News Mars One - settlement funded via reality TV in 2023

TaylorR137

Reaction score
http://mars-one.com/

Announced today, this groups plan aims to send people to Mars on one way trips with the first people arriving in 2023. The idea is to use SpaceX and other commercial hardware, and fund the venture by turning the astronauts lives into a reality TV show. They have "letters of interest" from their various suppliers.

It sounds crazy, but I think it's a great idea. We often bemoan the lack of interest in space exploration, but such events as this weeks SpaceX success are treated by the media as news. Image the effect it might have on our culture if real space exploration could become a popular form of entertainment.

Mikeol1987

Virtual Pilot & Orbinaut
Reaction score
the truth is it can't really have a date of aim until we know we can do it first. no commercial reality will be on mars for a long time, more like 2053

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
This seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I want the first humans on Mars to be part of a scientific expedition, maybe space tourism, but not some reality TV show.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
The only major problem I can see is finding sane people willing to take a One-Way Trip to mars. I mean, this is a really big jump. And then there's the fears if something goes wrong. You can't just pop down the hardware store. And we have no idea how long some of this equipment will continue working. And then there's problem of what do do once people start getting old. not to mention 4 people every 2 years is a pretty big ask.

Ok, so that's more than one problem, but it all comes under the banner of 'One-Way Trip', and I think you get the point. Don't get me wrong, I would be one of the first in line for something like this, but I'm not sure I'd want it to be permanent.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
You can watch NASA TV anytime. Astronauts...in space...for months. Reality.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I want the first humans on Mars to be part of a scientific expedition, maybe space tourism, but not some reality TV show.

Space tourism is the opposite of scientific exploration.

Mikeol1987

Virtual Pilot & Orbinaut
Reaction score
regardless of what I said before, I've already emailed them in how to get involved more actively, of course, investors and scientists first, but if the time comes, I want my seat. and I'm definitely not afraid to die nor come back, to have a name in a history of space, would be amazing.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If they're chosen based on scientific experience, then sure. But choosing them for more interesting TV...how about no.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Space tourism is the opposite of scientific exploration.

Yeah, but they could be either one. Just not reality TV.

"You're voted off the colony!"

(I know, not all reality TV is Survivor)

Last edited:

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They're also neglecting that most people wouldn't even really take an interest, unfortunately...

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Simple question.

Assuming the astronaut turned colonist volunteers why is it being a "one way trip" such a bad thing?

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I think your all getting too hung up on the words 'reality TV' and getting horrible images of Big Brother (shudder) in space. I will not be like that. From what I can tell it will be broadcast in the same way the Apollo missions were.

Thinking about it, Mars actually makes more sense for a colony than the moon. A day is roughly a day, gravity is 40% compared to only 12% of 1G. And I'm told the soil contains water. Mars also has an atmosphere. Not much of one but its there.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

Simple question.

Assuming the astronaut turned colonist volunteers why is it being a "one way trip" such a bad thing?

Its not. Its getting sane people to volunteer to take that massive leap.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Thinking about it, Mars actually makes more sense for a colony than the moon. A day is roughly a day, gravity is 40% compared to only 12% of 1G. And I'm told the soil contains water. Mars also has an atmosphere. Not much of one but its there.

It's also over 50 million kilometers away and nobody has ever safely traveled there.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

I would go to Mars, even knowing the risks. Life is a bit boring here on Earth.

I'd think it'd be more boring to live your entire life out on a few modified Dragon capsules.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
2011-09-12-darthvadernooo.jpg

Last edited:

sorindafabico

Reaction score
I'd think it'd be more boring to live your entire life out on a few modified Dragon capsules.

I'll be 38 in 2022, half-life on Earth, half on Mars. Personally, to live half of my life around a few modified Dragon capsules will be more interesting because of the harsh environment - and the challenges it presents - and the original research I could do there.

I have a common job, I would change my mind if I found a more challenging job right here on Earth.

I'm not thinking how it would be boring to stay in a capsule in my spare time, I'm wondering what I could do most of the time. After all, we spend most of the time involved with our work, and I would be space colonist, not space tourist.

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

I must admit, this page has me slightly worried: http://mars-one.com/faq-en/21-faq-selection/183-which-group-gets-to-go-first

Now I'm going to bed before I explode with hype.
Houston, we have a problem :lol: