Request Looking for modeler

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
I have a vessel that needs to be completely remodeled to try and bring down the poly count so that it can be textured and improved. I have a number of ideas for this ship but have absolutely no modeling skill. Any modelers out there feeling adventurous?

This is the FLAMBERGE from Infinity-the quest for earth, but the concept was abandoned and completely redesigned. I have several renders of the ship for use as reference if needed.

Done right, this could be just about the ultimate ship for use in the orbiter galaxy :)

Attachments

• Flamberge and Galacticas old and new lol 2.jpg
    Flamberge and Galacticas old and new lol 2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Flamberge bridge.jpg
    Flamberge bridge.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Flamberge arrives at Sky bridge mars 6.jpg
    Flamberge arrives at Sky bridge mars 6.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Flamberge arrives at Sky bridge mars 2.jpg
    Flamberge arrives at Sky bridge mars 2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since you say you don't have modeling skills, the natural question is where did you take the model from. Are you sure you're allowed to use it?

also, what's the polycount currently?

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Since you say you don't have modeling skills, the natural question is where did you take the model from. Are you sure you're allowed to use it?

also, what's the polycount currently?

The person who created the model has told me that he has no further interest in it, and the person who originally developed the concept has quit, and publicly stated that all of his models are up for grabs. As I said; the ship, in this version, has been scrapped and completely redesigned to the point that it no longer even resembles the original. As far as where I got it, the person who made the model for orbiter (the person stating that he has no more interest in the model) made it about 2 years ago, so that he could make some screen shots. He then posted it publicly on the forum, which is where I got it. When I asked him about it at the time, he stated that he had no intention in going any further with the model; when I asked him recently, he stated that he had no further interest in it at all. (seeing the screenshot he made from it is how I heard about orbiter :) )

As far as poly count...I have no idea. A friend of mine tried to open it with either mesh editor or mesh wizard and told me that the poly count is so high that it crashed the mesh program.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As far as poly count...I have no idea. A friend of mine tried to open it with either mesh editor or mesh wizard and told me that the poly count is so high that it crashed the mesh program.

If anyone's going to work on it he'll need it in 3ds or somesuch anyways. How does the framerate behave when loading it into Orbiter? The model doesn't look so scarry, considering its size. Such a massive thing would deserve a high polycount. Since it was actually written as an In-game model, I don't think the polycount should be too high.

But making textures for this behemoth would still take quite a while.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
When running the flamberge docked at ISS in 2010 I get 20-24 fps, but that's just my old(ish) laptop. The default ISS scenario in orbiter runs at 26 fps.

Kendo

Reaction score
With such a small difference in FPS, it almost sounds as you don,t need to reduce the poly count. It would be a shame to lose detail. I often think models in Orbiter are too small sometimes.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
With such a small difference in FPS, it almost sounds as you don,t need to reduce the poly count. It would be a shame to lose detail. I often think models in Orbiter are too small sometimes.

I don't know that it's necessarily a matter of losing any detail. Part of the problem (I believe) is the face that there is a whole lot of what seems like unnecessary crap inside the model. If there is need to cut down on the detail, I think that could be accomplished by replacing the engine radiator like fins along the sides and front top and bottom of the main hull with solid plate. I think this could reduce the poly count effectively without unnecessarily sacrificing the look of the vessel.

As I said, I have some ideas on things that could be done with this if the poly count can be reduced. There are a large number of weapon hardpoints (both large and small) on the ship that should have something modeled onto them. Guns are just one idea. The ship could be turned into a carrier by putting two deck hangar modules on the large mounts. It could be turned into an extremely long range scout/exploration vessel by putting radio telescopes on the large mounts and optical telescopes on the small ones (interferometry - it's a big ass ship :) )

The original renderings of the ship show the bridge area to be a mass of small windows. I think it would look awesome to have that entire bridge area done as a single titanic window.

There is what appears to be a radome on top of the bridge, behind the antenna dish. I've spacewalked a ummu around 9and through) it and think that it would look perfect as the captains cabin, with a glass dome :)

It needs a proper .dll written for it so that it can be edited into a scenario, and possibly assigned a name (so if you have more than one...)

Pipe dreams include a vc and possibly a functional jump drive, but again, just pipe dreams

These are just some ideas. The most important thing though is simply to get the thing textured so that it looks prettier than flat, mesh grey.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like you got your work cut out for you :lol:

go get blender, some tutorials, start and learn!

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
:) Well, it was worth a shot. I was just hoping to get it done before orbiter 2015 comes out. :(

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
you know, there's nothing wrong with firsts, and some times they can scoop you up and boost you along in a learning curve you never thought yourself capable of handling. Take Orbiter Galaxy for an example: It's my first orbiter add-on, my first serious C++ application, the first time I worked with a 3-d engine, and the first time I bothered with details of astrophysics. And it took only about one and a half years to get me where I'm at now.

I think you might get some old members of the Rag-Tag fleet to help you out, since such a ship lies pretty much on their line.

Last edited:

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried TGEP and JON first, but TGEP is the one who said it was too big. Not to mention that the both of them are up to there ears in projects already.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Sigh, looks like this was a failed idea :( If anybody wants a copy of the ship as it is, I can upload it to the hangar.

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
if you want i will look at it .send the 3ds file or the mesh and i'll see what i can do with it.