Project Lunar Excursion Vehicle (LEV)

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
0488.jpg

As the Light Weight Lunar Lander is much fun to fly, I revisited another light Lunar lander concept from 2019.
This concept was proposed by Robert Zubrin in the article Moon Direct on The New Atlantis.

He proposed an LH2/LOX vessel to pick up the crew in low Earth orbit, ferry them directly to the Moon, and return them to LEO later.
The vessel should be small enough to fit on a FalconHeavy, while the crew would follow in Dragon spacecraft.

Later - when water and fuel production would be available on the Moon - the LEV could be used to explore the Lunar surface at a much wider range than a wheeled rover.
___
To achieve this dual use, the Orbiter vessel can be switched between the classical tailsitter mode for deep-space maneuvers, and hover mode to fly around the Lunar surface by pressing the [M] key. When inside the cockpit, you will notice a 90° change of the viewing direction. The modes use their respective engine configurations (main and hover engine). Switch modes only in free flight, not when docked or main engines firing.

A special thanks to BrianJ, who provided me with the code to rotate the vesselstate for the Mars Ascent Vehicle, years ago. ;)

Attachments

• LEV-01.zip
    660.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now 2 LEV'S. My Lunar Electric Vehicle and now your yours.
:D

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Now 2 LEV'S. My Lunar Electric Vehicle and now your yours.

Ah, right! :) Those 3-letter abbreviations seem to be quite popular for spacecrafts.
I will mention the 'excursion' when referencing to it.

If it is too confusing for the users, maybe I add a nickname to it.
'Snoopy' comes to my mind. This is from a time when spacecraft names were less prestigious, more easy and fun! :)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ah, right! :) Those 3-letter abbreviations seem to be quite popular for spacecrafts.
I will mention the 'excursion' when referencing to it.

If it is too confusing for the users, maybe I add a nickname to it.
'Snoopy' comes to my mind. This is from a time when spacecraft names were less prestigious, more easy and fun! :)
Already taken by the Apollo 10 LM. CM was Charlie Brown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacecraft_call_signs

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Hi guys! Sorry, the 'Texture' folder was missing in the zip-file.
Updated the zip-file to 'LEV-01.zip', which now includes the textures.

No other changes were made.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
'M' changes the flight mode, which also extends the gear.
Mode 0 is the launch configuration with the gear retracted, 1 is the upward looking tailsitter, 2 is the forward looking hover craft.
After the inital gear deploy, the 'M' key toggles between 1 and 2.