News Manchester Arena blast: 19 dead and about 50 hurt

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hate to encroach on basement territory, but... isn't the current ruling coalition in Parliament led by the equivalent of the GOP in the US? If so, that'd be a pretty good reason why the uptick in threat level... they're tapping into people's xenophobia and Islamophobia just before the election.

We haven't a coalition in government now, the Conservative Party won with a majority, though its not very big, less than twenty I think?

I don't believe the Threat Level is decided by politicians. Its a recommendation from all the security agencies, probably the Civil Service handles it. So it should be free from political interference.

Edit: nearly got it right!
https://www.mi5.gov.uk/threat-levels

N.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You're volunteering, I assume?
Love to but I have an intellectual disability. We tried to get me enlisted years back and I have been rejected. Shame really

Are you paraphrasing a militant recruitment parole? Incidently, they didn't send anybody. The suspected perpetrator was born in Britain.

Edit: I realise that this post could sound frivolous. That is not the intention. What I want to say is that simplistic solutions that dish out revenge on "them" very easily lead to arguments that sound similar to the arguments that may be used to radicalise extremists in the first place.

I didnt mean it that way but it pisses me off that its all talk, no action. yet they keep bring in these guys when they know the consequences.

To make it lighthearted and funny, watch this video

Im going to end it right here because this is starting to encroach to political debate.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
We haven't a coalition in government now, the Conservative Party won with a majority, though its not very big, less than twenty I think?

I don't believe the Threat Level is decided by politicians. Its a recommendation from all the security agencies, probably the Civil Service handles it. So it should be free from political interference.

Edit: nearly got it right!
https://www.mi5.gov.uk/threat-levels

N.

Well, yes, but since the call for the Election Parliament was dissolved, so we technically don't have a government at all until June 9th.

Anything deeper we'll leave to the basement, I can feel this thread slipping that way already.

Last I heard the final count of the dead was 22, mostly children. I can't think of the proper words to express how that makes me feel.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My sister attended the same primary school as the little girl who was killed. My dad tells me the main road through the village is now festooned with pink ribbons and balloons. Can't type any more - cant see the screen clearly.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Awfull, take care for you and yours,

N.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, sorry for what you all must be going through. Everyone, please hold your children a little tighter today. :(

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...hester/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This is saddening. It's not the first time in recent years that the attacker was already known. It seems that the solution to this problem might not be to lock people out, but to increase the communication and coordination between countries and government agencies within countries.

The title is a bit disingenuous:
Security services missed five opportunities to stop the Manchester bomber

We don't prosecute people before they commit a crime, so you can't just lock somebody up for maybe, possibly committing a crime in the future. But there is an argument to be made for closer scrutiny of people that are repeat offenders.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I disagree. If someone is in my home, telling guests, he thinks killing children is ok. I'm throwing the bastard out.