OHM LolaMFD 2010 v3.0 BETA

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Author: rossco

This is a minor update to the 2010 version of LOLAMFD. I believe it fixes the TAIL SITTER bug where tail sitters could not land or do other manouvers. I have this marked it as BETA and ask other Orbinauts familiar with LOLA to please test it on TAIL SITTERS and other hover craft. Please provide feedback in the attached forum thread.

There appear to however still be other bugs in 2010 LOLA that mean multiple runs of Orbiter using it will crash. In addition, this version was compiled with VS2008 and may need the VS2008 redistributable runtime installed, though this is not certain and you should try without first.

Please read the included readme.

All hail Lazy D and all who have worked on Lola since......

DOWNLOAD

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
How do we get Lola to recognize that a craft is a tailsitter? Do I need to completely remove any reference to hover engines?

Edit: Is it the ENG button? Cause that one is causing an immediate crash to desktop. Problem is, I'm checking it on a craft I'm developing, so it might be something I'm doing wrong.

I have limited time today, but I'll check it out on other tailsitters when I can.

Last edited:

Rossco

Reaction score
Mandella,
a TailSitter is not really defined, but in the LOLA code different routes are taken depending on different attributes of the craft. If a craft has a MAIN engine but not a HOVER engine, its effectively a tail sitter. If a craft has a HOVER engine (irrespective of if it also has a MAIN or not) its a Hover craft for landing and takeoff purpose.

Depending of these LOLA uses either the MAIN or HOVER engines and also orients the craft on different AXES to set the attitude of the craft to manouver.

Delta glider is in the HOVER type as it has hover engines as well as mains. The LM in AMSO is in the HOVER type as it only has HOVER engines. The LM derived vehicles and LESA in my Beyond Apollo add-on are tail sitters as they are configured only with MAIN's.

LOLA has some code that enquires on the potential max thrust of MAINS and HOVERS. Basically if the thrust is above 0, the engine exists.

As for the ENG (Engage) button, I dont use it to start descents (my main use of LOLA). I use < and > to select the ship to land, push REG to register it, push > again to confirm it is selected, then push LIS to go to the menu list and select descend etc.

I have only used ENG to disengage LOLA when safely down on the lunar surface as sometimes it doesnt switch off correctly.

cheers
Ross

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Mandella,
a TailSitter is not really defined, but in the LOLA code different routes are taken depending on different attributes of the craft. If a craft has a MAIN engine but not a HOVER engine, its effectively a tail sitter. If a craft has a HOVER engine (irrespective of if it also has a MAIN or not) its a Hover craft for landing and takeoff purpose.

Okay thanks. I was thinking there was a toggle. Going to be a few hours, but when I get home I'll remove all reference to HOVER in my ship's .ini and see if that fixes it up.

Glad to see you're working on this, btw!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Don't know why I never tried this before, it works flawlessly with my Jason LL.

Thank you!

toddhisattva

Reaction score
Works with CMLander in my very crowded Orbiter 2010 + D3D9 Client install. Danke viele schön!

(CMLander [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5305"]CMlander[/ame])

Interceptor

Reaction score
OK,tried it with the DGIV,and everything is good until it lands looking straight up,also tried it with andy44s lunar space shuttle and it crashes to the ground.

leo9man

Reaction score
Excellent. Landed Rocket-ship Heinlein at lunar base Heinlein from a 60K orbit.

Good work. :tiphat:

Screamer7

Reaction score
You are on the right track. The "beyond Apollo scenarios work as well as amso.
What does not work is the XR family.
What is the "255" numeral's in the upper right part of the mfd?
Otherwise...good job.

Correction....
I was able to land the XR5 on Brighton beach.
It does that strange "pulsating" effect on the hover thrusters, but manage to land.

Last edited:

leo9man

Reaction score
Aries 1b lands perfectly at Clavius Base. In WO2001

:cheers:

Interceptor

Reaction score
OK,tried it with the DGIV,and everything is good until it lands looking straight up,also tried it with andy44s lunar space shuttle and it crashes to the ground.
OK,it works great now with the DGIV,but you have to have the hover doors open.:thumbup:

mjanicki

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Perfect moon landings with Shuttle-A UMMU hover engines. Some previous versions of LOLA had problems with the Shuttle-A, but I noted no difficulties with this Beta version.

-- Mike

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like a success. I've been using this on all my tailsitters for weeks with no more glitches than, well, Lola ever had.

I'd suggest removing the BETA from the title now, as that might be scaring off potential downloaders. Once you do that I'll either remove my "No Debug" version, or put in a note that yours supersedes mine. (I can see where we might want to have both versions out there, in case somebody has a craft that can operate in both tailsitter and hover mode, in which case Lola might get confused.)

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hello,I just tried it out with Greg Burchs LSTS231,and with out much success,everytime I try to land it at base using LOLA it either eventualy goes into NA space,or crashes into the planet.Has anybody had some luck with this ship?Thanks

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,I just tried it out with Greg Burchs LSTS231,and with out much success,everytime I try to land it at base using LOLA it either eventualy goes into NA space,or crashes into the planet.Has anybody had some luck with this ship?Thanks

Does it work with my "No Debug Line But Also No Tailsitter" version?

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5579"]LolaMFD_01282012[/ame]

I ask because I've used Lola No Debug with little problem with all of Greg's craft, although sometimes one must manually set up the approach or deorbit within pretty tight parameters and let the autopilot just handle the final approach. (Usually just setting up an orbit overflying no more than twenty kilometers over the base would do it, waiting to turn on the autopilot until the base comes over the horizon.)

See if that works with Rossco's version.

Interceptor

Reaction score
OK,Thanks Mandella I will give it a try,using your suggestion with both versions of Lola, and get back with you.:thumbup:

---------- Post added 04-24-12 at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-23-12 at 01:07 PM ----------

Does it work with my "No Debug Line But Also No Tailsitter" version?

LolaMFD_01282012

I ask because I've used Lola No Debug with little problem with all of Greg's craft, although sometimes one must manually set up the approach or deorbit within pretty tight parameters and let the autopilot just handle the final approach. (Usually just setting up an orbit overflying no more than twenty kilometers over the base would do it, waiting to turn on the autopilot until the base comes over the horizon.)

See if that works with Rossco's version.
HI Mandella,nope it goes into NA space,with both versions of Lola,with Gregs LSTS 231,I followed your exact instructions like you said to do.Thanks:facepalm:

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
OK,Thanks Mandella I will give it a try,using your suggestion with both versions of Lola, and get back with you.:thumbup:

---------- Post added 04-24-12 at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-23-12 at 01:07 PM ----------

HI Mandella,nope it goes into NA space,with both versions of Lola,with Gregs LSTS 231,I followed your exact instructions like you said to do.Thanks:facepalm:

Where you try to land?
I check with LSTS 231 and do perfect land.

Interceptor

Reaction score
HI,liber,what version of Lola did you use with LSTS231?,and could you please describe in great detail of your alt,dis,and orbit it took to get the LSTS231,and Lola to acomplish this. I was trying to land on the Moon at HeinLein space base,from an orbit,not suborbit,the suborbit AP in the current version of Lola works just fine,and it flys past the pad then it flys back to it again,and passes the pad twice,and then eventualy crashes into the ground.Thanks

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
HI,liber,what version of Lola did you use with LSTS231?,and could you please describe in great detail of your alt,dis,and orbit it took to get the LSTS231,and Lola to acomplish this. I was trying to land on the Moon at HeinLein space base,from an orbit,not suborbit,the suborbit AP in the current version of Lola works just fine,and it flys past the pad then it flys back to it again,and passes the pad twice,and then eventualy crashes into the ground.Thanks

I think if you have enough fuel altitude is not to important with lola so far.

I use this LolaMFD 2010 v3.0 BETA...

If you trying to land something like this you will fail,I do,target to Hadley but way of course,hard to correct for lola:

282oxlu.jpg

try to line up your orbit with base I think there would be no problem with lola,small course correction lola do fine.

Like this:

2utst9x.jpg