, and assume that it'll work like a system in operation for decades, when you're entering totally unexplored territory (in the technological sense). Their claim of "no new developments" is a lie; it has to be said. Yes, you may not need nuclear-electric propulsion or ISRU or other proposals to fulfill this 'plan', but the hardware needed for landing on Mars doesn't exist. It has to be developed first. Development of space hardware, especially in a case like this is not easy, nor is it cheap. They make it all sound terribly easy, and that is nigh-delusional. Especially when you consider the unknowns. Of which there are a huge amount.

Financing such a program is an incredible burden that demands an extraordinary plan. "We'll sell the whole thing as the rights to a reality show" isn't a very good plan. Something like this will cost on the order of billions of dollars and not even exceptional success is likely to make it a viable venture. And spaceflight contains no half-naked cat-women, no asteroid thickets, no gunfights (you hope) and no exciting plotlines. Spaceflight is supposed to be boring- because boring is better than dead. It's a very different world from the edited footage of interesting people playing it up for the camera that makes up reality TV.

For example, just look at the viewership of NASA TV- and NASA TV is free. The public may be interested in spaceflight- they see a picture of Dragon grappled by the ISS, they read the headline, they're impressed, and then they move on. But hardly anyone (and I'm sure this includes many space enthusiasts) would want to watch, say, a live feed of COTS2+ on-end for several days. There's just nothing going on.

And there's a fine line between "emigration" and "going somewhere to die". Emigration generally requires that there's something to emigrate to- such an aim of a functioning society and considerable infrastructure. A few groups of four living out of a series of modified Dragon capsules is emphatically not that.

If you want to build a town in the middle of nowhere, the least you could do is put effort into learning how to actually build the town.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I can almost gaurantee you that this plan will be forgotten by the end of the year.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
While one way may sound great in theory. In practice it will be horrible.

#1 Radiation. Besides cold hard mass there is no proven protection from radiation. It is completely unethical to even attempt to say that someone should accept a high dose just for the chance to go to mars. And then what? If they have children how will they be affected by the dose received on the way? What about cosmic rays?

#2 Legal and National questions: One way means you intend to live there. Cool stuff except you have to answer some important questions.
-The UN has completely banned ownership of any body in space. That means other than the stuff you sent on the trip. Everything made of mars materials belongs to nobody.
"No politics – Suppliers are chosen on a balance of price and quality, not through political or national preferences." What about ITAR? Bigelow had to do mountains of paperwork before he could launch his modules. How can you claim no politics when you will be up to your eyeballs in it?

I respect that they want to stay as far away from Taxpayer funds as possible. However what I fear is that stuff like this if failed will be used by the "Old Space" crowd to erode political support for commercial manned spaceflight.

I hate to say it but Mars can wait. Mars needs at minimum VASIMR to be fully operational and a fully recoverable launcher to be even REMOTELY resistant to severe economic factors.

Oh and that is another thing. Let's say the company goes bankrupt after the first few missions. At that point NASA, China, Or Russia MUST get involved. No matter what promises are made the public will demand a rescue. Meaning untold billions spent to fast track an ERV.

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This is simply not going to happen. Watching people work in space holds absolutely NO interest for the average joe. Heck. I'll bet you that 99% of my friends have no idea that there's a NASA TV and even if they did, they wouldn't be interested in watching. The kind of work required to do what they would need to do would be long, arduous, and boring to watch. Zachstar also makes every point that I would make beyond that as well. This is a proposal that just is NOT going to happen.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
With enough hype and clever advertising, I don't doubt that such a show could be a success. For a few seasons. After that they'll have to introduce martians to keep it interesting. The major drawback (from an entertainment perspective) is that you can' switch the cast, and you can't have a competition, which are the two major factors that keep a simple concept like BB running for that long.

However, I don't believe for a second that producers of one of the most degenerate timewasters can pull off such an achievement as landing the first humans on another planet.

Also, 2023? yeah, right... it's so ridiculous it isn't even funny.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
I see problems with this big brother on mars program.

1: Will humans really stay a life on mars who go miss all family and friends in RL (Real life)?

2: How expensive go this be? And who go pay this?

3: How comes the crew on food and drink? Alone via Dragon mars cargo modules is in me opinion very (Maybe too) expensive.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Just a thought, has anyone found any info on resupply missions yet? Because you sure as hell can't fit 2 years worth of food and oxygen in a Dragon.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Just a thought, has anyone found any info on resupply missions yet? Because you sure as hell can't fit 2 years worth of food and oxygen in a Dragon.

No, but lots of Dragons could. Also, they apparently plan to rely on partial ISRU for life support.

http://mars-one.com/mission/technology

Supply Unit

This unit is a lander that contains supplies. The company that supplies the lander will also install the supplies into the lander - we expect this will be SpaceX. The lander will be equipped with a camera to send live images back to Earth.
Life Support Unit

In charge of caretaking is the Life Support Unit; a Lander that is rigged with various extra technologies to capitalize on the elements present on Mars. It uses these resources to create a habitable living environment for the astronauts. It does so in a number of ways.
First of all is energy, which is generated by thin film solar panels. These are flexible and can be rolled up for compact transportation and are rolled out on Mars.
Another vital task is the production of water, which is extracted from the water ice in the local ground soil. About 60 kilograms of soil is loaded into a container within the Life Support Unit by the Rover and heated to evaporate the water. The water is condensed and the dry soil is dumped. Part of the water is stored and part is used to produce oxygen. The Life Support Unit collects 1500 liters of water and 120 kilograms of oxygen in 500 days.
Finally, it filters the nitrogen and argon out of Mars' atmosphere and injects them into the habitat system as inert gases.
The Life Support Unit is connected to the Living Unit by a tube, which feeds the oxygen, nitrogen and argon through in order to create a habitable atmosphere. Once the astronauts have landed, it will also be in charge of the water purification and removal of harmful gases from the Living Unit atmosphere.
The Life Support Unit is hosted inside a Lander. Paragon Space Development can produce the life support technology itself. The company specializes in life support systems and produces parts for similar set-ups on the International Space Station.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is another possibility, of course: it is a hoax for some or other purpose. It may be an absurd possibility, but probably less so than people seriously suggesting this (sadly, however, people often do suggest stuff in spaceflight that makes no sense). The tone of the whole thing (as well as the promo video) is pretty fishy to me, like their use of "we will" instead of "we hope to" or "we plan to". That seems pretty overconfident to me (a bit like counting your Dragons before their GNC doors open). Maybe it's just wording to generate hype, but that's not very commendable even for a serious excersise.

Everything made of mars materials belongs to nobody.

If I understand correctly, something manufactured from extraterrestrial resources is owned by whoever manufactured it. Thus a bar of platinum mined from an asteroid (for example) belongs to whoever refined and cast it.

Not that ownership of the stuff that these people would need to survive on Mars is a particularly big issue- they're not trying to sell it or prevent people taking it away from them. The issue is creating it in the first place and actually ensuring that it works.

"No politics – Suppliers are chosen on a balance of price and quality, not through political or national preferences." What about ITAR? Bigelow had to do mountains of paperwork before he could launch his modules. How can you claim no politics when you will be up to your eyeballs in it?

That is a big problem indeed. This seems to stem from a Dutch company. How are they going to deal with ITAR regulations involving SpaceX spacecraft (for example)? If the candidates are internationally selected, how are they going to deal with them being involved with ITAR sensitive technology?

At that point NASA, China, Or Russia MUST get involved. No matter what promises are made the public will demand a rescue. Meaning untold billions spent to fast track an ERV.

Considering that these people are already going to Mars to die, the 'rescue' might simply consist of spending several million every so often to send along a resupply craft...

No, but lots of Dragons could.

"Lots of Dragons" could also transfer the ice sheet of Greeland to Ganymede. The actual practical considerations for doing so are, of course, an unimportant detail.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Please, please let them send Snookie and the rest of the Jersey Shore cast away to Mars.

I'll be all for this then.:tiphat:
No fair! How do they deserve to go to Mars and I don't?

Instead, let's send them to the moon, it's so much more cruel with the Earth hanging in the sky, just out of reach.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The tone of the whole thing (as well as the promo video) is pretty fishy to me, like their use of "we will" instead of "we hope to" or "we plan to".

Management and advertisement speak. Don't read too much into it. You learn this kind of stuff even for fundraising in the humanitairian biz. No larger organisation will give you money if you write stuff differently.

icedown

Reaction score
I love the idea. If we are ever going to start getting off this planet, we have to have a mass of people behind it. There are way to many people that say we need to go to mars but expect someone else to do it without costing them. Plus the majority of people fail to see how space travel is going to benefit them.

Not to mention the fact that there is a lot to be learned from the people who get sent out. No help, no backup, no escape. This sounds like an experiment in psychology to me. There have been very few space missions without a contingency rescue plan, and even fewer with multiple people on board. There will be problems, there will be personality conflicts. This looks like a giant scientific experiment rolled into a TV show. Makes it much easier for the public to digest and bigger companies to invest in.

Another thing is that if we can get them there, sustain them and get a couple consecutive repeats, technology may be to the point that a return trip may be possible.

This is a great idea that needs to be done, though I do think this will be just another dream that will become a parked domain in the near future. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
Please, please let them send Snookie and the rest of the Jersey Shore cast away to Mars.

I'll be all for this then.:tiphat:

Wouldn't it be better to cast them into the depths of space?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would rather not contaminate my second favourite planet with my least favourite people.

I rather suggest sending them to Venus. It's the only way to be... sure. :shifty: